The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy from central Jersey!

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:44 AM

New guy from central Jersey!

Whats happening guys. Names Joe, picked up a 63 Super 88 4door back in September. Drove home from Cleveland alright, been driving it just about everyday since. Cars in great shape, everything intact and working except clock and minor petina on the paint/glass/driver seat material. Even has added 8 track player and dated Johnson/Humphrey election stickers (to be swapped for Nixon/Agnew sticker shortly). heres a link to the website i found it on for pics, i love the car and all of the original literature it came with. http://www.classicmotorcarsonline.co...88-sedan.shtml#. the 394 skyrocket runs pretty good, slight leakage but nothing some tightening wont solve. only minor issues are a slight putting when at idle and some ping when accelerating whilst already at speed (like passing another motorist) was just wondering what this could be. Also tips on adjusting the 4 bbl would be greatly appreciated. thanks fellas!
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Very nice car, there are a number of members in your area. The pinging could be as simple as going to a premium fuel or declining your timing a degree or 2.
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM

thanks my man. i had switched to strictly premium and thats what i run. perhaps thats not enough, could use an octane booster? the carb could probably also use an adjustment which im not sure what it is, the shop book says 2 1/2 turns to the left on the two lean mixture screws but i dont rightly know for sure.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Always liked the plain/simple lines of the '63. Had a convertible in my college years.

Boy, the interior on yours is immaculate! Was wondering what the large black wire pictured running down the left side of the steering column was?

I would be very surprised if your pinging problem is fuel. Suggest you first try a tune-up: plugs, points (gap/dwell), timing and carb adjust.

Carb adjust not that difficult. Get engine warm. Put a tach on it. Disconnect distributor vacuum advance. Adjust carb air/fuel mixture screws for max r.p.m.

Good luck!
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM

that switch on the turn signal was at one time a cruise control from sears added later on. has a vacuum line running to an actuator on the brake pedal and a pump under the hood with a chain on the throttle. it doesnt work and i was thinking about removing it. could possibly be draining vacuum power even idk. not having a timing light/hand tachometer doesnt help. wheres a good place to find a handheld tachometer?
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM
My 73HO

Welcome!
Very nice ride you have there!
Hope to see you at some local shows!
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Welcome Joe. That car is in beautiful shape. Great interior!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldspicx 013.jpg (58.0 KB, 6 views)