The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Question about the Vin Decode tool

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2016, 07:43 PM

Question about the Vin Decode tool

I put in my Vin # and it gave me A message asking for A 17 digit Vin. My Vin is only 13 digits do I place 4 zeros in the front?
Old November 26th, 2016, 07:49 PM

Try this site. Works for me all the time, and it's smart enough to notice how many characters are in the VIN and decode accordingly.

http://www.v8cars.hu/oldsvin/decode.php
Old November 26th, 2016, 08:02 PM

My vin #

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Try this site. Works for me all the time, and it's smart enough to notice how many characters are in the VIN and decode accordingly.

http://www.v8cars.hu/oldsvin/decode.php

TY it worked excellently
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:40 AM

Let me guess. Decoding your car's VIN told you only one thing about the car that you couldn't tell by just looking at it or lifting the hood.

Decoding the VIN told you that the car is an Olds, that it is an Omega, that it is whatever body style it is, what engine it has, the model year, and the plant where it was built. Only the last one is something you didn't already know.

Saw the photos of your car in the other thread. Very nice.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Decoding

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Let me guess. Decoding your car's VIN told you only one thing about the car that you couldn't tell by just looking at it or lifting the hood.

Decoding the VIN told you that the car is an Olds, that it is an Omega, that it is whatever body style it is, what engine it has, the model year, and the plant where it was built. Only the last one is something you didn't already know.

Saw the photos of your car in the other thread. Very nice.
LMAO you are so correct. I even knew the plant. Van Nuys. Was hoping for some more info but it is what it is . TY for the compliment bro and the help
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:14 AM

VINs have never been very useful in indicating anything about the car that couldn't be known by looking at it. Olds started indicating the engine in the VIN somewhere in the early '70s, and prior to that, the series number, which was part of the VIN, indicated if the car had a V-8 or a Six, but not which V-8 if more than one were available. VINs from that time would be so much more useful to collectors today if they contained information like transmission and rear end gear ratio.

There is a credit card-sized tag on the firewall under the hood of your car that will have codes on it that will give more information about it, such as original exterior paint color or colors, interior color, and possibly other options. If you post a clear photo of it, someone on here can likely decode it for you.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:15 AM

My proble right now is trying to find out if there is any legit info out there about only 53 of the KL3 coded Omegas being built in Van Nuys. I'm not trying to sell my car but if theres something to this it would mean my Omega is among one of the rare option packages. That would make me smile A bit bigger at best. I have seen a handful of other K coded Omegas listed online and each one had the same statement . 53 Made in Van Nuys. I searched the net only to find wikipedia had some history on this but wikipedia could be wrong. I wish I had a way to find a source of info to verify my info or let me know its wrong. Either way I just want to know what my car is in detail
Old April 22nd, 2020, 12:04 AM
O'smobile

I got mine! She is a sweet thing with around 60,000 miles.
Old January 30th, 2021, 12:49 AM

Can some one please help me decode my vin?

Hello new here and looking for much need help. I've tried many sites and none can decode a 13 digit vin. The Cutlass i purchase with out a title. (Dumass move) (But a sucker for 1st gen Gbody Cutlass) As a forgotten project from a customers friend. They had did some pretty dum stuff to the vehicle. For starters. The vehicle was painted a Kandy tangerine orange and a lot of the vehicles I.d. was removed. Only true thing that this vehicle has is the vin tag. But i have no luck. Can some one please help me decode this vin. 3M47H9R4778. And where can i turn to for more info.

Last edited by Guadalupe Villarreal; January 30th, 2021 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 30th, 2021, 05:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Guadalupe Villarreal
Can some one please help me decode this vin. 3M47H9R4778.
That's only 11 of the 13 characters...

3 = Oldsmobile Division
M = Cutlass Supreme Brougham
47 = coupe 2dr hardtop
H = Chevy 305 4bbl motor
9 = 1979 model year
R = Arlington, TX assembly plant
4778xx = sequential build number

FYI, this is not a G-body. These were still called A-body cars until the FWD A-body replacements came out in the 1982 model year. The FWD cars were supposed to replace these, but at the last minute GM decided to keep the RWD versions in production also and renamed them the G-body in the 1982 model year.

Old January 30th, 2021, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's only 11 of the 13 characters...

3 = Oldsmobile Division
M = Cutlass Supreme Brougham
47 = coupe 2dr hardtop
H = Chevy 305 4bbl motor
9 = 1979 model year
R = Arlington, TX assembly plant
4778xx = sequential build number

FYI, this is not a G-body. These were still called A-body cars until the FWD A-body replacements came out in the 1982 model year. The FWD cars were supposed to replace these, but at the last minute GM decided to keep the RWD versions in production also and renamed them the G-body in the 1982 model year.

Thanks for the info. As long as i ever was a sucker for 78 and 79 model cutlass, i didnt know they were still A-body. And also when i try to add the full vin #. It requested to delete the last 2 or 4. Or it wouldn't let me post. But. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old January 30th, 2021, 06:23 AM

Hoping for more help

Can anyone tell me is it possible to reorder a new i.d. tag for the fire wall. That was removed.
Old January 30th, 2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Guadalupe Villarreal
Can anyone tell me is it possible to reorder a new i.d. tag for the fire wall. That was removed.
There is no place to order an "official" tag. GM certainly doesn't sell these. Frankly, the only reason they're there at all was to tell the assembly line what to put on the car. They were never meant to be something the final purchaser made any use of. The factory would say, "why do you need a body tag if you have the car itself?" You could argue that you might like to know original paint colors or original options since things could have been changed over the years, but there's not enough demand for replacement tags on decades-old cars to make it worthwhile for GM to manufacture them.

There are places that will make a replica for you, but you have to tell them what to put on it.