The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member to this forum

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:17 AM

New member to this forum

Hello,

I wanted to post some information about myself. I am a member on other olds sites, and thought I would join this one as well. I am 21, and a Mechanical Engineering major who will graduate in about 6 months.

I have had my 1972 Cutlass for 9 years now. I bought it with the intention of restoring it with my dad, and did just that. Speaking honestly I never should have bought this car because it just needed too much work, however I probably saved it from a worse fate, and the finished product makes it worth it. The car got new quarters, lower door skins, fenders and hood. The A pillars were quite rusted out because of the vinyl top, and all new sheetmetal was fabricated and welded in. Same goes for the rear window support. The Rear frame was quite rusted and someone had previously "repaired" it with bondo and fiberglass... So the rear frame rails from the back of the rocker to behind the wheel was cut out and replaced by an experianced frame shop. The floor was entirley replaced in the car, and the entire interior was redone. The Car was primed and Painted with Sherwin Williams Ultra 2000 system paint, and a black vinyl top was put back on. I also bought 15x7 SSIII snap on cap wheels for the car.

The engine has been rebuilt, but is going to be gone through this winter because I am looking for some more power. Has a lunati cam, holley SD intake, Quad carb, HEI distributor, new springs and rockers. All this will be reused with 6cc dish pistons which I already have, the heads will be cut .020 and everything will be gone through. The 350 transmission has been rebuilt, and the rear is going to be hopefully done this summer sometime with 3.42 posi gears to replace the open 2.56's. Here are some older pictures, unforutunatly I do not have any more recent pics, however the car now has the chrome bumpers on instead of the black ones.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:29 AM

I forgot to add that I am currently in Germany for a few more days (study abroad term, I cannot wait to get home and drive my car). I am from Buffalo NY, but go to school Flint Mi, at Kettering University. ME with Auto body and Chassis Minor. I work in Buffalo 6 months a year, and go to school in Mi for the rest of the year.
Joe
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:44 AM

Welcome to the site. Its really great that you and your dad did this together, what great memories. You'll like this site great bunch of guys here.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, great job.
Larry
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Nice work
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Past Administrator

Joe, you did a great job on that car. Welcome to CO. Very nice indeeed.