The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Olds 403 Rebuilder Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2018, 12:59 PM

Olds 403 Rebuilder Recommendations

I’m looking for recommendations for a reputable engine shop that specializes in Oldsmobile engines and is willing to rebuild my Olds 403, paint and assemble completely, test and break it in on a dyno, and then ship it to me so that all I have to do is install it. I’d like to re-use the distributor, carb, and manifolds if possible as it is all original on my ‘79 Trans Am.

I made the mistake already of sending it to a remanufacturer that sent back only the long block completed and without cleaning the other parts to get them ready for reassembly. Also, they forgot to send back the intake manifold. The owner was very nice and apologetic, and pledged to find or replace the manifold at no charge. I’m not sure I’ll get my original manifold back. Taken altogether, I’ve lost confidence in the quality of the work done inside the long block, I’ve lost precious free time of my own, and I’m ready to turn the whole project over to somebody I can trust.

Everytime I find a promising shop online, the reviews tear the shop all to shreds.

Frustrated and lost. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old February 19th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Your location would be really helpful for any recommendations. Also are you looking for a stock build or more performance oriented? Has the engine been rebuilt by the previous builder you sent it to, and are just missing parts?
Old February 19th, 2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome and for the quick reply. I’m in Virginia and I’m a newbie who figured with enough research and enough time, I could tackle this job myself. But time is no longer on my side.

I’m open to performance upgrades, but since I’d prefer to re-use the carb, distributor, manifolds (assuming I get my intake back), and oil pan, I guess I’m more in the market for a stock rebuild. Sorry for the uncertainty, as the terminology is a little unclear. Yes, the engine was re-built to the long block assembly and all the parts were sent back except the intake manifold. Since I’m willing to send it to another rebuilder to finish the job, I understand if they want to take it apart again to inspect before giving a warranty.
Old February 19th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Virginia is a big place. If you are in the northern part of the state, I'd suggest Gunther's Machine in Walkersville, MD. Great guy and very high quality work.
Old February 19th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dbenja73
I’m open to performance upgrades, but since I’d prefer to re-use the carb, distributor, manifolds (assuming I get my intake back), and oil pan, I guess I’m more in the market for a stock rebuild.
I'm fairly sure you can reuse all of those items in a performance oriented build. It won't be max performance, drag strip only, but can definitely be built better than stock. The main things are to get the compression up out of the 7 or 8:1 range and use a better camshaft that matches the rest of the vehicle and its intended usage.

The carb and distributor should be no problem at all, many folks use the factory ones in performance applications with some slight modifications.

The intake may not be as optimal as an aftermarket aluminum one but should be OK for moderate performance.

The exhaust manifolds kinda suck, but they will suffice for a moderate street performance build.

Last edited by Fun71; February 19th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 13th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Apologies for the late reply, but I just wanted to thank you all for your help. I’ll check out Gunther’s Machine in MD. I’ve also reached out to Magnum Machine in VA.

Is it just me, or is there a dearth of builders out there that will rebuild my engine, test, and warranty just like the crate engine guys do?