The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the forum from Michigan!

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2022, 09:10 AM

New to the forum from Michigan!

Hi everyone!...My name is Nick and I live in Allen Park Michigan!...I used to be a service technician at Bob Saks Oldsmobile of Farmington Hills,MI and always loved Oldsmobiles!...my first Olds was a 1986 Cutlass Supreme that I paid 300 dollars for and wasn't worth saving but finally got the car I've been wanting for over 20 years now!...a 98% rust free 1978 Delta 88 Royale!...it has a 350 rocket and its the perfect project car!...my neighbor had a 2 door Delta burgundy with a burgundy interior and I always used to stare at the car when he would pull it out of the garage and wash it and get it ready for cruising...always loved the body style and those taillights!...so after 20 years of wanting a clean 77-79 Delta 88 I finally got my own!...it has 54,000 original documented miles on it and is light blue metallic with a light blue interior that's a 8 and a half out of 10!...I just got the car last week and I've already sunk some money into the maintenance of the car but that's just the beginning!...I have huge plans for this dream Oldsmobile of mine and I'm doing it all in memory of my late wife who passed away January 7th of this year due to complications from a car accident so this project is definitely going to help ease some pain and its a car I always loved and wanted and going to keep forever!...well I would love to make new friends and learn new things from fellow enthusiasts just like me...go to some cruise-ins and car shows coming up and hope to meet a few of you either meeting up at a few spots or buying some parts for my build!...well its a great pleasure to be here and thank you very much for letting me join such a great forum!

Last edited by 1978DELTA; February 12th, 2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old February 12th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, condolences to you and your family.
Old February 12th, 2022, 10:27 AM
Running On Empty

Welcome, very nice thought of developing a tribute car to your wife.
Old February 12th, 2022, 10:31 AM

Have fun, it's really nice to get back to the dreams that get lost or set aside along the way. And sorry to hears about your wife's passing. Post some pics when you can.
Steve
Old February 12th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your project...
Old February 12th, 2022, 12:33 PM

Sorry to hear of your wife's passing, I'm sure she will be riding shotgun with you. Best of luck
Old February 12th, 2022, 01:56 PM

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and condolences!...it really means a lot to me during my time of grief...I'm going to try and load some pictures for everyone to enjoy as soon as I get home from work!...me and my wife were looking at a light mint green one at a repair shop on Thanksgiving before she passed and I told her you know what Lena I always wanted a 77-79 2 door Delta 88 and so I called the repair shop where that car was located and unfortunately it was a customers car that they were working on and it wasn't for sale but after she had passed I started searching Craigslist and Marketplace for one and sure enough I found just the car i was looking for!...I think she granted my wish from heaven and got me the car I always wanted!
Old February 12th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Lansing built

Welcome to CO! My condolences on the wife! There are not enough kind words to heal the pain of loss of a loved one! There are ton of Olds people in the Detroit area aka Motor city rockets, You may want to attend the Homecoming show up in Lansing the day before fathers day. Largest Olds show anywhere!

Regards, Pat
Old February 12th, 2022, 05:49 PM

Welcome!
Old February 12th, 2022, 09:27 PM

Its the worst feeling in the world without the love of your life not being in the passenger seat or even driving the new Olds!...I have my mother that's in her late 60s that had a 1970 Cutlass as her first car that she tells me stories on how she would smoke people in it off stop lights!...she's a Olds lover as well and she backed me up and said pull the trigger on the car!...She wants to go with me to the shows and it would be a honor to attend that big show coming up near fathers day!...wonder if there's a swap meet there as well?...I'm going to try and post some pictures of the car now for you guys to enjoy!
Old February 12th, 2022, 09:36 PM

Old February 12th, 2022, 09:40 PM

There she is guys!...couldn't have picked a better car to restore due to how clean it is from top to bottom!
Old February 13th, 2022, 04:31 AM
Lansing built

Look like a good solid project. I have been looking for Delta 77-85 coupe in a nice driver condition for while for around $5-6K area. A little too proud of them in Michigan and now it's gotten worse! Last spring a friend offered up 29K mile 91 Z34 for a honey of deal and I took him up on it!

The Lansing show has like 50 plus vendors including Fusick and DR. Decal.

Pat
Old February 13th, 2022, 04:39 AM

Welcome to the site, sorry for your loss. Many good folks here willing to answer and encourage.

Keith
Old February 13th, 2022, 05:38 AM
Bfg

Hi Nick, Sorry for your loss, my brother had the exact car that he bought new. Great car!
Old February 13th, 2022, 11:19 AM

There's a copper penny colored 78 with a vynal top in Ohio on marketplace right now that if no one scoops up here in a couple weeks I might consider buying that one as well!...good to hear there's going to be vendors and such at the show!...I'm going to make sure everything maintenance wise is done so I can make a safe trip to the meet...the car made the trip from Ohio to here when the seller delivered the car to me but a lot of things need to be done still already did a AC Delco complete tune up on it soaked and fogged the fuel system with seafoam and berrymans 4 times replaced the upper radiator hose...still got to replace the bottom drained and filled the transmission but I plan on doing that one or two more times then change the screen and gasket...still got to pull the differential cover and clean and brake clean everything and bolt it back together and add fresh fluid...just going down the list before I even plan to upgrade the car also plan on putting a 180° thermostat in her and inspect the front and rear brakes and replace all belts...looking to find a gentleman on here that is willing to do a repaint on it for me as well and find a parts car and try and track down parts needed to get her in showroom condition once again!...and again guys I really appreciate all the condolences from you all...it really means a lot to me!...I'm in my 40s and don't have too many friends but I have friends here in the Classic Oldsmobile community!...my best friend is still with me though looking down upon me from heaven each and every day!