The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Pleasure to meet everyone!

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Pleasure to meet everyone!

Hello to all!
Rich here, I am a second generation Olds Service Guild Tech as my pop was a 50 year Master Olds Tech before his passing.
We have a long history with the make and hope to help anyone with questions and problems and also will be parting with 50+ years of parts, service bullitians, manuals, and good solid free advice! LOL
I am proud to own a 1973 442 factory 4 spd car in dark blue with white stripes 53k original miles and my sweetheart a 1981 98 Regency notch roof sedan unrestored with 40k original except for tires and tune-up!!http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...carshow007.jpg

Please do not hesitate to contact me on boards or by msg as I have a lot of knowledge to share and hope to gain some new friends as well!!

Keep the rockets launching!
Rich

Last edited by 81 regency; April 1st, 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add pic
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard and thanks for the great story. Was the 73 your dads car? Sounds like a very special order.

So, where are you located? Might have some questions for you already.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Allen,
No, my first car and first olds was his a 1965 cutlass holiday cpe in target red with 330 v8 black bucket interior, drivers side power seat, vacuum trunk release and white headliner with all the high end chrome. I added 442 side scoops and badges and it flooded while vacuuming it at the local car wash in 1984 and caught fire while ideling and lost it . The 73 has been in storage since 1986 in one of our garages behind the house. I traded a 65 Chevy stepside p/u for her and only ran it a short while.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:01 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Northeast Pa is my location going to try to attach a pic of the Regency which is a super sweet ride!!
canot figure out how to shrink the size for my id pic or how to upload a pic here without a url????
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 81 regency
Northeast Pa is my location going to try to attach a pic of the Regency which is a super sweet ride!!
canot figure out how to shrink the size for my id pic or how to upload a pic here without a url????
I just use Photobucket - it's free to join; upload the pic there. Once it's on photobucket you can copy and paste the URL or do what I do. Open the pic in photobucket, copy (CTRL C) and paste it directly into your thread (CTRL V). Your picture ends up being full size and you don't have to worry about shrinking it. It is being primarily hosted on the photobucket site.You have to have 2 web browsers open at the same time to do this because each time you navigate away from this site, it drops your permathread link.
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM

Welcome, we roll out the red carpet here
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM

What kind of parts do you have?
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Kyle,
Use a pm as this is not a posting place for sale and trade just for introductions.
Thanks!
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:52 PM

Glad to have you on board . Olds forever !
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice Car 81 regency!!!
carshow007.jpg
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oldsdruid

You might want to explain the Service Guild. I'm willing to bet a lot of people here have no idea what it was.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Good point Rocket,
Back in its day The Oldsmobile Sercive Guild was the equvilant of bieng a factory certified and trained mechanic/Tech which required seminars, schooling, test taking, and certification making you a quote expert in certian fields of automobile service.
It was a lot of work along with your regular work and also an expense for the dealership and factory. Some dealers wouldnt participate in this but if they were smart they did as it allowed factory incentives for both the dealer and employee such as higher warrenty labor rate returns for the dealer and pay grade perks for the tech.
It also was a prestigue for you to be an expert in your field.
I still have mant binders of materials from Pop and me from the years of service.
Also snappy looking patches for your uniforms making you look like MR. Goodwrench!!
LOL
Now all is lost, as in the last month even the Goodwrench name has been killed and switched to Chevy certified service, Buick Certified and so on as to gain individual dealership recognition instead of corporate approach to the service.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 81 regency
Kyle,
Use a pm as this is not a posting place for sale and trade just for introductions.
Thanks!
Should of known better, sorry
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Past Administrator

Glad to have you with us here at CO.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM

Welcome, your knowledge will be appreciated. The '98' looks sweet.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Oldsguy,
Glad to be here!
We have solved a few problem for others right off the bat and are happy to do so.
One thing I will comment on is that I contacted 2 Adminjs for over a week with as I was unable to post to the boards or edit my profile when signing up.
The reply srevice was less than desireable but i see some quick to jump on others posts and be critical. Not for me!
I had to use an alternate e-mail addy and change my original screen name and figure it out myself after 10 or so days of frusteration.
I wish the 2 moderators would have meen more helpful!
Still glad to be of service to anyone and hope to help out with the continuation of this legendary automobile brand!!!
Thanks
Rich
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Beautiful car!!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Thanks Gal,
The 98 Regency is the Rodney Dangerfield of Oldsmobiles in the last 20 years are so.
"Hey I dont get respect" LOL.....
Of late many are starting to appreciate the Big Bodies again( Could the Kardashians have somthing to do with it??) LOL
Poeple forget that Oldsmobile was built on Big body full size autos untill 1961 then the
Cutlass and 442 takeover began, While I love my 442's i still love the look and feel of a full size Oldsmobile!
Yours is a beauty!
Enjoy
Rich

Last edited by 81 regency; April 3rd, 2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typos
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM

Very nice of you to share your experiance. I have found everyone in this group to be very helpful and always leaving egos behind. This group has saved me hours of frustration and a few big bucks. I made it thru a nasty winter waiting to get my olds 64 88 and can't wait to get it driving this year. Got it started yesterday and it sounds great! BUT found a bad brake leak and I am now in the process of a complete investigation. A quick review of brake parts (I.E wheel cylinders) shows a costly repair...but it needs to get done.
Glad to have you on board
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Digging that avatar- I've collected Service Guild newsletters starting around 1959 thru the late 70s and find them along with the tech bulletins and dealer information letters to be a wealth of information.

I try to pick up SG related awards as I find them. I have a 25-year ring and several 5 and 10 year awards. Neat stuff.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:20 AM

Welcome! Hey, I have a non-working SG watch. Do you fix those?
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Welcome to CO, Rich! Kudos on that awesome ninety-eight, absolutely stunning Oldsmobile!!!
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Welcome to Co

The knowledge you bring to the site will be well appreciated. I've always liked the big bodied Olds, float like a butterfly and some can even sting like a bee