The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Olds not new to cars

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2014, 11:56 AM

New to Olds not new to cars

Hi everyone!

I'm from Southern California and my dad just purchased a 56 Super 88 4 door hardtop. We have had a few classics in the past but this is the first Olds for us.
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, we have quite a few people on here stuck in the 50's. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome aboard. Was the car already turnkey or is this a project for you guys?
What's the color combo?
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:03 PM

Car is pretty much turnkey. I has a Chevy motor and trans in it. It does run and drive, needs tires. It was missing the rear bumper, which we have already found, and front bumper needs chrome. Right now we are having hood hinge issues, as in we broke the passenger side one yesterday. Interior is decent. Two year old paint.

As far as I can decode it was single color white, I cant find the interior trim code anywhere but we are betting it was white/red or solid red. Its now solid red with a white top. We will probably two tone it since its looking like the hood might need to be replaced.

I don't have any pictures yet but when I get some I will post.
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:07 PM

this is the only picture i have of it right now. While we were bringing it home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1290.jpg (68.9 KB, 26 views)
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Welcome aboard. Doesn't look bad from the one picture, should make a good project to bad it doesn't have the original engine or trans in it as in my opinion it takes away the uniqueness of it. Should you need help on the other parts of it feel free to ask, lots of help at this site...Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

A link to the Classic Car Database if you're interested.
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:28 PM

We are Chevy people so the motor didn't bother us and well with it being non original it was a better deal. We hadn't planned on keeping the power train stock if it failed anyways. This is going to be a keeper for our family and we have been known to drive em all over the place, and well when your on the road its easier to find a part for a SBC vs the SBO.

Thank you for your offer on the parts help. It is appreciated. I will be using it very soon as those hood hinges are a bear and I think the hood has been damaged I just need to put it up against another one for reference.
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's your car and your choice for drivetrain - I understand and accept that without question. Just be forewarned there are some folks on Olds forums who will say a non Olds powered Olds is blasphemy.

The car looks great, and I'm sure you'll enjoy cruising in it and getting thumbs up. I've always wanted to pick up a 2 door 52 or 56 and restomod it. I know there are available parts, but creating and sculpting your own style has always been on my wish list.
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:47 PM

Thanks Allan,

My dad is known for this...he had a 350 in a 52 Cad...yeah those guys didn't talk to us at shows. I've sell white wall tires so I get blasted daily for not having bias plys on my cars...

One nice things about how we build cars is we keep them pretty true to correct outside. Opening the hood is always optional. Here's my personal OT car to give you an idea of our stuff.

Hey, I just remembered, my first first car was a 68 cutlass...ha ha I forgot about that one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0029.jpg (66.2 KB, 16 views)
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That looks stock! 55 Bel Air? Guessing coupe but not sure because of the angle. Is that the coral color?
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Its a 150 sedan, the 3 passenger business sedan. Looks stock until you open the hood, big SBC, power steering, disc brakes, etc. Its a 58 GM color not the original 55 coral which was too pink.

This is what we plan on the 88 looking like, stock body, paint, interior but underneath is modern comfort. As long as you don't open the hood, your good to go at national events! I'm a member of the Vintage Chevy Club and no one is ever the wise UNLESS they hear my exhaust!
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:47 PM

I don't understand why so many think Chubby is the top all engine to use?

Gene
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe this will help?
We are Chevy people so the motor didn't bother us and well with it being non original it was a better deal. We hadn't planned on keeping the power train stock if it failed anyways.
Not a problem from my side. Some people will like Buick, Pontiac, Chevy, Olds, Cadillac...and then Ford, Mopar etc. Personal choices for personal rides. The OP wasn't trying to stir the pot, just giving an idea of his goal.
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:09 AM

Great looking car!