The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM

Smile Newbie here

Let me begin by saying I am new to the forum and I am here to learn from some of these brilliant oldsmobile minds I see on this sight. I have been sniffing around on here and finally joined. I have a 1971 supreme that needs plenty of work inside and out it was a impulse buy because it was cheap and I always wanted a 71 supreme and couldn't really afford one in better shape at the time and the wife said I better buy it because we were havin a child a no telling when I will get one so I jumped on it. I actually love the car and it's just been sitting in the garage for 2 years now. Just recently started trying to figure the car out and I think that it has a 1973 350 motor in the car wich really bothers me. The motor actually runs good and strong I am in Sacramento and have drove it to bay area(San Jose) 2 times just to feel good. My question is what is the difference in the 73 motor in comparison to the 71 that should be in there and do they basically use the same parts because I want to start spending a little emphasizing a little on the motor just to get a good running machine that the family can enjoy on the weekends. Please go easy on me I am a rookie with a love for cutlasses and I am here to learn and pick the brains of u guys! Look forward to hearing back and meeting some of u olds lovers!
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! We like it when lurkers join us, lol.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Welcome to the site for everything OLDS
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome, do you happen to have the number off your block and the head stamp? We also do like pic's, so when you get a chance.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Please forgive me for being a rookie but where do I find the head stamp and the number behind the water pump is 395558 2 there is a # 16 on the left front of the intake and #8 heads. And I will take some pics so I can upload them but I want to warn you than u guys are gonna say scrap it bit it just somethin for me to keep life fun and stay out the way of the wifey!
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM

Also can someone tell me how to upload pics on here doin this from the iPhone if that helps thanks!
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:29 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Welcome!

The nice thing about the '73 engine is that I believe in '72 they started making engines that don't require lead in the fuel.

As for the condition of the car; if the frame, brakes, suspension...all the safety items are in good shape; let her roll! It is OK to have a rough looking ride as long as it is not dangerous.

If you had the car in the garage for two years and the wife has not complained, then both the car and the wife are keepers!
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM

Your last statement gave me a good laugh and I totally agree! To the car all safety items seem to be in tach just cosmeticly neede pretty much everything from emblems to moldings to interior to paint, not something that really bothers me cause it gives me something to do around the house and plus I would love the satisfaction it would give me when done! To the engine are the parts and aftermarket parts the same on this motor as the 71 motor?
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O. "brilliant minds here" that's one hell of a butter up job!
Love to see what you have, so post up some pics, please!

Pat
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. Ray

Originally Posted by 71ray
Please forgive me for being a rookie but where do I find the head stamp and the number behind the water pump is 395558 2 there is a # 16 on the left front of the intake and #8 heads. And I will take some pics so I can upload them but I want to warn you than u guys are gonna say scrap it
395558 2 is the common casting for the Olds 350. The 73 is basically the same block as the 72, only the heads are different. If you want to put the engine back to specs, the #7 heads from any 71/72 350 will do the trick. 71 was the year Olds changed the valve seats to hardened steel in anticipation of unleaded fuel. 73 valves were smaller IIRC and didn't breathe as well.

re: where to find the block stamping? First, it's not a casting - it's actually stamped onto a pad just under the #1 cylinder. It should start out with 3 (olds) then a number (1 = 71, 2 = 72, 3 = 73 etc) then a letter (M, R, Z, or G) is the factory the car was built at, followed by 6 numbers. Those 6 numbers will match the last 6 numbers of the VIN from the car it came from.

Here's a pic of where to find the stamping pad. You might have to move the alternator to get this kind of access. Do you have a mirror you could stick down there to read it? Clean the pad with a degreaser, not sandpaper or you'll lose the stampings.
P1010401-1.jpg

You mentioned that the heads are #8. That's consistent with being 73-75. So your engine is likely a 73, but check out the stamping pad to be sure. Also look to see if there's an EGR on the intake manifold. If it has one, that's definitely a clue it's a later production block. As long as the block isn't 76 or later you'll be ok with using it if you plan to build some performance into the car.

re: uploading pics? I can't help you with the iPhone thing, but from a laptop or desktop, try one of these options:
* clik the 'go advanced' tab
* Press the icon that looks like a paper clip; and A 'Manage Attachments' box will appear
* Choose (navigate on your computer to where the pics are stored) and hit 'open'. repeat for all 5 pics.
* Hit 'upload'. It may take a bit of time depending on your pic resolution. If you have ultra high res, you will have to 'resize' them with your picture editor to a 1024X768 size or smaller for the C.O. server to accept them.
* Close the "manage attachments' box.
* Preview your post and the images will be at the bottom
* Hit 'submit post' and the thread will have the images installed at the bottom. Unfortunately you can only do 5 pics at a time this way.

If you have the pics hosted on another web server?
* Copy the IMG url and Press the icon that looks like an envelope with mountains on it. Paste the URL into that box and hit 'ok'. You can install up to 20 images this way.
* Be sure to preview your work.
* Make sure the images don't carry on across the page, stack them for easier viewing.

Looking forward to seeing what you can post for pics!
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Thanks for your response Allan R can't read the whole stamping numbers but see that the first to numbers are 3's so it looks like its a 73 thank you for the info and believe me I will be asking a lot more questions working on uploading pics and should have some posted tomorrow thanks again for info.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Welcome to the site, 71ray!! Tons of great info on this site. Good luck with your ride!
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome to Co.
Sounds like great projects.
The 71 and the wife!
Both keepers!
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Glad to have you aboard.