The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie with '70 Cutlass Supreme 2d conv in Denmark

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2024, 12:21 PM
Exe

Newbie with '70 Cutlass Supreme 2d conv in Denmark

Hello!

I've recently bought my late granddads '70 Cutlass Supreme 2d convertible with the 311hp 350cui Rocket V8 in order to preserve the car and prevent it from going into the hands of a random person.
I didn't have a ton of time to do research in advance, so any and all help, tips and/or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

It's always been a dream of mine to own a 70's GM muscle / pony car with a soft top, and when the possibility presented itself I went for it.

There's only a small handful of this generation of 2d convertible Cutlass' in Denmark, so they're pretty rare around these parts.

I know it was built in Lansing, Michigan in December '69 and used to drive around the state of New York until late 2013 where it was loaded onto a container and shipped to Germany.
It's pretty clean considering it has it's origin in a state that salts the roads during winter - Only a tiny bit of patina and a small bubble or two, along with a section of the lower drivers side door needing new paint (the old man accidentally slammed the door into a his garage lift)

To any danes reading along: Hallųj!

Last edited by Exe; February 8th, 2024 at 12:48 PM.
Old February 8th, 2024, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Congrats, welcome to the site.
Old February 8th, 2024, 02:57 PM

Welcome aboard!

My first car was a 1970 Supreme hard top. It looks like the grill on your car was replaced at some point with what appears to be a 442 grille.
Old February 8th, 2024, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

Welcome. Purchase an original 1970 GM Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (CSM). New &/or copies are poor. The original contains the color wiring diagram. It is the bible for you car for all things mechanical. The second manual you should consider buying is the 1970 Product Information Manual (AKA Factory Assembly Manual [FAS]}. This manual contains all information for all products/devices installed on the vehicle as it went down the assembly line. The third manual you should consider buying is the 1970 Fisher Body Service Manual.

Do you research on price, shipping and condition of manuals. Check in our Classified forum on this site you might find one of each. Check e-Bay.

Here is a URL link for a CSM >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/13492302489...cAAOSw6tdk9irw
Old February 8th, 2024, 04:46 PM

Welcome, cool Oldsmobile.
Old February 8th, 2024, 05:25 PM

Welcome!
Old February 8th, 2024, 07:03 PM
Banned

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile. Looks like a very nice car. I would love to see more pictures and here more details.
Old February 8th, 2024, 08:44 PM
Exe

Originally Posted by Fun71
Welcome aboard!

My first car was a 1970 Supreme hard top. It looks like the grill on your car was replaced at some point with what appears to be a 442 grille.
Thank you!

I didn't even know the grille had been replaced, but it is pretty obvious when looking at pictures of a 442 and a normal Cutlass
Old February 8th, 2024, 08:45 PM
Exe

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Welcome. Purchase an original 1970 GM Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (CSM). New &/or copies are poor. The original contains the color wiring diagram. It is the bible for you car for all things mechanical. The second manual you should consider buying is the 1970 Product Information Manual (AKA Factory Assembly Manual [FAS]}. This manual contains all information for all products/devices installed on the vehicle as it went down the assembly line. The third manual you should consider buying is the 1970 Fisher Body Service Manual.

Do you research on price, shipping and condition of manuals. Check in our Classified forum on this site you might find one of each. Check e-Bay.

Here is a URL link for a CSM >>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/13492302489...cAAOSw6tdk9irw
Thank you!

I had been looking into getting service manuals, but I had no idea what to get.
Old February 8th, 2024, 10:58 PM
GCH

Welcome , like these Cutlass models . Nice car.
Old February 11th, 2024, 05:04 AM

Welcome to the site! I was in Jutland a couple of times back in November, 1981 during my semester in Kobenhavn. I saw the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my entire life to this day at one of the train stations in Jutland, but that's a story for another day. I guess you must have a fairly short driving season (?)

One time when I was broken down on the road here in the States (not an Oldsmobile of course), I put a big sign on the car that read, "Virker Ikke". That one intrigued the cops. I saw that sign alot in our Kollegium laundramats.

Anyway, here's to many a good safe ride for you in your Olds, there are not too many of them there. You will find this site is great for knowledge and parts too!
Old February 11th, 2024, 07:43 AM
Art S

Congrats! Wish I could travel the world like some of these cars have.
Old February 12th, 2024, 01:13 AM
Exe

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Welcome to the site! I was in Jutland a couple of times back in November, 1981 during my semester in Kobenhavn. I saw the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my entire life to this day at one of the train stations in Jutland, but that's a story for another day. I guess you must have a fairly short driving season (?)

One time when I was broken down on the road here in the States (not an Oldsmobile of course), I put a big sign on the car that read, "Virker Ikke". That one intrigued the cops. I saw that sign alot in our Kollegium laundramats.

Anyway, here's to many a good safe ride for you in your Olds, there are not too many of them there. You will find this site is great for knowledge and parts too!
The season can be quite short depending on the weather.
The insurance allows for road use from March 1st through to November 30th - But it ain't going nowhere near the asphalt if there's even the slightest bit of salt due to snow.

Please keep using the "Virker Ikke" sign in the states! Keep the cops confused! 😂

The car is going to travel most of Jutland - The wife and I are going to be primarily use the car for meets, cruises, the occasional bridal transport (it's quite popular to use the old classics as limousines for brides in Denmark) along with charity drives.

Topless cars are far between around these parts due to the weather being rainy 50% of the time 😂
Old February 19th, 2024, 11:26 AM

What a sight to see that beautiful cutlass among the Saabs and volvos. It must turn a lot of heads. Congratulations and best wishes
Old February 21st, 2024, 10:36 AM

"Virker Ikke" = Does Not Work

could be used a lot here in the USA lol
Old February 29th, 2024, 03:16 PM

Beautiful cutlass! I really like the color! It’s subdued, but very sharp. Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile!
Old March 3rd, 2024, 11:02 AM
Exe

If anyone knows the name of the color (if it's factory) then I'd really appreciate it.

It needs a small respray of the drivers side door, but the sticker that should have the color code / name is missing on it.

Appreciate any help!
Old March 3rd, 2024, 11:25 AM

Old March 3rd, 2024, 05:20 PM

Post a picture of the cowl tag from under the hood. From that you can obtain the original paint code of the car.
Old March 4th, 2024, 10:04 AM

Very shiny cutlass! Love the grille-mounted flags in your profile picture too! I admire your wanting to preserve this car and keep it out of unappreciative hands. That is very noble.