The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new to Olds but not cars...

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Talking new to Olds but not cars...

i am used to owning big cars, but usually Ford products... i have owned numerous Panther Platform cars. i like the bigger cars with real bumpers and stuff compared to the plastic cars. i am in Nebraska and like the big cars for the ride since i am in country not city.

My fiance and myself just bought a 1985 Cutlass Supreme Sedan... we paid $350 for it and it isnt in too bad of shape, but not the best of shape either. it was owned previously by a guy on a reservation and the car needs a few things worked on. it recently had the master cylinder replaced, but brakes never bled. low and behold that was an interesting drive back home. i would have gotten out and bled the brakes out, but afraid the bleeders are rusted up too bad and the weather is keeping me from it. the day after buying the car, the weather hit with LOTS of snow. just got the car Friday, so if you seen the weather, you understand the snow that hit Nebraska. i hope to learn about this car as much as i have about the big Ford cars
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Crazy Canuck

Welcome aboard!!

Wayne
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM

thanks for the welcome... i will put up pics in another thread of non oldsmobile cars of bodywork and paintjob i have done to show that i can work on cars and will do my best to get this old car back in shape... i know i am gonna have to get the brakes figured out, valve cover gaskets, tune up, get another steering wheel, and find a different rear bumper or one to mod to go on the car that is in better shape
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Welcome!. I hope it is a rewarding car for you and your family.
I owned a ford once or twice myself
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Try soaking those bleeder screws in a solvent like PB Blaster for a few days. Squirt them a few times a day real good with the stuff and let is soak in. This may help to prevent them from being damaged when backing them off. Good luck.
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM

if it is ok, i will post pics of a car i did work on... it shows me working on it from sanding and pulling to priming and the painting and marble stripe paint job i did... i will post in the off topic type area... i think i am gonna do a similar paint scheme to the car i have now... i think i will do a metallic pea green with a dark green stripe down each side with silver marble coated in green candy over the marble
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Past Administrator

Sure go for it! We always like to see the workmanship of members (even if it is on an off-topic vehicle).
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM

well... i braved the cold to check something on the car... i found out why there is no heat... the heter core was bypassed leading me to believe the core went bad... looks like another job to do, but if autozone is right on their site, it shouldnt be too bad of a job