The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie Introduction

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM

Newbie Introduction

Hi everyone, Me and my wife purchased betsy(67 cutlass) about three weeks ago. Its currently in shop gettn the a/c fixed,it had a cpl leaks and needed to be topped off.We are from Roanoke VA and just love this car! I just gave her a full tune up but she is still not wanting to start on the first turn so if someone can give me a hint what to do id appreciate it. I will eventually go through the entire motor wanting to maybe give her a little more power but still good driving on the highway.so any pointer will be helpful to us. We are honered to be a part of your group and hope we can be of help as well.This car is in excellent condition for her age and I want to keep her that way and even make her better.Please if anyone can tell me what the best fuel to put in her i would appreciate that as well. thanks for reading and look forward to your comments.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! Sounds like a nice car, post pics of it when you can.

If you have given it a complete tune up and it runs great otherwise, check the choke set up on the carburetor. With the engine cold, take the air cleaner lid off, then prime the engine by pumping the accelerator twice. The air valve on the top of the carb should be fully closed. Crank it over, when it starts to run, check the air valve again. (Throat of the carb) It should now be open about 1/8" of an inch. If that is correct, then you will need to check timing and also look for vacuum leaks. Let us know, and we can help further.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site, BB Blue! Congrats on getting your Olds! Can't wait to see pics of it. I use regular old cheap gas in The Prettiest One, and she runs good. There have been a lot of discussions about gas and fuel additives, etc.... I'm sure you'll hear from others too!

Hi Darrell!!! How's your summer going? Hope all is well with you!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:31 PM

Welcome aboard
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM

thanks for the info old skl 69, i will try that when she gets back from the a/c shop.Heck its been there for 2 days now! i put pics of the car on my profile i tried to add here and it was asking for an http# for some reason.i will figure it out. but u can see it by clicking on my profile page.i have a lot more to add as well.thanks again for help i will let you know what happens
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM

Hi Cutlassgal and thanks for the reply. I heard that u shouldnt use gas with ethanol in it. that it will cause the motor not to run at peak performance. I will have to do some research on it. I will let you know what i come up with
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM

thanks jamesbo for the welcome,im glad to be a part of this site everyone is quite knowledgeable about oldsmobile.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Administrator

A/C??? I don't need no a/c! Maybe someday tho! Welcome!!!!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM

Welcome to the forum
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BB Blue 67
I heard that u shouldnt use gas with ethanol in it.
True, but pump gas that is 100% gasoline is getting hard to find in my experience. All of the stations I frequent say "contains 10% ethanol" right on the pump. My old cars run OK, though.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM

Welcome - IMO I'd be using premium fuel as that's still considered a high-compression motor. 10% ethanol doesn't hurt, just stay away from the other stuff, as it eats rubber!
Replacing all your rubber vacuum lines would be your best bet - they get brittle and crack over the years.
If you put points in it, did you check if your mechanical advance is free?
I've had a couple over the years get 'gummed up' and inhibit performance!
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.