The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Push rods

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2014, 03:54 PM

Push rods

I have just rebuilt a 455 and have to replace the push rods. The top end of half of them was wearing flat. Does anyone know what may be causing this? Desperate to get it finished for sons grad.
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Welcome to CO.
What rockers are you running? Comp magnum?
Little more details.

Last edited by 70cutty; May 28th, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Push rods

Comp
Magnums. I started having lifter noise after about 20 hours running and shortly after I had it
On a Dyno. I adjusted twice on the third time I took the rocker off and saw the wear on them. My engine had
Been running hot about 230 on the gauge until I
Got the electric fans tuned in after that about 210 which is still hotter than I want. I was told
By the rebuilder to run rosella
15-40 as a break in. After this lifter issue Came up I have since read that oil has a Flashpoint of only 204. Could This have led to issues as well then with the engine temps I was running? My hot Light never came On once though. I am not a
Mechanic but just want to know what to check out prior to having them replaced. I ordered a
Whole new top end not just new rods
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Couple of members here including myself had problems with comp cam kit. The problem is in the pushrods, it seems that they are made out of softer steel compare to the rockers. My freshly rebuilt engine started ticking after 200-300 miles.
I fixed the problem by replacing them with trick flow chrome moly pushrods.
JMO
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Push rods

Where can I pick up a set of those moly ones and how much? All I need is the length to order then correct. Also I have a three row rad with electric fans. I am running about 210 for temp any ideas how else I could get temp down without a rad change. My car is a 71 cutlass S coupe without air conditioning. Would an oil cooler help the engine temp much? Also what oil would you run in it. I have a couple guys telling me to run royal purple. Thanks I am located in Alberta Canada
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I ran Joe Gibbs break in oil for break in and first 500 miles. After that valvoline Vr1. I am not sure what kind I setup you got as far as el. fans. Are they pulling enough cfm? Are they shrouded? As far as the pushrods make sure you get the correct length. Did the shop install the pushrods, did they check to make sure they got the correct length? Correct geometry of the valve train is crucial.

Last edited by 70cutty; May 28th, 2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:43 PM
same but different

Before you go any further and buy new parts to throw at it, how about purchasing a pushrod checking tool. So you can get the right length pushrod form the beginning.

No one can tell you the right length, until you measure it.
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by don71
before you go any further and buy new parts to throw at it, how about purchasing a pushrod checking tool. So you can get the right length pushrod form the beginning.

x2
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:34 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Along with these suggestions insure you are getting good oil flow up to the rockers...all of them? What is your oil PSI at idle? 230F is awful hot. The electric fans are likely masking another cooling system problem...like a missing fan shroud or insufficient radiator size, flow or its plugged etc...
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM

Push rods

Originally Posted by don71
Before you go any further and buy new parts to throw at it, how about purchasing a pushrod checking tool. So you can get the right length pushrod form the beginning.

Old May 28th, 2014, 08:08 PM

Push rods

I will get the tool I hope it tells
Me how to
Check as I have never done that before. The two fans are shrouded and pull about 750 cfm I adjusted them to come on at 165 and stay on at that point and it helped. I am not
Sure what you mean by geometry but I will research it to find out thanks
Old May 28th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Get an adjustable pushrod.
That might not be enough volume on the fans. My dual setup pulls 3260cfm.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Along with these suggestions insure you are getting good oil flow up to the rockers...all of them? What is your oil PSI at idle? 230F is awful hot. The electric fans are likely masking another cooling system problem...like a missing fan shroud or insufficient radiator size, flow or its plugged etc...
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:13 AM

Push rods

I will look into the adjustable push rods but aren't they susceptible to breaking? I will check to see what came with the kit for push rods for sure. I have adequate flow of
Oil as I ran it with covers off to check at an earlier stage. Oil pressure at idle and 180 degrees is about 50 psi. However when the engine heats up the oil pressure starts to fluctuate severely. That is why I asked earlier if anyone thought that my oil choice was an issue Checked fans and they pull 2500 cfm in total. I may downsize the water pump pulley a bit to increase flow. Radiator is flushed and was fine before rebuild. Here is my scenario. I drive the car it heats up. Oil pressure changes. Lifter noise started. Adjust lifters and repeat. Soni think it's a combination of all things. Poor quality push rods poor oil recommendation. High temperatures. I will have the mechanic double check push rod length with me for sure. The push rod wear is even across the tip though so I doubt this is a geometry issue.