The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member hello...

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:20 PM

New member hello...

Hello all,

New to the forum, from Salem, Oregon. Interested in parts and knowledge to fix up and sell a 1966 Olds 98 convertible. Nice car that some well intended individual played around with. Just got it running, looking forward to the first trip around the block.

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130115_153706.jpg (74.5 KB, 30 views)
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Justin

Welcome !! I would look up 2blu442 for parts he is in Orgeon , not sure if he will have what you are looking for but ,a great guy to deal with and can shoot you in the right direction if he doesn't have what your needing
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM

Thank you, will give him a call.
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Welcome! The pontiac wheels have to go.Ha Ha! Whats the rest of the car look like?
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. Ted,
Nice Land Yacht. You officially belong to Jesse's Land Yacht club here now. (That's anyone with a BIG Oldsmobile like yours)
There are a few vendors that sell parts for your car, what are your plans for it?

Enjoy the first trip!
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Yeah, the wheels are probably making some Pontiac and Oldsmobile guys groan in unison. Very nice car, except it is missing the seats. Only rust is by the battery on the core support, and a small hole under the rear seat. Looks like all the door panels and trim are in the trunk, along with some extras like another pair of fender skirts. The tire store is looking for some decent tires, (one would not hold air), then it's time for one of those unlicensed / expired tags trip around our neighborhood !
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM

If i took one of those trips around my neighborhood the cops would nail me real quick. I live right by a college.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome to C.O. Ted,
Nice Land Yacht. You officially belong to Jesse's Land Yacht club here now. (That's anyone with a BIG Oldsmobile like yours)
There are a few vendors that sell parts for your car, what are your plans for it?

Enjoy the first trip!
I really just wanted to save the car. Many years ago my uncle was an Oldsmobile guy. He would come every year and I would get to play golf with him and my dad. He would tune up mom and dad's car, and take me for a ride, flooring the car on the highway, something my folks would never think of. Cars to dad were just transportation, so Uncle John started my love for cars.
I loved Uncle John, so one time in Ohio I wanted to surprise him, and I washed his car. Any of you can imagine, guess what the car looked like after I unwittingly scrubbed it up using Spic and Span! I didn't understand at the time why he didn't seem happy, but later learned how I severely scratched the daylights out of his pride and joy, a burgundy 67 Olds 2 door.
This car is just one I had never seen in person, and it will be fun to bring it back to life.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 64 Oldsmobile
If i took one of those trips around my neighborhood the cops would nail me real quick. I live right by a college.
We live in the country, so it is unlikely to run into the man. If so, just fall on the sword and get the lecture.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Very nice story and glad you remember your Uncle so fondly. Looking forward to the build thread on your car. Some of the sheet metal you need might be available new. Easy way to find it is google "Oldsmobile sheet Metal". You'd be surprised how many hits that turns up. Specialty parts though are another matter.
Old February 21st, 2013, 07:12 AM

Very nice story and glad you remember your Uncle so fondly. Looking forward to the build thread on your car. Some of the sheet metal you need might be available new. Easy way to find it is google "Oldsmobile sheet Metal". You'd be surprised how many hits that turns up. Specialty parts though are another matter.
Thank very much. Other than the core support, the car won't need any new metal. Couple dents need romanced out, so the biggest hurdle will be the seats. (and finding the time to work on it) Am working on buying an old car I ve wanted for years, so this and an old Crosley may be for sale sooner than later.
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What kind of old car you looking at? Maybe a quick fix up on this will help finance the acquisition? If you're handy with upholstery prolly save yourself a few bucks. There's a guy not far from you (Ben R -LOL no relation) who might be able to offer some good suggestions or provide the service you need? Goes by RAMBOW this site. Here's his web link:
Classic Seat Restorations

Best of luck with your project.
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:50 PM

What kind of old car you looking at? Maybe a quick fix up on this will help finance the acquisition? If you're handy with upholstery prolly save yourself a few bucks. There's a guy not far from you (Ben R -LOL no relation) who might be able to offer some good suggestions or provide the service you need? Goes by RAMBOW this site. Here's his web link:
Classic Seat Restorations

Best of luck with your project.
Thanks much, just sent him an email.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:06 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Stop by over here. A member here in IL may be parting out ALMOST that very same car this very week.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-project.html
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Stop by over here. A member here in IL may be parting out ALMOST that very same car this very week.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-project.html
Thanks ! Emailed him and we are trying to figure out if I can get them from there to here.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:03 PM
Randy C.

Welcome to this site! This is the best Olds site going, in my opinion, for getting specific answers to questions as you restore your 98. I'm just up the road from you a ways and make frequent visits to Salem to visit my cousins (they live near the Lake Labish area NE of Salem and some farm that area). It would be neat to see you and your car on one of my visits in the future. Enjoy this great site and have fun with your 98!

Randy C.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to CO!
Thank you !
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Welcome to this site! This is the best Olds site going, in my opinion, for getting specific answers to questions as you restore your 98. I'm just up the road from you a ways and make frequent visits to Salem to visit my cousins (they live near the Lake Labish area NE of Salem and some farm that area). It would be neat to see you and your car on one of my visits in the future. Enjoy this great site and have fun with your 98!

Randy C.
Thanks, you are welcome and I would value your opinion on the car. Might go ahead and sell it the way it is, rather than cobble something in as far as the seats. I live south of the cousins on Macleay Rd, so it's not too far.

Ted