The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1964 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight owner, new to the site

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM

1964 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight owner, new to the site

My name's Mark and I live in AZ (Phoenix area). I bought a 1964 Olds 98 2 door hardtop from a place in New England and had it shipped here in October 2012. I bought it over the internet (not always the best idea), but I am working to get it fixed up. I am dropping a brand new GM ZZ4 350 small block crate motor and a THM700R4 tranny in it as I'm typing this, as the original 394 had 2 bad cylinders, which I didn't know about when I purchased it. I found a hood at a local junk yard, but I am in desperate need of a decent trunk lid. I'm also looking for a few other bits and pieces. The interior is decent and the chrome trim is almost complete. The local junk yard has (I think) any of the trim I'll need. Is there anywhere I can go to get a trunk lid or the rear lights (I'd love to have a spare set)? I do need the reverse light covers on the back, too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures soon, but wanted to introduce myself. Hope to engage in some great conversations!

Last edited by 1964olds; March 19th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. Mark
Sounds like you have a major project looming there. Curious to know why you didn't just rebuild the 394, wouldn't that have been less $$ than dropping in a crate engine? There are many others on this site with older models like yours who may have a good handle on where to find spare parts. You're lucky to have a wrecker close by that still has older cars.

Any pics of your ride and the mods being done?
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM

Try USA parts supply. You can download the cat for large oldsmobiles. I think I saw lenses for your car...they have a good assortment. I spent a few months searching for a front directional on my 1964 88...they are out there. Good luck. What did you do with trans??
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks, Allan. It'll be a labor of love, to be sure. It'll be worth it. I weighed my options regarding the rebuild vs. new engine, but with the cost of the 394 rebuild, plus the cost of rebuilding the slim jim tranny, which few people can actually work on, as it's a "unique" transmission, the crate engine was ultimately a better option for me. The crate engine is 300 pounds lighter, has more horsepower, has all of the necessary parts (fuel pump, water pump, power steering, starter, etc.) and the overdrive THM700R4 transmission will be much more efficient. Living in Phoenix, everything is a highway drive and I like trips to Vegas, so the crate has an added reliability factor (3 year 36k on the engine, 12 month 12k on the tranny). Now that I'm making the change to a crate engine, I can make the car more of a "resto-mod" vs. going crazy trying to keep it 100% original. As soon as I get it back from the garage, I'll post some pics. Like I said, the interior will be good for a number of years, but the paint and trim on the outside is what's going to cost me the most and needs the most TLC. I need a trunk lid, but can save the rest of the panels (I think).
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Hey Navvet, thanks for the recommendation. I have the USA Parts Supply catalog and have been looking through it. Right now, the 394 and slim jim tranny are still at the garage where I'm dropping the crate motor. I'll update the post when I get my car back. I'll let you know what my guy still has at his garage after the swap. It was a tough decision to not stay original, but the cost and long-term value for me just wasn't in the rebuild. The crate is rated at 355 HP and 418 ft/lb vs. 330 HP and 440 ft/lb on the 394, but the numbers are a bit exaggerated. I'm keeping the crate stock until I fix the outside, then I'll go back into the engine and work on some upgrades. Ultimately, I'd like to keep it normally aspirated, and with the right upgrades, dyno testing got as good as 436 HP and 426 ft/lb on the ZZ4 350 small block.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Just an FYI...give the chassis a good examination!!! Being a New England car ( Born and raised myself) acid rain, salt and who knows what they put down in the 60's for ice melt beats up the box frame! Give it a good inspection.
For fun you can find YOU TUBE Oldsmobile commercials showing the 98. Again good luck.
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up

WELCOME ABOARD and best of luck w/ your new toy; sounds sweet!
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM

I Just got her back, new engine runs like a dream. I'm posting pics now.
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:13 PM

That 394 looks a lot like a SBC with all accessories right where they should be. That should make for some happy cruising!
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:05 AM

That should be a cool car. Don't forget about Kanter and Fusicks for hard to find parts. I definnitely think your car will drive better with a 700R4 than the Slim Jim. I had a 64 98 and the Slim Jim is a POS. Now, putting a Chevy engine in it is another can of worms.

Happy cruising.
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:35 AM

That is a nice looking car!
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:46 PM

Nice looking car you got there...check your PM and email!! I Have a few ?'s