The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New owner of 68 cutlass s

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 11:31 AM

New owner of 68 cutlass s

Hey everyone,

Recently bought a 68 cutlass s. This will be my first resto project and this car is gonna need a lotta work but im in for the long haul. I have been creeping through this forum for about a month or so now just reading through the questions and answers and i am sure i will have a million of my own. Anyway just wanted to introduce my self. Thanks for taking the time to read this
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Hi I'm Dean good with your car love that year as well
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Congrats on your project, here is a lot of knowledge on here to help if you get stuck. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Post more info on your new ride when you get a chance.
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard!

One of the good things about 68 - there's more aftermarket parts being made now than ever before.

One of the not so good things about 68 - working on the dash. You'll find out.....

When you say the car needs a lot of work, what sort of things does it need?
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM

Well the quarters need replaced the trunk needs replaced floor pans has no interior no hood no transmission engine is in pieces dont think its original it was made in 68 but last digits dont match the vin also have two either left or right side #5 heads its pretty much a mess right now but i plan to get it all back together over time post some pics after i read on here how to lol thanks for all the support from everyone on here
Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome aboard!

One of the good things about 68 - there's more aftermarket parts being made now than ever before.

One of the not so good things about 68 - working on the dash. You'll find out.....

Old May 10th, 2014, 11:12 PM

Also what is the common problem with the dash you have me curious now

Welcome aboard!

Old May 10th, 2014, 11:29 PM

Ok im assuming i just put the image code but if i am wrong i will read it here goes a shot

CAA24C33-014D-4EDF-8A9E-522BAB21FBD8.jpg
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:30 PM

This was from the craigslist add

EFC5C900-9EFC-42A1-9593-AD51F1A51A90.png
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Marz2684
Well the quarters need replaced the trunk needs replaced floor pans has no interior no hood no transmission engine is in pieces dont think its original it was made in 68 but last digits dont match the vin also have two either left or right side #5 heads its pretty much a mess right now but i plan to get it all back together over time post some pics after i read on here how to lol thanks for all the support from everyone on here
Wow! You really are a glutton for punishment. What you have there is a blank slate to build whatever you want. Hope your fabricating skills are up to the challenge and your bank account has some room. These project cars are notorious money pits, even when you do most of the work yourself. There's no such thing as left and right heads BTW, the 5 casting means they are the nice 68/69 (probably HC) so they are likely original? When the heads go on, the DS will show the 5 above the #1 cylinder, and the other side will have the 5 above the #8 cylinder.

Originally Posted by Marz2684
Also what is the common problem with the dash you have me curious now
It's getting access to work on gages that's difficult. That problem was solved in 1970 when the gages could be accessed from the front. 68/69 gages all had to be accessed from behind the dash, so I hope you've got smaller hands....
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Yea i like the blank slate idea i was wanting to do it as it was original from factory but dont think motor is original so may do some research and see what it takes to turn it into a 442 also i am blessed with little hands so i should be good to get behind dash
Wow! You really are a glutton for punishment. What you have there is a blank slate to build whatever you want. Hope your fabricating skills are up to the challenge and your bank account has some room. These project cars are notorious money pits, even when you do most of the work yourself. There's no such thing as left and right heads BTW, the 5 casting means they are the nice 68/69 (probably HC) so they are likely original? When the heads go on, the DS will show the 5 above the #1 cylinder, and the other side will have the 5 above the #8 cylinder.

It's getting access to work on gages that's difficult. That problem was solved in 1970 when the gages could be accessed from the front. 68/69 gages all had to be accessed from behind the dash, so I hope you've got smaller hands....
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you're wanting the factory look (won't be original because it's only original once), you'll need a 455 engine, choice of M40 AT or M20 or M21 4 speed, and appropriate gearing. Trim components for 442 are well known and documented. You will have to identify the car as a Cutlass or f85 though, because ONLY the 442s VIN had 344 as the starting sequence. That will always be a fact of life and anyone who knows Olds will be able to spot the car as a 'clone' , 'recreation', or whatever you want to call it. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just make it into a sleeper Cutlass that will blow the doors off its competition while looking stock.....