The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbe in PA

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2020, 04:54 AM

Newbie in PA

Hi folks. I am new to this forum and thoroughly enjoy reading the discussions. Several years ago my late father had left me his 1989 Olds 88 4-door Royale sedan which he bought new. This car has been in our family ever since and we used it as a daily driver. Over the years, it's had it's share of dings and fender benders but was maintained and garaged all the while.. Now that I am retired, I am trying to bring this car back to life mechanically and cosmetically to its original condition.

One thing that always annoys me, however, is when I open the engine compartment, I see this rectangular rust spot on the cowl where the trim tag used to be. I have no idea how it popped off but my suspicion is that it may have popped off in a fender bender daughter #2 was involved in. (But that's another story) . As I am trying to bring this back to original condition, my desire is to recreate a new trim tag to cover this rusted spot with all the original codes in their original appearance on the tag. Looking at samples of trim tags from the internet, I believe I have researched all of my codes I will need that would most likely appear on a trim tag (except for a body sequence number which I have no idea how to retrieve), but I have yet to find a sample of a 1989 Olds 88 trim tag so I can determine exactly what codes to show and the format on the tag in which they should appear. I looked in my service manual and there is no illustration of a trim tag. (It does have an illustration of the VIN plate however).

If any one out there has a picture or an illustration of a 1989 Olds 88 trim tag it would be most appreciated. Thanks much.

John

Last edited by JKPA; February 7th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old February 7th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. I may be wrong but I don't think your year had a metal tag. There was a vinyl list tag glued in the glove box or under the trunk lid.
Old February 7th, 2020, 11:24 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... I believe Eric is correct... The 1989 Chassis Service Manual does not show anything about a metal ID Tag except for the VIN tag located on the dash... It shows all the option listings and vehicle information on the "Service Parts Identification Labels" usually located on the underside of the truck lid and/or the glove box door... There are several pages of codes listed for these labels in the service manual...
Old February 7th, 2020, 11:35 AM

Newbe in PA

Thanks for the welcome and reply Eric! Yes, indeed, my car does have the sticker of codes affixed to the spare tire lid in the trunk. However, what would account for the small 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 rusted section on the cowl with holes halfway down the sides? I am under the impression that this car may have had both a metal tag and the codes sticker. I am further leaning in this direction as my friend had sent me a picture of a 1990 88 Royale Brougham trim tag he found several years ago in a junkyard. I'll try to see if I can find it. If that is correct, they must have put them on cars at least through that year. Of course, I could off base on all of this as well.

Old February 7th, 2020, 12:47 PM

Here is that picture of the 1990 88 Royale Brougham trim tag I referenced earlier (or at least I think it is - I believe the "L" code is 1990). This is what's giving me some suspicion that there was also a trim tag for my 1989). That and the rusty spot with the holes. Of course as I mentioned earlier, I could be way out in left field.

John

PS Thank you too for there welcome, John!