The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the site and very excited!!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2012, 05:48 AM

New to the site and very excited!!!!

I found this website while trying to find some answers trying to fix on my 1976 Olds Ninety Eighty Regency. I am 22 years old and got this car from my grandpa when he pasted away. It was one of many cars he had but this one was always my favorite. The car has a 108,000 miles but i have all the service records from when it was bought new in Nov. 1975. the first oil change was done at 1500 miles. It really a fun car to drive and looking forward to being part of this site thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
126.jpg (98.5 KB, 133 views)
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Welcome aboard
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by christopher.grandalen
grandpa when he pasted away.
Ouch! Sounds like a downright painful way to go.

Welcome to the site. Nice car.
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Welcome!
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! You got yourself a big ole land yacht there, don't you, lol? My sister had one of those. I used to love to drive it. Nothing like the ride of the big Olds! It's soooo cool that it's been in the family all those years and you have the original paperwork. I would love to have some of Teepo's paperwork.
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Oldsdruid

Nice car! I dig big!

I have a 76 Regency sedan along with all the sales and service literature so I may be able to help answer some questions.

You really wanna dress that big girl up? Find a set of 1971-72 Super Stock IV Polycast wheels for it, or a set of 1977-79 Ninety Eight chrome wheels. They will look striking against that dark blue.
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Very cool. Love the land yacht. It's nice to see someone in their 20's appreciating the big Olds. Welcome.
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Welcome to the site, That car's awesome. I'd keep it just as your grand dad left it.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Ya i am not quite sure what i am going to do with the car yet. I am in college so i wont have the money to do much to it for a while. The first thing i am gunna do is get the new rear body filler pieces around the tail lights. I did a lot of search and found a company down in Florida that make then out of ABS Plastic so they should last longer. Then after that the motor is getting pulled because the rear main seal leaks and since i am going that far into it i might just rebuild the motor and put a mild cam and get the heads redone. I have lots of time to do this stuff cause this car is not going anywhere. It will be something that i will pass on to my grand kids someday hopefully
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

Nice car, I had a red over white one once and loved it. Welcome to CO.
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Hello !
I am a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Welcome '76 Ninety Eight fan!

I found this website while trying to find some answers trying to fix on my 1976 Olds Ninety Eighty Regency. I am 22 years old and got this car from my grandpa when he pasted away. It was one of many cars he had but this one was always my favorite. The car has a 108,000 miles but i have all the service records from when it was bought new in Nov. 1975. the first oil change was done at 1500 miles. It really a fun car to drive and looking forward to being part of this site thanks everyone.
Hello Christopher and welcome to the forum!

I actually have 2 '76 Ninety Eight Regency Coupes and I've had these cars my entire life and they are truly fantastic machines! Yours looks like a really nice, original car so it looks like your grandfather took great care of it. As for the filler panels at the back of the car, I started a post about getting those reproduced a while back. The guy you found in Florida is likely the guy I've been working with. I have the prototypes of those on one of my cars and I am working with him to get them just right for final production. I think he has been selling them in the meantime but I'm hoping he makes some improvements. Check out the posts below...you'll also see how many other people are on this forum with the same interest in these cars.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ety-eight.html

My black 98 is a full frame-off restoration that my father bought in '79 so I've literally grown up with this car. My other is a burgundy coupe with your same white interior, that one is more of a driver but still a very nice car. Anyway, ask any questions you have on here and one of us will definitely do our best to help. Hang on to that Ninety Eight! There aren't enough of them around anymore!

John

Ps...those are not the original wheelcovers on your car...just sayin
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:45 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by jaunty75
ouch! Sounds like a downright painful way to go.

Welcome to the site. Nice car.
x2
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys. I am excited to see how the filler panels come out. I for sure will be up for a set of them. They are the only part of the car that i have a problem with. I still have to original one on this car and they are cracking and starting to fall apart slowly. The car was in storage from 2000 tell last summer when i got it out and just from driving it 2000 miles that cracked and fell apart alot more.
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Oldsdruid

Heh. Those rubber fillers are a weak link on about any GM car from that time period. But, they made the insurance companies happy. I used some earlier repop fiberglass fillers on mine when I got it in 1997. No they're not spot-on perfect, but they have served well.

Plus they were all that was available back then, and at that time anything woulda been better than the busted-up ones on the car. The old gent I bought it from was slightly picky about the car, but he couldn't find new fillers so he had duct-taped the pieces together from the back side.

Here's those SSIV wheels I mentioned earlier, on a junker 71 Delta Royale convert.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...a-convert.html

Clean 'em up and paint 'em, and that Ninety Eight will be ready to go dancing!
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hello Christopher and welcome to the forum!
X2. The 73 and 76 are my favorite 98 years.

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
.those are not the original wheelcovers on your car...
But they sure make it look good!!
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Welcome! Suddenly you 20's something folk seem to be crawling out of the woodwork. Believe me, for us oldsters, this is really great to see! Again, welcome to CO and the Oldsmobile family!
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
.... for us oldsters...
Huh? When you own an Oldsmobile you're ALWAYS young, or did you forget the theme of "Young mobile'??
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys. I am excited to see how the filler panels come out. I for sure will be up for a set of them. They are the only part of the car that i have a problem with. I still have to original one on this car and they are cracking and starting to fall apart slowly. The car was in storage from 2000 tell last summer when i got it out and just from driving it 2000 miles that cracked and fell apart alot more.
Hey Christopher, how's your Ninety Eight doing? By the way, you have somewhat of a rare edition there....I have not seen many in the dark blue metallic and I think it looks great! The white "leather" was also fairly rare so that's a great combo! There was really only leather offered in black so the white is technically vinyl but looks almost the same and is extremely durable so with care, those seats should last a lifetime.

Dd you get the rear fillers yet?
John
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Christopher!

WELCOME ABOARD and as others have said, GREAT to see you young guys coming into these "Rolling Cathedrals" as well!! GOOD LUCK and your Grandpa would be PROUD to know you're taking care of his "Baby!" That IS a striking color combo -- PURE OLDS Baby! PURE OLDS!! (those were the days!) WELCOME AGAIN and good luck with her!!
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:07 AM

Welcome to the club, and boy, I'd be excited too! I'd keep it original, I love those '70s wire wheel covers. Good luck with the bumper extensions, that was one of General Motors' worst ideas ever. And the rust that attacked those beautiful giant cars from 1973 through '76. I hope you enjoy the heck out of it!
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Welcome to the site . kinda new myself . Nice car .
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:20 PM

Welcome... Biggest Olds ever and a 2door... Very nice. I wouldn't go wild with a cam,etc. That car is the ultimate smooooth cruiser.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum Christopher! Nice land yacht, you could make 5 Hyundai's from that.

Is the FLA company your dealing with E & K bumper fillers?
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:52 PM
NOVICE car nut

You guys do realize that this post originated from a year ago right ?
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:21 AM
GM Enthusiast

Nope, only looked at the last few posts and not the original date. Oops.
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:26 AM

I have not gotten very far on the olds yet . I am trying to finish college before i start getting some stuff done to it. Really just dont have the funds to do it. She has been sitting in storage until i get the money to get her all fixed up. I wasnt even able to drive it this last summer because of numerous front end parts that it needs and the rear main seal on the motor leaks like crazy so the motor is going to have to be pulled so i can put updated seals throughout. I haven't gotten around to getting the new body fillers yet but i am really going to need them cause the rubber is drying out and getting worse. But the good thing is i still have the car and i am not going to get rid of it. I cant wait to get her into driving condition again and go cruising! I am suppose to graduate college in December this year so hopefully by summer 2014 i will have her up and going.
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Chris, Check out the valve cover gaskets. If they are leaking it can be alot and it all runs down and seems like the rear main seal is leaking. Not that it cant be the rear main seal but if its just the v/c gaskets you can do in car. Also the oil pressure sending unit can leak a lot of oil. Its on the front of the engine.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM

I have not gotten very far on the olds yet . I am trying to finish college before i start getting some stuff done to it. Really just dont have the funds to do it. She has been sitting in storage until i get the money to get her all fixed up. I wasnt even able to drive it this last summer because of numerous front end parts that it needs and the rear main seal on the motor leaks like crazy so the motor is going to have to be pulled so i can put updated seals throughout. I haven't gotten around to getting the new body fillers yet but i am really going to need them cause the rubber is drying out and getting worse. But the good thing is i still have the car and i am not going to get rid of it. I cant wait to get her into driving condition again and go cruising! I am suppose to graduate college in December this year so hopefully by summer 2014 i will have her up and going.
Hey there..well, it's just about summer of '14...how's your Ninety Eight coming along?
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:27 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Welcome to the site! You'll find much good discussion here on your car and a vast array of knowledge. Please post more pics of this Regency. Big rides need love too.
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:30 AM

This thread is four years old, and the OP, who made only four posts total, last posted in March 2013. I doubt he will see anything posted now.
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:03 PM

I got the notice in my email for the thread, I hope he still has the car, or passed it on to another Ninety Eight lover.