The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new guy needs some help

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM

new guy needs some help

Heelo Guys and Gals,

This may seem like a strange request, but need your help. I bought a Dana rear, yes, its a Dodge rear, 30 years ago. For what ever reason the guy had installed Olds brakes, drums, etc, with aftermarket axles. Well, after all this time I got the car rebuilt and moving. Yes, it is a Dodge, my first car, and couldn't bear to sell it.

The car is allot faster than I ever thought it would be, and the drums are a little scary to me. I cannot find anywhere what type or car they came off of. The drums are 2 piece where the center section has tabs bent over to hold it to the outer section. I am guessing these parts came off of a late 50's or early 60's car. Shoes are 11 x 2 inches on a 5 x 5 bolt pattern. Center register is 3.075.

Question is, am I better off just finding a later backing plate and updating the whole thing or are there some drums out there that will fit this? If so, where would I find these parts?

Thanks for the help, Bill
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:04 PM

Switch to discs, and loose the 'scary'!!
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM

Just like was said, go to disc. "Scarebird" make brkts and a list for parts to convert. Or other company's make kits, but disc is the way to go.

Gene
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Just like was said, go to disc. "Scarebird" make brkts and a list for parts to convert. Or other company's make kits, but disc is the way to go.

Gene
I know discs are better, but I was trying to avoid spending the money to changeover when all I needed was the drums. Plus would have to change the master cylinder. Didn't want to open that can of worms.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dodgeguy101
Heelo Guys and Gals,

This may seem like a strange request, but need your help. I bought a Dana rear, yes, its a Dodge rear, 30 years ago. For what ever reason the guy had installed Olds brakes, drums, etc, with aftermarket axles. Well, after all this time I got the car rebuilt and moving. Yes, it is a Dodge, my first car, and couldn't bear to sell it.

The car is allot faster than I ever thought it would be, and the drums are a little scary to me. I cannot find anywhere what type or car they came off of. The drums are 2 piece where the center section has tabs bent over to hold it to the outer section. I am guessing these parts came off of a late 50's or early 60's car. Shoes are 11 x 2 inches on a 5 x 5 bolt pattern. Center register is 3.075.

Question is, am I better off just finding a later backing plate and updating the whole thing or are there some drums out there that will fit this? If so, where would I find these parts?

Drums look something like this? You should be able to cross the Centric number to Wagner or Raybestos if you don't want Chinesium parts.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM

I'll have to check on the size. I did get a drum for a 85 something, at work, don't remember, but the offset was wrong, only about 1/4 of an inch to much. Drum was going to hit the backing plate. Other than that it would work. I will see what the number you gave me does at the parts store compared to what I have.

Thank you, that is what I was trying to find.

Don't get me wrong, the car stops fine, it was the drum and the way it is made that was worrying me. I upgraded the front to discs a long time ago.

Bill
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM

The drums you have in the picture is the same as the one I got from NAPA. The offset is about a 1/4 inch too much, it will hit the backing plate. If I wanted to just change the backing plate to fit the drums, what years should I be looking for and where in the world would I find them?

Are there allot of years that will interchange and what is easier to find?

Any NOS places around that may have them?