VIN # history

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:48 AM

VIN # history

Gentlemen,

I have read here that there is a website that can trace the history of a VIN # for a price. What is the website ? Has anybody used it ? Was it worth it ?

Thanks
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:20 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Post your vin on this site and you will most likely have someone break it down for you for free, don't forget to say please!

Roger.
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM

The fine folks here already deciphered the VIN # and cowl tag (thanks again). I was referring to a website that traces the history of the VIN #. I believe it gives where it was originally purchased (dealership) and how it changed hands with names and addresses possibly. Or maybe it's a figment of my imagination.
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blackpage
The fine folks here already deciphered the VIN # and cowl tag (thanks again). I was referring to a website that traces the history of the VIN #. I believe it gives where it was originally purchased (dealership) and how it changed hands with names and addresses possibly. Or maybe it's a figment of my imagination.
Unfortunately it's just a figment of your imagination. The best you can do is talk to previous owners. Some have had luck if they know someone that can access VIN information at the DMV's or perhaps police but now everytime a VIN is traced there is a record. Therefore an police officer or DMV can get "caught" for doing it much easier than they ever could before.
Old December 18th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Randy C.

Up until the latter 70s, there isn't any established record to use in tracing the info you want. Your best options are if you have either the window sticker or the build sheet for your car. Either will give you the dealership to where the car went after it left the assembly plant.

Randy C.
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Unfortunately it's just a figment of your imagination. The best you can do is talk to previous owners. Some have had luck if they know someone that can access VIN information at the DMV's or perhaps police but now everytime a VIN is traced there is a record. Therefore an police officer or DMV can get "caught" for doing it much easier than they ever could before.
I've only been able to go back two owners. Both from New Jersey and not very cooperative. I have a freind that is an police officer. I'll try that.

Thanks.
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Up until the latter 70s, there isn't any established record to use in tracing the info you want. Your best options are if you have either the window sticker or the build sheet for your car. Either will give you the dealership to where the car went after it left the assembly plant.

Randy C.
Unfortunately, I don't have either.
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

None of the history services like CarFax can trace a VIN with less than 17 characters, which means that for cars prior to the 1981 model year, you are out of luck.
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68

I was told the same thing from a cop. He couldn't run the vin in his cruiser because they are monitored. My car spent most of it's life in connecticut, and I don't know any state cops in CT.

Anyone on here a police officer in connecticut? ha
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM

The right to privacy act changed the rules on being able to gather a history trail for a vehicle. If a police officer runs a VIN or a plate and can not justify why they ran it, they could possibly lose their job if they were questioned. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gentlemen,

I have read here that there is a website that can trace the history of a VIN # for a price. What is the website ? Has anybody used it ? Was it worth it ?

Thanks
YOU ARE RIGHT!!
We charge the price of you posting a pic of your ride. Ha ha ha. Better yet, post a pic of your VIN and cowl tag. We'll get you the info faster than you can down a shot of JD. Why spend money you don't have to?

If you want more info on cars that may not be Olds? Check out the 'Wild About Cars" site. Its free to join, use and share. Cheers!

EDIT: Ooops, missed a section of the post. Only way I know of that you could trace the history of your vehicle is if it was exported to or build in Canada. Then GM Historical Services (George Zapora) could help. Otherwise, if it's an Olds you really have a crapshoot on your hands. Is this by chance a W machine? There is a W machine registry, an SX registry etc but I don't know how much info they have.

Last edited by Allan R; December 20th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM

The cowl and VIN has been deciphered down to the last bolt (thanks again). I was/am curious to find out where she originated and how many times she's changed hands. She being the car.............of course.
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just curious. This is for your 72 Cutlass S project? Would love to hear more about it and see some pics. Care to share?
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks

There is a website for this. If your car was built in Canada or for sale in Canada go to http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html and with your VIN they can send you a wealth of information. Canadian governments insisted GM Canada keep records on all cars built or sold in Canada, so records are there. They will send you a sheet that shows make, model, VIN, interior trim, colour, production plant, production date, how many were imported to Canada, a list of codes and options ordered, as well as technical information on weight with certain options, measurements, spring codes, engine spec's, transmissions, rear end spec's along with cards and literature sources and where to find parts. Good luck.
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Just curious. This is for your 72 Cutlass S project? Would love to hear more about it and see some pics. Care to share?
The Cutlass S project has become a 442 project. The S is for sale locally. I found a 71 442, supposedly a W30 that I couldn't pass on. Using the interchangeable parts from the 72 on the 71 (bumpers, chrome etc).

Here are some Cutlass S pics. Haven't taken pics of the 442 yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 006.jpg (68.5 KB, 29 views)
Picture 002.jpg (78.0 KB, 31 views)
Picture 015.jpg (66.3 KB, 32 views)
Picture 008.jpg (62.3 KB, 30 views)
Picture 013.jpg (77.4 KB, 33 views)
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM

Thanks Ken.
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The Cutlass S project has become a 442 project. The S is for sale locally. I found a 71 442, supposedly a W30 that I couldn't pass on. Using the interchangeable parts from the 72 on the 71 (bumpers, chrome etc).

Here are some Cutlass S pics. Haven't taken pics of the 442 yet.
The rolling chassis and body looks good. Something wierd though maybe you can address. The S apparently didn't have AC as evidenced by the firewall, but has AC vents. Was the dash tubing modified to have air flow through the vents from the fan or from the pull ***** in the lower side panel. I've never seen this configuration before but was thinking about it for my car.
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:41 AM

I got the car like that. I'm assuming it was modified by the previous owner. I know I didn't do it.