The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New/Old Guy from VA

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2013, 04:29 PM

New/Old Guy from VA

I have been out of the Oldsmobile World for 20+ years. Luckily I never sold my cars. I have a 1971 Cutlass SX with pretty much every option. This was my first car when I turned 16. Purchased from the original owner, I restored this in the 80's. Used to show it in the World of Wheels, made it into Muscle Car Review back in 87 or 88 and never worked on it again after that. The car has been sitting probably since 1993 in a garage. I know, sad. I am losing my storage spot so it is finally coming back home to me. In the next few months I will replace the tank, prime the oil pump, and fog the cylinders. Any other tips?

I was also lucky enough to find a 1971 442 W-30 Convertible before I got out of cars and keep that as well. It originally was red with black stripes, top and interior. The person I purchased it from was going to red with white scheme. Still has black interior in it now. Same deal, losing the storage. This one has been run in the past 6 years but still will be careful. I have not found the documentation on this car but it looks like I need to hire a private investigator with the prices today!! I was told this car was actually used in Dirt Drag races back in the day. It had a roughly built 455 in it when I got it that lasted about 1 month before I blew it up. Luckily it came with the original W-30 motor that I had professionally re-done back then. It has the original motor/distributor/red fender wells/original W-30 fuel filter. Transmission has been changed and someone in the past put a 12 bolt rear end in it. I am also missing the gauge side of the rally pack. The previous owner was pushing the car in his garage and heard a crunch!!

A lot has changed since the last time I have been into this. In my day, it was before internet searching for parts so Hemmings and swap meets is all I had. Sorry going off like an old geezer. Seriously though I am glad to see so many restoration parts have been re-produced. If you knew how hard I tried to paint those Chrome plastic panels behind the arm rest base. And the seat backs flaking off.

I need to get a couple of gas tanks. I see that there available for as little as $100.00 to 195.00. Are these the same tanks or is one made in US and other in China? Any opinions?
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. You might want to come out to the Capitol City Rockets Spring Dust-Off on April 20 at Burger King in Manassas. Look forward to seeing you there.