Another new guy on board! New 64 owner

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:26 AM

Another new guy on board! New 64 owner

Hey guys! I stumbled across this website yesterday while looking to find some information about the car I just purchased. I am new to oldsmobiles but not old cars. I have a 73 corvette that I have mechanicly restored over the past 3 years. (engine, trans, rear end, brakes, etc). I know tons about C3 corvettes, but not oldsmobiles! Parts seem to be a little harder to locate.

The car I purchased is a 2 door 64 Cutlass F85 with a 330ci/ 4 speed muncie. It is red with red interior and has power steering, 4 wheel non power drum brakes, and a non posi rear end (not sure of ratio). It was originialy an automatic but the previous owner converted it to a 4speed. It was advertised as the ultra high compression but I dont know if it is for sure. Is there any way I can tell?

I bought it to have as a fun driver and I dont care too much about having the matching numbers. I am the type of guy who likes to keep things "period" correct. The car does not have the originial wheels, but it does have oldsmobile wheels (advertised as Super Stock II?)

I am looking forward to customizing it to fit my tastes! I really like the look of magnum 500 wheels, and old sun tachometers! I may even get a reverberator and an 8 track haha.

Any information would be great! I have been using the search tool to look through previous postings and it is very helpfull! Id love to find out my axle ratio, if the type heads that came on 330s flow well, which cams people are running, is the intake a square bore or spread bore, how many 64 F85 post coupes were produced, What my original color and options were etc...

Looking forward to learning!

James

I do have the bumpers for it, they are just not on the car. I just got the tags today so I will pick it up on sunday!

Here's a picture of my vette and the engine I built for it

Last edited by jrblanke; December 21st, 2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: adding info
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Past Administrator

James,
Welcome to our site! That car is nice but it is screaming for some period wheels, maybe halibrands or some early sixties five spokes with some tires that are a little taller. Really nice though.
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Oh man, the pictures of that '64 F-85 bring back some good memories! My mom had the 4-door version - white with a light blue interior. I don't remember much about it 'cause I was just a kid when she got rid of it, but I remember her saying she got the "big engine" so she could accelerate on those L.A. freeway on-ramps. That instrument panel has always been fascinating to me (crazy things that stick in a kid's head).

I'm new here too, just signed up yesterday. Sorry for posting to a month old thread, but when I saw the pictures of that F-85 I just had to speak up!
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Past Administrator

Good to have you here too Oskar.