The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

oldman8187

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2016, 10:57 AM

oldman8187

Guys I am newbie and have a question about a 1972 Cutlass can you use rtv between the bottom of timing cover and oil pan? Don't want to upset anyone but have done this on sb chevy before with great results.
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. If you mean in addition to the rubber seal in the corners, then yes. I would not use rtv in place of the rubber seal.
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Once when replacing the timing cover with the engine in the car, I trimmed the rubber seal nearly flush with the edge of the cover then used a thick bead of RTV to seal it to the oil pan.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:27 PM

ok thanks guys think i am going to have to pull front cover think eccentric that runs fuel pump might be bad. I have replaced pick-up in tank and new lines all the way to fuel pump. I am running and electric now and noise drive me crazy. Any thought one the eccentric being bad just wondered if tap might have broken off.
Old December 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM

I think that is a very low probability.

If you remove the fuel pump you may be able to see into the opening to verify that the eccentric is attached to the front of the cam.
Old December 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site oldman. I like to add that I've not experienced a worn eccentric and I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. I know stuff happens in the 40 years of who know who's been working on the car. Some one could have left it off.

Like Fun71 said, you should be able to identify the eccentric is there after removing the mechanical pump.
Old December 16th, 2016, 08:01 PM

thanks for the input Fun71 and don71 I have removed the pump. engine is still car can use mirror and flash light and see eccentric. I have never seen it come off before either. Any ideas would be appreciated. A little this all started on a very hot day this passed summer, car cut off with me 4 times on way home would let it set a few minutes and it would start and run a couple miles. After i made it home there was no fuel in fuel filter. I took this as a bad fuel pump and replaced it with another one and same problem. I checked and replaced fuel lines fuel sending unit in tank and same problem still no fuel. It was in the middle of cruisin season and car shows so I just put an electric pump on it. Now I have started trying to find the problem. Today I removed the mechanical pump tested on work bench with rubber hose in a can of gas and worked the arm and it would shoot fuel half way across my shop. After that I hooked a vacuum pump to fuel line and pulled a good stream of fuel out of the tank. I also hooked a vac gauge to fuel pump and cranked engine and gauged would only move a few inches of vacuum.
Old December 16th, 2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Welcome to the site oldman. I like to add that I've not experienced a worn eccentric and I don't think I've ever heard of that happening. I know stuff happens in the 40 years of who know who's been working on the car. Some one could have left it off.

Like Fun71 said, you should be able to identify the eccentric is there after removing the mechanical pump.
Thanks for the reply I just rebuilt the engine myself 3 years ago and only 9000 miles on it I can say I did not replace the eccentric because I have never had one to go bad. Engine build is a 355 cu. in. flat top forged piston 7A head with big valves. 485/490 lift 224/230 duration 110 lobe sep. preformer intake and Holley carb. I tried to get as close to a W31 as I could and engine has always ran strong.