The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Here

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2015, 02:57 PM

New Here

Hi all. Iam new here. I have a 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2 door. I would like to add a rear sway bar and some shocks that firm up the ride. Does anyone know the size of the stock front bar? Thanks in advance. Travis.
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. There are many choices for aftermarket rear sway bars that will bolt right up.
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The car should have come with a stock front sway bar. You can measure that with calipers. Something to consider - the front sway bar bushings and link kits are likely worn out. Replacing those may improve the front end handling a fair bit just by itself. Also make sure the front upper/lower bushings on the control arms are good. That with new front shocks/possibly ball joints will make a huge difference.

Tightening up the rear end? You'll need to box in the rear control arms but there are plenty of aftermarket kits for the rear sway bars. Here's a kit from Belltech. Here's one from Hotchkiss (at Jegs). You get the idea...shop around and see what the best price and product are.
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:29 PM

If you have the ability to weld, you can also box your own rear control arms. Home Depot carries bar stock that is thick and exactly the correct width, you just need to trim it and weld it in. If you do this, make sure you weld in the spacers or tube stock between the sway bar holes to reinforce them. (You can box the uppers as well as the lowers, but some recommend against boxing the uppers. I did the lowers only, and it was a nice improvement.) WS6 3rd-gen F-bodies had a hollow 36 mm front sway bar that will work to upgrade your front bar, and the stock rear sway bar is generally available. I've had really good luck with Bilsteins on a number of cars, but I threw a set of Monroe Sensatracks on the Cutlass and am happy with them.