The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Member - 1972 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM

New Member - 1972 Cutlass Supreme

Hey all, I figured I'd introduce myself and tell you a little about my 2 owner '72 Supreme. My name is Steve, I'm from the Houston TX area. I've worked on this car since my Dad and I first changed the head gaskets when I was 12 years old. After that I started to follow in the footsteps of my father and became a lifelong Oldsmobile Cutlass enthusiast.

My first car was another '72 Supreme that my dad gave me when I was 17 (I wanted a Chevelle with white letter tires, he found a '72 Cutlass with white letter tires and knew I'd love it). After becoming a Mondello customer at 17 I decided my first '72 needed a big block and since then I have been hooked on BBO power. I put a lot of work into that car so when I found out it was totaled in my Dad's driveway by a drunk driver it was a hard pill to swallow. Since then I took a break from working on cars to pursue a career in Army aviation.

2 years ago, my Dad (Mom put him up to it) called me and offered to give me the '72 Supreme we worked on together when I was a kid, after all he has 3 ('72 Supreme, '72 Convertible, '70(2) Vista). I couldn't turn down a chance to own the car I learned how to drive on, and the one I have fond memories of working on with my dad. The best part is that I am named after my Dad and don't have to change the title, keeping it a 2 owner car (Our family and the little old lady that bought it brand new). I am now 31, and have seen this car get a crummy paint job and a 455 that looks like Jed Clampet made millions off of it.

Now that the car was passed on to me, I have decided that it needs an update. I started building the 468C.I. 455 in December '09 and just finished it due to budget constraints (yes, I have a lot of money in this 600hp behemoth). It will be backed by a TH-400/gear vendor overdrive and Ford 9" rear end with 4.11 gears. For money and 'why the hell not' reasons I am widening SSIII's to 11" (rear) to accommodate 12" slicks. I want it to be a track worthy car that I won't be ashamed to show at a car show.

Before putting the motor in I decided that the car needs paint and interior. It is currently stripped and will go off to paint this week. When it is finished (soon) it will be Pepper Grey Metallic with Black Metallic stripes. Although it is a Supreme, I have decided that the 600hp BBO would be better suited under a W-30 hood. It may not look original or have a 'sleeper' look, but it should still look as good as it will perform. Thanks to generous donations from my parents (dash pad, center console, NOS Dual Gate) the dark green/ bench seat interior will be converted to black buckets/ console w/ Hurst Dual Gate shifter.

I am documenting the build with a "HERO" camera that takes a picture every 60 seconds. I hope to have a few pictures up soon so those that are interested can see the progress.
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Welcome.

We all know that the 72 Cutlass Supreme is the best.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Past Administrator

Wow! interesting story and I can't wait to read some of your posts/threads, especially those involving the HERO camera work. I noticed your user name the other day and wondered at the time if you were a Naval Aviator. The gift of that Oldsmobile from your Dad is really cool, it sounds like he should join up here as well. Welcome to CO.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM

I fly Apache Longbow's, the Navy could only dream of having a helicopter so advanced lol! Thanks for the welcome...you'll see me in the big block forum most of the time I'm sure.
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM

Welcome aboard!
Another Texas to join us...
Make up a build thread and post your progress!
What is a hero camera? A picture every 60 seconds? I won't allow one of those in my garage. It would show me drinking too many beers and launching tools / parts into orbit...

Originally Posted by oldzy
We all know that the 72 Cutlass Supreme is the best.
But only the convertibles, you know...
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM

It's just one of those small camera's that you can mount just about anywhere and has a water proof case. It takes 1080P video or pictures, and you can specify a picture rate if you want to be hands off. My parents gave it to me for my birthday and I thought it would be a good way to chronicle the progress of the rebuild so that I could show my family (dad excluded) what it takes to do one of these cars. I started using it last week when I did the front end bushings and refurbished control arms...it's pretty neat to see the car transform. I do have to review the pictures before sending them off though because I am afraid I'll have one of me yelling at my two boys who often play in the driveway/street while I'm working. A still picture doesn't tell the whole story and a pic of me screaming out to them would make me look like a maniac, lol!
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

Welcome.

That photographic resto history sounds cool.
I'd be deleting me yelling at my neighbor to pipe down because he's constantly yelling at his two boys when they play in the street or in their driveway.

I would put a dead Morlock dummy in the background and make it up every day a few times then combine the pics into a video so it decays in fast motion like in the original "The Time Machine" movie.
Dracula with a stake though his heart or with the rays of the Sun shining on him would work too.
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! That's a cool story! Another 72 lover - They are the best!
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Welcome to CO, Steve! Great story, and what a great build up on the '72! Don't necessairly know they are the best, but we all feel "ours" are the best, don't we! LOL! Lots'a good folks on CO, and we all await your pictures of the build. Now four Olds Clubs in the Great State, one in the Houston area (Gulf Coast Club). Pretty nice people, also. Look forward to more posts from you, and maybe your Dad will join us. Gosh, an Apache pilot to boot! Fun, fun, fun!