The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Megan

Hi everyone, I’m a new member here. I inherited my dads ‘68 442 9 years ago. Just here for advice, help & misc. items. Here’s a photo of the car.

Old June 24th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Running On Empty

Welcome to the site. Sharp car. I like the red-line tires.
Old June 24th, 2021, 07:32 AM

Welcome to C O. Nice looking car.
Old June 24th, 2021, 07:49 AM

Welcome! Nice looking 442, my favorite year. The W36 stripe is even in the correct location! More photos and stories please!
Old June 24th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Randy C.

Hi Megan!
Glad you joined this site! For everyone's info, Megan is my niece and her dad was my brother who passed away from a terrible stroke at a way too early age. Megan's 4-4-2 has some interesting features, including its original engine and its original M21 close ratio 4-speed manual transmission with a 3.42:1 anti-spin differential. Her 4-4-2 has a lot of other interesting options as well. Most happy to see you here, Megan!

Uncle Randy
Old June 24th, 2021, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Hi Megan!
Glad you joined this site! For everyone's info, Megan is my niece and her dad was my brother who passed away from a terrible stroke at a way too early age. Megan's 4-4-2 has some interesting features, including its original engine and its original M21 close ratio 4-speed manual transmission with a 3.42:1 anti-spin differential. Her 4-4-2 has a lot of other interesting options as well. Most happy to see you here, Megan!

Uncle Randy
I sure would like to go to your family reunion!
Old June 24th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Congrats on being the caretaker of your family legacy.
Old June 24th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Megan

So many stories LOL

My dad had this car for going on 30 years (well in 2022), and I guess he doesn’t “have” it anymore. But he actually LOVED this car, probably more than his girls. I helped him with the rebuild my entire childhood and the amount of smiles I remember coming from my dad had to do with this car. It’s been in several car shows up and down the Pacific Northwest. I plan to try and take it to some shows so that I’m living on my dads purpose for this car.
Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Welcome! Nice looking 442, my favorite year. The W36 stripe is even in the correct location! More photos and stories please!
Old June 24th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Megan

Love ya!

Thanks Uncle Randy!!
Hi Megan!

Uncle Randy
Old June 24th, 2021, 02:11 PM

Welcome aboard, Megan; you've got a sharp ride, there! And as Johnny notes, the stripe is correct, including the placement of the 4-4-2 numerals!! Awesome! And do i detect head rests/restraints?
Old June 24th, 2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by meghobs
I helped him with the rebuild my entire childhood and the amount of smiles I remember coming from my dad had to do with this car.
That's awesome! Keep the smiles going.
Old June 24th, 2021, 03:19 PM
Megan

Yes sir, there’s lap belt restraints and headrests as well. When my dad originally got the car it didn’t have them, but he put that option in when he rebuilt.
Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Welcome aboard, Megan; you've got a sharp ride, there! And as Johnny notes, the stripe is correct, including the placement of the 4-4-2 numerals!! Awesome! And do i detect head rests/restraints?
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Oldsmobiles and Family legacies go great together...
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:28 PM
ctr

Very sharp ride!
Old June 24th, 2021, 07:15 PM

Welcome! Very nice.
Old June 24th, 2021, 07:48 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Welcome to the 68 circle. The GM one-year wonder.
Stick or Automatic? Nice color combo. Looks like Code F(on the tag on the firewall) teal frost poly(metal flake). Is the interior blue or teal? Do you have any history before Dad's acquisition?
We are well-versed on 68-69 here on CO. Many long-term owners & experts here...so ask away. Not sure if there is anything we can add that Randy cant. Nice to have you aboard.
Priceless memories with dad! Condolences Randy and Megan, kindred soul.
Randy, you were holding out on the family depth of 442s.

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...HorizontalTab1
Old June 25th, 2021, 04:38 AM
Megan

Good morning! I love this color and it does need to be redone, so I would like for it to stay the same. Thank you for the color swatch info, that’ll come in handy. My dads car is a stick, the interior is the same blue throughout. From what I remember, my dad installed it himself. I don’t remember much about the car, from what I remember he traded his other cutlass and a couple thousand for the 442. I believe it came from Illinois. Uncle Randy might remember more, as I was about 8 when we got the car LOL. I love this car, it still needs some more work (mostly upkeep), sometimes I feel like it’s all too much. I’m glad that my uncle directed me here.
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Welcome to the 68 circle. The GM one-year wonder.
Stick or Automatic? Nice color combo. Looks like Code F(on the tag on the firewall) teal frost poly(metal flake). Is the interior blue or teal? Do you have any history before Dad's acquisition?
We are well-versed on 68-69 here on CO. Many long-term owners & experts here...so ask away. Not sure if there is anything we can add that Randy cant. Nice to have you aboard.
Priceless memories with dad! Condolences Randy and Megan, kindred soul.
Randy, you were holding out on the family depth of 442s.

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...HorizontalTab1
Old June 25th, 2021, 03:37 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Stick shift makes it biggly good!
Old June 25th, 2021, 06:05 PM

Welcome to the best Oldsmobile site. Enjoy your ride, there are more memories to be made...
Old June 25th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Randy C.

I recall my brother buying this car in the early 1990s, somewhere near the Crescent City, CA, area (extreme NW California). He was a corrections officer at the infamous Pelican Bay State Prison and got to see a few "celebrity" prisoners while there (Charles Manson comes to mind as he did a brief stint at Pelican Bay). It's a Lansing car. When he bought it, I seemed to recall that he said the license plates on it were from Montana, but I could be wrong on that. I had the impression that the car was slowly being "dismantled" for parts. For instance, I know the engine and transmission are original to the car but the differential that was in it at that time - a 2.73:1 open rear end - just didn't match up with the M21 transmission. My brother was a master at getting parts for next to nothing and I couldn't believe it when he found the 3.42:1 limited slip differential and paid next to nothing for it. The 3.42 is a much better match for that M21 transmission and was actually an available option with that transmission for '68. It makes me wonder what was in the car originally - a 3.91:1 perhaps? It also has power disc brakes, the rally pack and power steering. I think it has a tilt column as well and possibly a power driver bucket seat.

Other things were missing, like the console and the 8-track tape player (brackets and holes there but no part for it came with the car). Fortunately, the entire driveline was essentially untouched - original parts to the engine - heads, exhaust manifolds, distributor, alternator, water pump, starter, etc., all seemed to match up with the build date of the car last week of October 1969). The 7028251 carburetor was in real bad shape - he took it out and gave it to me for parts. In return, I gave him a 7029253 carburetor that is now in the car as I understand. I think the carburetor is the only year-incorrect part on that engine.

It also came with the wood steering wheel, as I recall, and the remote driver side mirror. I think it had an AM radio with rear speaker and he upgraded it to an AM-FM radio with rear speaker. He also found an 8-track player, got it restored and installed it in the already existing holes on the underside of the dash. Same for the console. It seems to me the car came with steel wheels and dog dish caps. He found a host of SSII wheels at $5/each in the early 2000s and that's what's on the car today. He added the W36 stripe and that's when both of us found out the 442 numbers go in a different place for the stripe so he took care of that before the car was painted. It also came with a power antenna and remote trunk opener. He upgraded the passenger seat to a reclining bucket seat and also added the optional headrests. Megan's car really has a lot of options - about the only ones I can think that it doesn't have are power windows, power door locks, heavy duty cooling and air conditioning. Oh, and he also installed a rear window defroster that wasn't with the car originally.

My brother really enjoyed driving that car and Megan was by his side much of the time. Megan was the only one of my brother's 4 daughters that demonstrated real interest in the 4-4-2 and that's why she has it today!

Randy C.
Old June 26th, 2021, 08:36 AM
Megan

So I believe dad actually took apart his 8 track player he had to install in the car, but I could be remembering it wrong. It still works and I also have my dads 8 track collection of tapes. But I keep CCR in the car because it seems right. We did go to Grants Pass, Oregon to pick up the car, but it was being trailered in from the Midwest if I remember correctly. It does not have power lock or windows, as I am reminded when I hop in it LOL. I do need to fix the AC/Heating unit as it will only blow heat right now. As far as the steering wheel goes, it’s currently upholstered with the same leather that’s on the seats. I have not seen another steering wheel but it’s possible my dad may have covered the wooden one with the leather.
I recall my brother buying this car in the early 1990s, somewhere near the Crescent City, CA, area (extreme NW California). He was a corrections officer at the infamous Pelican Bay State Prison and got to see a few "celebrity" prisoners while there (Charles Manson comes to mind as he did a brief stint at Pelican Bay). It's a Lansing car. When he bought it, I seemed to recall that he said the license plates on it were from Montana, but I could be wrong on that. I had the impression that the car was slowly being "dismantled" for parts. For instance, I know the engine and transmission are original to the car but the differential that was in it at that time - a 2.73:1 open rear end - just didn't match up with the M21 transmission. My brother was a master at getting parts for next to nothing and I couldn't believe it when he found the 3.42:1 limited slip differential and paid next to nothing for it. The 3.42 is a much better match for that M21 transmission and was actually an available option with that transmission for '68. It makes me wonder what was in the car originally - a 3.91:1 perhaps? It also has power disc brakes, the rally pack and power steering. I think it has a tilt column as well and possibly a power driver bucket seat.

Other things were missing, like the console and the 8-track tape player (brackets and holes there but no part for it came with the car). Fortunately, the entire driveline was essentially untouched - original parts to the engine - heads, exhaust manifolds, distributor, alternator, water pump, starter, etc., all seemed to match up with the build date of the car last week of October 1969). The 7028251 carburetor was in real bad shape - he took it out and gave it to me for parts. In return, I gave him a 7029253 carburetor that is now in the car as I understand. I think the carburetor is the only year-incorrect part on that engine.

It also came with the wood steering wheel, as I recall, and the remote driver side mirror. I think it had an AM radio with rear speaker and he upgraded it to an AM-FM radio with rear speaker. He also found an 8-track player, got it restored and installed it in the already existing holes on the underside of the dash. Same for the console. It seems to me the car came with steel wheels and dog dish caps. He found a host of SSII wheels at $5/each in the early 2000s and that's what's on the car today. He added the W36 stripe and that's when both of us found out the 442 numbers go in a different place for the stripe so he took care of that before the car was painted. It also came with a power antenna and remote trunk opener. He upgraded the passenger seat to a reclining bucket seat and also added the optional headrests. Megan's car really has a lot of options - about the only ones I can think that it doesn't have are power windows, power door locks, heavy duty cooling and air conditioning. Oh, and he also installed a rear window defroster that wasn't with the car originally.

My brother really enjoyed driving that car and Megan was by his side much of the time. Megan was the only one of my brother's 4 daughters that demonstrated real interest in the 4-4-2 and that's why she has it today!

Randy C.
Old June 26th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Megan

Trim Tag

Here’s the trim tag for the car
Old June 26th, 2021, 03:58 PM

A very nice car, Nice to see the family history. DD on the trim tag indicates Sapphire blue paint. 943 is blue vinyl interior with bucket seats.
Old June 26th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Randy C.

...and I didn't remember the build date correctly. I thought it was the last week of October 1967 but it was the first week of October 1967 - a fairly early production date for the '68 model year.

Randy C.
Old June 26th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Running On Empty

If I'm not mistaken, the Oldsmobile 4-4-2 became a separate model in 1968. The cowl tag (data code) on your Dad's car demonstrates the vehicle is a 1968 2 Dr. Holiday Coupe S (33687). If this were a 1968 4-4-2 the cowl tag (data code) should be 34487. I believe someone rebranded this vehicle. The VIN tag would be definitive.
Old June 26th, 2021, 06:34 PM
Running On Empty

As a follow-up, it appears the 1968 model year demonstrates a cowl tag with dissimilar model series numbers than what is found on the VIN tag? Supposedly, this is documented in the CSM & other documented material. But again, the VIN tag would be definitive. It caught me off guard when I saw a 33687 cowl tag (data code) but supposedly they produced 4-4-2 models in 1968 with 33687 cowl tags. Difficult to keep up with some model years for me.

joe_padavano
This comes up a LOT. Again, the use of Cutlass cowl tags on 1968-69 442s is completely documented in factory literature. The CSM, the Fisher Body Manual, the parts book, and the Product Information Manual all talk about this. My 68 W-30, 69 H/O and 69 442 all have 33687 cowl tags. This is a non-issue.
442 but not. Found Fisher Body tag

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 26th, 2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: source information
Old June 27th, 2021, 03:36 AM

Welcome, Megan!! Nice car!!!
Old June 28th, 2021, 07:35 AM

Welcome Megan, Love your car and appreciate your willingness to carry the torch for your dad by driving it just like he left it for you. It is a beauty.
Old June 29th, 2021, 08:31 AM

welcome and congratulations from another 68 owner , sweet 68 ! Lansing built cars are the best! all of my 68's are Lansing built, 2 of my 68's are Oct and Nov 67 build dates . obviously you can drive a stick shift ,do you work on it yourself also? what 68 parts are you looking for ? since I have several 68's ,I have some extra parts . there really should be a 68 owners club
Old June 29th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Megan

Thanks! I actually helped my dad build this car. A stipulation for me to drive it was that I had to take at least 1 year of auto shop in school, so I did 2 LOL! I wasn’t able to drive it until I was about 20 hahahaha. I haven’t gotten too deep into the car. And in all honesty it’s been so long since over worked on it, not sure if I’m capable of doing most of the repairs. But lucky for me I married a mechanic. As of right now, I know I need some floorboards, as these are rusty. Possibly some fenders but I won’t know until I take the paint down on it. I’m not in a position to put much money into it right now, so I haven’t dove in.
Originally Posted by MI68442W30
welcome and congratulations from another 68 owner , sweet 68 ! Lansing built cars are the best! all of my 68's are Lansing built, 2 of my 68's are Oct and Nov 67 build dates . obviously you can drive a stick shift ,do you work on it yourself also? what 68 parts are you looking for ? since I have several 68's ,I have some extra parts . there really should be a 68 owners club
Old June 29th, 2021, 12:59 PM
Banned

Great car. Great story. So sorry you had your Dad pass. He still looks down on you 🙏
Beautiful car. The comment earlier about the stripe was a deep Oldsmobile comment. A lot of people put that stripe on but in the wrong location. 442's that have that stripe the emblem is ina different location than a non stripe 442. Just a little FYI. Good luck with all you do to your car and your world.

Crescent City? Take me back. I lived between Arcata and Eureka in Bayside California. Thanks for bringing up Redwood memories!!
Old June 29th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Megan

Oh that’s such a small world you’re from the northwest. If you ever made it up to crescent city in the late 90’s to about 2009 and went to Sea Cruise, you definitely saw my dads car. I lived in So Cal and had the car down that way from 2015, until we move to NC 5 years ago. This car has seen a lot of the country LOL. I saw a 442 once that had it down the hood like a camaro. I was always like, “uhhhh I don’t think that’s right!” LOL.
Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Great car. Great story. So sorry you had your Dad pass. He still looks down on you 🙏
Beautiful car. The comment earlier about the stripe was a deep Oldsmobile comment. A lot of people put that stripe on but in the wrong location. 442's that have that stripe the emblem is ina different location than a non stripe 442. Just a little FYI. Good luck with all you do to your car and your world.

Crescent City? Take me back. I lived between Arcata and Eureka in Bayside California. Thanks for bringing up Redwood memories!!
Old June 29th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I would not be in a hurry to tear it all apart. Fix whats not working, take care of the safety items, and drive it until you can afford to fix it back up.
Old June 29th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by meghobs
Oh that’s such a small world you’re from the northwest. If you ever made it up to crescent city in the late 90’s to about 2009 and went to Sea Cruise, you definitely saw my dads car. I lived in So Cal and had the car down that way from 2015, until we move to NC 5 years ago. This car has seen a lot of the country LOL. I saw a 442 once that had it down the hood like a camaro. I was always like, “uhhhh I don’t think that’s right!” LOL.
I moved back to Colorado in 1990. If you know Eureka I worked at Eureka Car Stereo late eighties into 1990.
Old June 29th, 2021, 05:02 PM
Megan

Hahaha I know exactly where that place is/was. I haven’t been through there in 2 years and I don’t remember seeing it. But I could not have been paying attention.
Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I moved back to Colorado in 1990. If you know Eureka I worked at Eureka Car Stereo late eighties into 1990.
Old June 30th, 2021, 08:17 AM
Randy C.

Was Eureka Car Stereo on Broadway/Hwy101? I was stationed in Eureka 1976-1978 when I was in the USCG.

Randy C.
Old June 30th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Running On Empty

I've been to Crescent City, Arcata & Eureka - beautiful area. A friend of mine I used to work with retired as Superintendent of Redwoods National Park ~8 years ago. I drove out to see him (from NC) the week before he retired since I was taking a five week trip to the Northwest anyways - catching Frontier Days (Cheyenne, WY) for a week. That area around NW CA & SW OR is very nice.
Old June 30th, 2021, 03:11 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Marysville, Yuba City, Chico(ahhh CSU Chico!), Red Bluff, Clear Lake, Mt Shasta, Sierra Nevadas, Sac-of-tomatoes, Tahoe, Bay area... nothing like Cali from a location stand point, all great memories.

FYI a 68 442 can have 366 or 344 on the data tag. The Vin tells you 442 or Cutlass/F85. Well discussed well documented here.
My Fremont car....bought in Roseville, has the 344 on both the vin & data tag, typical for 68 Fremont 442s.
A LAN... Lansing MI 442 will have 366.
Old June 30th, 2021, 03:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by MI68442W30
Agreed it's a one-year wonder for many parts.
I have not seen a 68 442 any earlier than 09C, 3rd week Sept 67. I know they exist, just have not witnessed one in the wild.