The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie 79 delta 88 2dr royal

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Talking Newbie 79 delta 88 2dr royal

Just wanted to say hello and show some pic of my 1979 delta88 that i am currently in the process of restoring. A little history on the car, bought it about 6 years ago from a old lady for 500$. The car had been broken into so the rear window needed to be replaced and the ignition was also damaged. Besides the normal wear and tear(mostly from the sun) the car was in great condition. After getting a new battery (car was sitting over 2 years) and a 20$ new ignition key she fired right up. car only had 57k on it and the interior was a 8/10. Now after a few years of driving im putting some $$ in her. i will try to post as many updated pics as possible. I have just fished getting it painted now i have the little things to do but it seems like they are the hardest. I plan to keep the interior red and add a red pinstripe to the outside

TO DO LIST:
FIX SUN ROOF.
NEW TRIM
BRAKE UPGRADE
WHEELS

COMMENTS AND IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_71671.jpg (67.9 KB, 29 views)
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM

Looks good! A lot of progress in those pics.

IMHO I would NOT do a pinstripe. Looks so clean without one
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:09 AM
"me somebody" site member

THAT is one dang good looking car! I'd love to see some interior shots. Does it have buckets and a console?
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:23 PM

thanks for the complements. not sure if i am really going to put the stripe but i wanted something on the outside to standout and match with the red interior. No i don't have bucket seats, now that you mention that i wish i did. I just have to find a damn rear quarter window, ive checked junk yards and window shops all over CA no luck.. besides that just get the chrome re dipped which in California will cost me about 2k i will try to get more pics soon
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Nice car!
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:56 AM
"me somebody" site member

A cool car even with the front bench and column shift. Perhaps more comfortable (and cozy when it comes to the wife or girlfriend) that way too.
Old August 10th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Nice D88.

Love the red interiors (me & my father had a 79 w/the red).

That & black IMHO ... were the (2) best interior colors on the 77-79 cars.

Are my eyes deceiving me ...

Or did you go a pinch darker on the re-paint ?.

Looks more like a light platinum now.
Old August 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Nice D88.

Love the red interiors (me & my father had a 79 w/the red).

That & black IMHO ... were the (2) best interior colors on the 77-79 cars.

Are my eyes deceiving me ...

Or did you go a pinch darker on the re-paint ?.

Looks more like a light platinum now.
Thanks, yes i did go a bit darker but im glad i didn't change the color too much. I was skeptical at first but once parts where put on and it was polished im happy. Just need to find new decals to put them back on. As far as the interior goes i think i will go with red vinyl to match the dash but i want to go with stitching the opposite color. Also going to try and put some sound deadining stuff while i have the interior out if anyone has done that on one of these type of cars i would love to hear about it
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Good choice on going slightly darker ... I think it "pops" much more vs the regular silver.

A different color stitching/piping might look nice inside.

If it were my car I'd probably go with a darker red (burgundy) ... maybe, maybe black.

Other choices might stand out a bit too much & end up looking gaudy.
(white - silver & gray are giving me visions of crap jacked up on 28's for some reason)

Course' if you were to go with more of 2-tone theme all the way around inside ... it might look better with the other colors.

I would definitely go for buckets too.

While much more rare in a D88 ... they're are much easier to find in the 78-88 A/G body GM cars & they would drop/bolt right in. In fact the Holiday 88's used an A/G type bucket seat & A/G Olds center console. There are also a few other GM cars that had those type buckets as well.

The stock type Olds center console I could go either way on. While I'd prefer the shifter be on the floor in a console ... the correct A/G body - DH88 console is rather dated by today's standards.

I think I'd be more inclined to try & retrofit something else in-between the buckets w/a bit more storage space that also included cup holders ... with the desire to have a console shifter taking much less of a priority. I've had a few vehicles (newer) with nice center consoles w/o a shifter & I was fine with the shifter still being on the column.

The pros of the function & storage space of the console itself outweighed the con of not having the shifter down there.
Old August 11th, 2013, 10:36 PM

yes im going to keep the interior red/burgundy and go vinyl. I am really thinking about going to bucket seats but not sure what seats i could get that would convert over easy. I def will need a cup holder as you stated or some type of console. Im going to leave the shiftier where it is now, but that's only depending on what seats i use. I have also been doing a lot of thinking about the sound deadening for the road noise and overall feel for the car. I can always feel heat but the a/c on full blast in 100 degree weather, not so much. I just finish painting the underside of the car and just did a little brake upgrade on the breaking system. IF anyone has any ideas on the interior please let me hear them.
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:49 AM

To get rid of the road noise you will want to use sound deadner. If it get's real hot in CA don't use the liquid. I am doing 3-rolls of Dynamatt or whatever it's called, which is the same amount my frat brother used on his 2-door chevy caprice.

http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/...Foam-Products/

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/