The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

She may not look like much......

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2020, 07:03 PM

She may not look like much......

But she's got it where it counts kid. My great grandmother bought this car in 66 after my great grandfather died. It has been in the family since then and I finally got ahold of it. Has the 330 and 46,000 original miles. Other than maintenance nothing has been done but the paint on the trunk will have to be refinished at some point. I have the original window tag and manuals as well (sold for about 4500 in 66.)

Out at the park

Driveway before wash and wax
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:06 PM

Need to do a tune up seriously. My uncle let it sit for years only driving it occasionally (every couple years.) Have had fluids changed but it's been running pretty rich coming back from Colorado to Missouri. A little rough to start when it's cold as well. Debating pulling the carb and at least cleaning it if nothing else but I've never done that before.
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. That will keep you busy for a little while and the plus is you know the history.
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site. That will keep you busy for a little while and the plus is you know the history.
I have wanted this car since I was 10.

ETA: The interior is pristine. I'll get some pictures tomorrow once I get some other cleaning done.
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:21 PM

Nice! Not many of us have the history and family connections with our cars like you do with this one. That makes it very worthwhile for you to keep and enjoy.
Old February 28th, 2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Nice! Not many of us have the history and family connections with our cars like you do with this one. That makes it very worthwhile for you to keep and enjoy.
My grandfather used to restore classic cars over the winter and sell them. I also have a 64 1/2 (65 technically) Mustang that he restored. Unfortunately I blew a freeze plug, lost oil pressure, spun a bearing, and cracked cylinder 4's piston. Still trying to get to where I can finish putting it back together. Have all the parts but just haven't had the time or the money when I've had the time to finish putting it back together. I really wish I could have gotten his 41 Chevy Fleetmaster. It was a beautiful dark metallic blue.
Old February 29th, 2020, 12:04 AM

Looks good to me. Great condition, great engine. My first Olds was a 330 powered 67 Cutlass. With similar mileage to your Jetstar but we are talking 30 + years ago. Helluva car, I've been an Olds guy ever since. Best of luck with your new to you ride and welcome aboard.

PS What 330 does she have factory 2bbl or 4bbl ?
Old February 29th, 2020, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Looks good to me. Great condition, great engine. My first Olds was a 330 powered 67 Cutlass. With similar mileage to your Jetstar but we are talking 30 + years ago. Helluva car, I've been an Olds guy ever since. Best of luck with your new to you ride and welcome aboard.

PS What 330 does she have factory 2bbl or 4bbl ?
She's running the two barrel madness with the two speed transmission.

Last edited by Aragorn; February 29th, 2020 at 12:36 AM.
Old February 29th, 2020, 07:08 AM
Always room for one more

Welcome. Love the full size 66's.

Old February 29th, 2020, 10:49 AM

AM radio still works. need to fix the environmental controls at some point.

Need to detail the engine badly but did get the cover shroud cleaned up.

I was off a little, $4100
As promised more pictures. Still need to detail the engine compartment badly and still need to do a tune up.
Old February 29th, 2020, 11:28 AM

WOW, nice. That is an ideal road-trip car, 2bbl and Jetaway and room for 6 (it probably has a tall rear gear too), with a trunk that carries more than 6 carry-ons or a spinet piano. I bet it gets 18 MPG or better on the road..... at 70MPH.

Get that carb rebuilt (2GC Rochester's are easy DIYs) and you'll be happy for another 100,000 miles with regular maintenance (although check the timing for any jitter that might indicate a worn timing set...…...if so get that replaced right away because the factory cam sprocket uses nylon teeth that are prone to wear / age / crack).

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; February 29th, 2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old February 29th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Just love hearing about family history vehicles... Another piece of Oldsmobile history being saved...
Old February 29th, 2020, 05:15 PM

Man, that interior looks perfect! What a great cruiser!!
Old February 29th, 2020, 06:00 PM

OHHH YEAHHH! Welcome, definitely a cool Olds!
Old February 29th, 2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Man, that interior looks perfect! What a great cruiser!!
It's almost perfect interior wise. There is one worn spot on the driver's side door from people getting in and out. She drove it twice a week to church and the grocery store and that was about it. Beyond that it was parked in the garage. Only problem is it won't really fit in my current garage so am going to have to bust posterior to finish this house up to sell so I can move somewhere I can store my toys.

Did change the spark plugs but they may be too cool for the engine (r43s was all that was available) so I may have to wait till I start getting paid again to do a thorough tune up. (Layed off in November, start a new job but only get paid once a month.) Starts a lot better with the new plugs while warm (previously had to pump 5 times and keep a little flowing, after change started right up without the pumps while warm.) Will see how she starts tomorrow for the trip to the car show. At least the wires are relatively new.
Old February 29th, 2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
WOW, nice. That is an ideal road-trip car, 2bbl and Jetaway and room for 6 (it probably has a tall rear gear too), with a trunk that carries more than 6 carry-ons or a spinet piano. I bet it gets 18 MPG or better on the road..... at 70MPH.

Get that carb rebuilt (2GC Rochester's are easy DIYs) and you'll be happy for another 100,000 miles with regular maintenance (although check the timing for any jitter that might indicate a worn timing set...…...if so get that replaced right away because the factory cam sprocket uses nylon teeth that are prone to wear / age / crack).
I've got a box of snow chains and two studded snow tires in the trunk right now and still have room for luggage or whatever else I want to haul. Need to get the snow tires taken off the rims and change one to a spare though. Not driving the car in the snow unless it's a dire emergency. I have a pickup for that business.

Unfortunately the original jack broke bringing it back from Colorado. Friend borrowed his dad's suv and trailer because I didn't know what condition it was in, loaded the car on the trailer, got about halfway up Cero pass and the SUV decided to spin 3 bearings. Limped it back to Montrose and rented a uhaul to tow the SUV on the trailer the olds was supposed to be on. Decided to go I 70 instead of Monarch and one of the trailer tires blew next to a Rod Shop (awesome people let us borrow some tools we didn't have and had some awesome cars they were working on.) Tried using the olds jack and it almost got the trailer tire off the ground but broke on the last lift. Will have to source a "new" one for completeness at some point.

Last edited by Aragorn; February 29th, 2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old February 29th, 2020, 07:29 PM

Welcome! Nice interior.
Old March 4th, 2020, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Aragorn
She's running the two barrel madness with the two speed transmission.
Nice, great little engine. I had the exact same one. Down to the same black air cleaner housing with Jetfire decal. My Cutlass had the same hubcaps also. I couldn't hurt my 330 with a youthful heavy foot and a manual 3 speed that eventually became a 4 speed with a 3.08 open rear. The Jetaway is so tame the engine should last you forever...

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Absolutely Johnny nailed it !

Replacing the timing chain kit will give you peace of mind. As well as having the carburetor rebuilt etc. As i mentioned in another thread great engine but very limited for enhancement in stock form. Converting mine over to 4bbl etc was in fact a waste of time and money imho. My car was at its best stock. Had it almost 20 years put about 80,000 miles on it and sold it still running like a champ at well over 100,000 miles.
Old March 4th, 2020, 06:10 PM

I should probably ask in the sub forums but which of the sets would you go with? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/oldsmobile,1966,jetstar+88,5.4l+330cid+v8,1346374, engine,timing+set,5756
Old March 4th, 2020, 10:35 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome to classicoldsmobile . com .
Come and join the " Darksiders " ('61 thru '70 Big cars ) at this thread;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-unite-83695/
Old March 5th, 2020, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aragorn
I should probably ask in the sub forums but which of the sets would you go with? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/oldsmobile,1966,jetstar+88,5.4l+330cid+v8,1346374, engine,timing+set,5756
The link will not open, tried on several different computing platforms...

In any case I recently had the timing chain set replaced on my 350. I went with Federal-Mogul’s Sealed Power CTS -1005, worked out great. I believe the only additional gasket I needed was for the water neck outlet.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old March 5th, 2020, 03:28 PM

My first Olds was a 66 F85 2 Dr with a 330 2 bll. Wish I had that one back, lol. I remember it getting great mileage but still having good power.