The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

?'s about Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM

?'s about Heater Core

Hello all and Thanks for having this site very helpfull and I love reading the posts n pics of everyone's beautiful pieces of history. My ? is that I'm switching my Cutlass over to non A/C but was wondering can I put the non A/C heater core in a A/C equipped heater box or do I have to run the A/C heater for fit wise. I'm sorry my baby is a '74 Cutlass Supreme if that helps. Thank You

Last edited by lil scorpio; December 8th, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM

In the spirit of thing's I figured I'd give the details of how I got her. I'm the 3rd owner 2 elderly woman befor me, the first owner bought it brand new off the lot in Enumclaw,WA in late '74 and drove it around for over ten years putting roughly 75,000 miles on it give or take a thousand. Then when her health started to decline in the mid to late '80's she sold to a friend that had fallen in love with the car. She drove it for at least 10 year's then her eye site went bad on her in '98 so she couldn't renew her liscense. Then sadly she let the car sit and rot for 5 years at her mechanics house right up the road from where I live. I originaly went to see if I could purchase the car after drivin by it for the 5 years but when I aproached the mechanic I was sadly informed that it was already sold to some one befor I had asked. 3 months later it still sat there so I went and asked again to inquire about the car, I was then informed the man had never come back with the money to get the car. I went and looked at the car inside and out to make sure it was worth it thinking I was going to have to deal with a junker or a high priced project I examined it inside and out. I noticed right off the bat that the car was all original all matching #'s in and out which blew my mind then I gritted my teath and asked how much for the car the reply from the mechanic was that since the older woman new that I had fallen in love with the car she would make me a special deal. $100.00 later and I owned the car, upon getting it home I found all the original paperwork including the original bill of sale and window sticker plus a 15 year history of work done to it by GM from '74 on. The car had 120,000 original miles which is now up to 170,000 miles and no matter what I will not sell my Cutlass for any amount of money in the world. The spec's are as follow 350R/TH350 behind it, originaly a bench seat car which now is Laguna swivel buckets with the factory floor shift instead of column shift, as I said it was an A/C but soon to be non A/C car, all the trim is being removed for fixing holes under the vynil top yuck and a few in the lower common area's, the hood as been swapped out for the one year only '73 Cutlass S dual louver hood, also I have all stainless trim from '73 going on as soon as it's painted next year hopefully and many other things that I'm slowly changeing to what I want it to be option wise. Everything is from '73-'75 parts wise and as original as possible I avoid aftermarket anything if I can.I love my car it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and worth every penny that goes into it. Thank You all for haveing this site for the true Oldsmobile lovers cus once you own um most people never let them go.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you decided to join us.

How about posting some pics of your project
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome!!! We like pics!!!!
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM

pics of my Cutlass

hello and thanks for the welcome here are some pics of my Cutlass.'74 Olds Cutlass 2 Fall 2007.jpg

'74 Olds Cutlass Fall 2007.jpg

PICT0006.jpg
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Cool car!
I like the 2 tone theme in the pic. Both with the shed and the car.

What are the plans for it?

There's nothing that can't be fixed on those cars and if you ever retire the old gal, send it on over to 2blu442 in Oregon.
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Smile Hot stuff

The two cores have different pipe layouts from each other and I think the A/C core is slightly larger...If you are using the A/C heater box then use the A/C core...If you are using the non A/C box then 'you know'
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Welcome. Nice car!