The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New from South Texas

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM

New from South Texas

Hello guys, just signed on and got here because one of the guys on the HAMB suggested your site. I do hotrods etc. Have a hotrod shop---build, buy, sell and has been an ongoing affair since I was a kid. Had a '31 chevy roadster with a '56 olds and three dueces. Sold it when I got out of basic in '67 for $250. for beer money and kicked myself in the but since.

I have started to re-do my '31 with what I've been able to find. I picked up a '53 303 with three duece set up with a ford 3 sp toploader.

I'm also working on a '26 dodge altered with a '60 394, dual quads, same trans and rear end. I just bought another 394 and am going to need some help identifing this engine. Will start a thread else where on the forum where appropiate.

Here's a couple of picture of my shop, the '31 chevy and the '26 dodge. From what I've seen of this site, it has a lot to offer and I will need some help with my olds engines. Thanks in advance and hope I don't offend anyone with my choice of cars rather than stock stuff. Joe.

My gold flake '31 as sold in '67

1931chevyroadster3.jpg

My current '31 project.
bodyenginemeetframe018.jpg

bodyenginemeetframe017.jpg
Sept1509015.jpg

Sept1509011.jpg

newwheels013.jpg

6-30-09049.jpg
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Cool pics

Glad you joined in with us.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Captain of my ship

Some cool rods you have on the go. Seems you have a lot on the go all at once , hope you got some help
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM
car guy

Welcome to CO. Glad to have you here.
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Several of the guys on this site also belong toe HAMB, you'll get to know them here as well. Nice collection, gotta love the look of the Olds engine fits right in for the early conversion look.
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, glad to have you with us here. All your stuff looks like classic HAMB material, I like the pic of your shop too. Hopefully we can help you with your engines and such and you can help us when sourcing stuff for the earlier hot rods. Is that '31 going to be finished as a roadster?
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM

COOL!

I've often thought it would be neat to redo a car as old as those. I wouldn't know where to start though. I really like the car in your avatar pic! The flate black with flames is SWEET!
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM

welcome to the site
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to CO, glad to have you with us here. All your stuff looks like classic HAMB material, I like the pic of your shop too. Hopefully we can help you with your engines and such and you can help us when sourcing stuff for the earlier hot rods. Is that '31 going to be finished as a roadster?
Thanks for the welcome. The '31 is going to be finished as a roadster. Not really what I wanted, but it will do. I've been trying to locate a true roadster and couldn't afford one. This one looked good in the picture, but was terrible. Picked it up in Oklahoma and have done a lot of work to get it to this stage.

Olds64, If you want one, you just have to start with what you got. No different than restoring a stocker.

I posted a thread on the big block section: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ification.html

Check it out, maybe one of you guys can give me a hand with that 394.

Here's a couple of pictures of my '31 when I started on it. Thanks, Joe.

IMG_4959.jpg

Changingoutfrontend001.jpg

Changingoutfrontend003.jpg
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM
67 heavy metal

welcome to the site and my thumbs up to you.I always wanted to do somthing similar to what you are doing.I like the idea of saving old cars,trucks etc.I don't have the funds to even consider opening a shop but would be fun in my mind.I found a site out of south dakota that has lots of old stuff.They have a page dedicated to oldsmobiles as well.The unfortunate thing is with in the last year the owner seems to be giving up and selling out so this gave me the extra push to post the link hope some more can be saved. http://www.restorablecars.com/
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Oldsdruid

Nothing more cool or bitchin' than an early-Olds-powered hotrod. Well- maybe one with a Nailhead, Cadillac or small Hemi. Dressed-out Merc flatheads and true 283/327 are great too.

Lot of guys are using those bogus GM crate engines though, and slapping multi-carbs and Corvette valve covers on them for the look. The real pisser is those "Fauxmobile" Rocket valve covers for Chevy engines. That's just wrong. What's next? fake Hemi valve covers for BBC?
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Welcome, Nice projects..!!

/ Michael
Old December 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Great pics,

But I'm tongue tied trying to pronounce Falfurrias
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Smile

Hey JoeTX,
You ever put an early Olds in an older dragster? I found an interesting late 60's (I guess) rail chassis and was thinking about that kind of build.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

Over at the HAMB they do that every summer at a race track in south western Missouri. They call it the HAMB Drags. Older frames with older engines, sometimes even home built. There is a category for it over at their site if you are interested in reading up on it.