The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Olds

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2013, 10:33 AM

New to Olds

I got my first olds this week. A 1972 455 Vista wagon. Unfortunately it has no title. The owner said they had it until I had it loaded on the trailer. Looking forward to talking to everyone.
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome, pic's are a requirement. You need to figure out what's required in your state to aquire a title. Some processes are not as easy as others.

Last edited by oldcutlass; September 13th, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by carcrazy
The owner said they had it until I had it loaded on the trailer.
What does this mean? What does you having it loaded onto a trailer have to do with the seller losing the title? Were you present when it was loaded onto the trailer? Did you give him the money before he gave you the title? Doing that is not a good idea. Did he at least show you the title and thus prove he had one before you gave him the money?

He owes you a title. Titles do get lost, and they can be replaced. Why can't he just get a replacement and then sign it over to you like normal? Might be a lot easier than you going through whatever process will be required to get one on your own. Of course, if he has your money, you have no leverage over him now.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I got my first olds this week. A 1972 455 Vista wagon. Unfortunately it has no title.
Welcome aboard. It seems that most of the 72 VC's that have been popping up are 455 equipped. Wish they'd put that kind of punch into the coupes in the same proportion.

Good luck getting your title documents straightened out. Where are you located? Love to see some pics of the car when you get a chance to post them. As Eric said ^^^ we love to see pics.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Vista

I will try to get some pics this weekend. I havent unloaded it yet. Its a little rougher than I first thought. I may just have to part it out. I have stumbled on a collector that is downsizing his olds collection. He has a Rallye car along with a 70 conv and several nos parts. I have made a offer but we havent agreed on a price yet. I have always been into Blue ovals and VW's now but the more I look at Olds I like them. Im in Tn.
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! x2 on the picture request.
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Welcome to CO. The car may be rough; but is it road-worthy? Have fun with it first...then, when you are ready to make it a parts car, you will have given yourself enough time to buy another Cutlass.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Its a little rougher than I first thought. I may just have to part it out.
What is "a little rougher"? Not trying to be rude but when you buy a car this old usually you do more than just a quick glance at it before pulling the trigger; and it's a given that it will need work considering it's age. A PO who has 'lost' the title suggests this car has been sitting for quite some time. If it's not unloaded how would it be any different for appearance or inspection than when you bought it? Sometimes what appears to be rough is just that, sometimes it's not. Hard for us to say since we're not there, and haven't seen any pics of it yet.
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM

What I mean by a little rougher is that it has more rust than I thought. Yes I looked at the car. I have been working on old cars for 20 years and I totally understand what it is to buy an old car. And the reason its not unloaded is I havent had time. Im happy with my purchase. I know what I need to do to get a title. So with that said when some other projects are finished maybe I can get started on the Vista.
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Vista Crusiers are definitely cool. We look forward to seeing pics. Does it have faux wood paneling? FWIW, I think the faux wood paneling in the 70s was tactfully done and complimented the car (sort of like the vinyl tops).
Old September 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM

I started an album with some pics of the VC. Thanks
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice looking project. I was expecting much worse from what you said in post 5. Hope you do go for the resto and not part it out. Sorry if my comments ^^^ came across wrong.
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:34 AM
NOVICE car nut

The car looks pretty good from what I could see . I would try and get the title issue figured out , and start a restore if you can .