The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new olds owner

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM

new olds owner

I just bought a 1972 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4 door on Thursday. Paid $600 for it. Right now I just plan to use it as a winter beater but it might have some potential if I had the time and money.

It needs a windshield before the snow falls. I've got one quote for $320. Whindshield washer fluid doesn't work. some big holes in the trunk pan. rear window leaks too. typical for a '72 with vinyl roof.

Pictures of the car are at http://s207.photobucket.com/home/auburn_in
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Welcome. That is definitely a car that only a mother could love, but, heck, for what you paid, it could be some fun. Good luck.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Hey and not a bad deal for a running, driving '72 98. Ok, yeah it's a little rough but these cars are getting harder and harder to come by. The washer not working should be pretty simple to fix. It looks like somebody already installed an aftermarket pump.....test it out and it's bad, just replace it with the same. If you want to make it correct, you can find replacement, rebuilt pumps.

Give it a tune-up and maybe some snow tires and that car will be awesome for the winter! I used to drive '76 98 around in the winters and would sometimes be the only person on the road!
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:09 AM

I havent had the car a full month and I've already had a guy tell me his ex father inlaw might buy it for $1000.
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. You will get more welcoming comments from members in this forum so I moved the thread.
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sounds like a heck of a good deal to me.
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Nice Olds. Looks very original and complete.
It should be possible to fix everything that doesn't work for fairly little money.

Have fun with it, and enjoy the 455!

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! I think ya got a deal there - she may be a little rough, but she's fixable. Those things go like tanks in the snow, lol!
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Crazy Canuck

Welcome! That car can fit a family of 10!
Wayne
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM

I don't plan on doing much work to it or putting too muchg money into it. It's just something to keep my truck off the snow and ice. Although there is that big part of me that doesn't like am old car go to waste, no matter what condition it's in.
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM

I miss my 71 98 LS
Originally Posted by 72winterbeater98
I just bought a 1972 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight 4 door on Thursday. Paid $600 for it. Right now I just plan to use it as a winter beater but it might have some potential if I had the time and money.

It needs a windshield before the snow falls. I've got one quote for $320. Whindshield washer fluid doesn't work. some big holes in the trunk pan. rear window leaks too. typical for a '72 with vinyl roof.

Old December 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up

WELCOME Aboard again! How's that project coming?! Did you get a new Windshield installed yet? Dang, that Quote sounds HIGH that you got for one...but maybe they're that rare now??? You could always duct tape some plastic over it for the Winter! lol GOOD LUCK and keep us posted! NEAT car Beater or not!!

Old December 8th, 2010, 09:04 PM
...should get a life....

Welcome. A great mix of style & economy you have there
You'll get offers for it without a doubt. I love seeing old, weathered, original in ya face gas guzzlers still getting around. Talk to the drivers and they'll always tell you how much someone has offered for them. Good luck with your parts & I hope it gets you through winter in one piece.
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Welcome to the site. Glad to see another one that can be saved.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM

I havent got a windshield for it yet. Not sure I will at that price. Although, this freezing weather is making the crack move. I've had to put one quart of tranny fluid in it already. Probably about due for a quart of oil too.
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:48 AM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Nice car for $600...the windshield probably cost a lot because the radio antenna is in the glass.

Are you in Lake County? If Lake effect snow starts tonight, then donuts in the WalMart parking lot tomorrow...OK, maybe not.

Enjoy your new old car!
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
the windshield probably cost a lot because the radio antenna is in the glass.
Actually, in my experience, the exact opposite is often true. Because most of the cars of this type back then came with windshield-mounted antennas, that was the most common type of windshield glass produced. To find one WITHOUT the antenna was the more difficult prospect, and IT would usually end up costing more because there were fewer of them around or because it had to be specially made.

I needed a new windshield for a '75 Delta 88 I owned back in the '90s, and that car had a fender-mounted power antenna, so it didn't have nor need an antenna in the windshield. As I recall now, the cost of the windshield at the time (about 1995) was about the same with or without the antenna.
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Dekalb county. I was quoted a lower price with the antenna.
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Question

Lower Price WITH the Antenna? Hmmm...good to know; got a small crack in mine on my '72 -- as you said; w/ the frigid temps the damn thing is spreading! UGH! Too big already for AutoGlass Company to repair it now too! I also learned that even if it's a small/short split or crack, that IF It touches the Edge of the windshield glass at the top or bottom that they can't repair that then either! (How many years did Olds USE those dang Windshield Antennas anyway?? Was a good idea to prevent vandalism to antennas or just general damage etc. but the reception was often not the best! Even my '81 Regency has this feature...just curious...)

Dekalb county. I was quoted a lower price with the antenna.
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
(How many years did Olds USE those dang Windshield Antennas anyway?? Was a good idea to prevent vandalism to antennas or just general damage etc. but the reception was often not the best! Even my '81 Regency has this feature...just curious...)
Yes, from what I recall back in the day, the reception wasn't as good as with a fender-mounted antenna. But I don't think it was done to thwart vandalism or anything like that. I think it was just a design idea to give the cars a sleeker, cleaner look.