The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Here from NY

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM

New Here from NY

Hey guys just start searching the internet for some good Olds forums and I seem to have liked this one the best so here I am!

Little about me, Im 21, live in NY nd have a 71 Olds Cutlass, 72 nova, nd a 66 grand prix (all thx due to my father who wanted to pick up some projects to work on together, needless to say he was never really into cars but i was so here we are)

I picked up the 71 cutlass over the summer from an ex-body shop guy who had already done a large majority of the bodywork to the car...so i lucked out lol

But its a 71 with what he told me is a 74 350 olds engine in it. Visible is a Holley Street Dominator Intake nd stock rochester 4 br q-jet (which i want to get rid of ASAP cause the car bogs out terribly at full throttle) and he also told me it was cammed (which i have no way of knowing)
-just this weekend i installed new motor mounts (cause the old ones were mush nd the fan shroud wasnt on which was due in part to my high temps)
-this week im installing flowtech full length headers nd a full pypes exhaust system

Also car was originally an auto and it was converted to a 4-speed (console)

other than tht ive got a lot of work to do

EDIT:
dont bash me for the 442 emblems ...previous owner had them on there and the 2 stripes on the lower i removed those but the emblems are still there for now

interior is completely stripped

nd check out the paintjob in the pics...previous owner had painted it himself in his driveway and told me the paint "failed" on him...its not glossy at all very dull and rough (if you can tell from pics) ...any ideas on what went wrong? ideas on a possible fix (like products tht will buff it out possible?) if not once all is said and done itll b sanded and painted (original color was a dark green from the door jams)

Last edited by rocket1889; December 5th, 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: adding more
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Maybe that paint could be rubbed/polished out? Nice color anyway.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Hello and welcome!

Nice cutlass. From the pics it's hard to really tell but the paint doesn't look all that bad...maybe some close up shots would help us better tell. From what I can see, I would think some sanding and polishing would be a good option.

Good luck with it and keep the pics coming as you make progress.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Just MHO, But I'd would toss the Q-jet so fast.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Welcome to CO! As a quick aside, I've always heard that a Q-Jet works remarkably well as long as it is set up properly to begin with; no constant adjusting as with a Holley. Don't quote me on that, as I most certainly wouldn't attempt to adjust anything mechanical on an Olds. Body work, OK. But that other stuff, nope.
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Welcome to CO

Like the red, try to buff it out before you give up on the paint. There are some carb guys on the the site they might be able to give you some pointers. Good luck
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Thx guys and cutlassgal

With the paint I am going to try and buff it out first, but if tht doesnt work sanding and polishing is on the way...BUT im worrying about tht after my engine is setup

About the carb....I am new to this forum and the muscle cars BUT if there is one thing i kno its dont start a carb war...so yeaa haha srry for bringing that up

And yess when I get home later more pics will be up of the installed motor mounts and hopefully passeger side header
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM

I have had 2 Olds & a Buick with Q-Jets. Never a problem with them when they are set-up right. You have to find someone that knows his business though. Years ago a friend rebuilt one off my 1969 442. He took it apart, threw all the pieces into a can of cleaner then reassembled it with a new kit. Adjusted it & handed it to me. It took him maybe 20 minutes. I put it back on the car & never had to adjust anything, engine ran beautifully.