The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM

Hi gang!

New to the forum here but not new to cars. I've had a pair of Oldsmobiles in the past, and both were daily drivers; a 72 Cutass and an 84 Delta 88 2dr.

The current project is a 75 Delta 88 'Vert for my wife. It is an "almost" twin of the car she drove in highschool.

She had a 73 88 'Vert that was her first car. Her dad patched it up and she drove it for a while until it got really rough. Then it sat in her dad's barn for many many years. When I met her I brought the car to my dad's shop and started going through it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth saving. So I searched for a better candidate to start with.

My brother's good friend fell into the deal on this 75. He bought it from the grandson who inherited it from the original owner, his grandfather. It is an Alabama car and is super cherry. It had a few shopping cart dings and the paint was somewhat faded. The top needed replacing and the back window was smashed. The interior was nearly perfect. The best part was that it was the same color combo of my wife's.

My brother's friend doesn't hang onto his cars very long. I mentioned that I wanted first crack at this one when he was ready to sell. A year later when he lost his job, it became ours. I parted out my wife's old car for "spares" and then got started on this one. As a bonus: my Father-In-Law already purchased a brand new top and rear window for her old car.

We have a young family so I spent one winter getting the mechanical components freshened up. Then the next winter my dad and I did the minimal bodywork it needed.

Since then it has sat for two years while I built a new home shop at my house. Otherwise I wouldn't have had anywhere to park it when it was finished. Plus our boys were too young to be riding in a convertible. But now the shop is done and the boys are a little older, it's time to ramp the project back up.

I have the paint on order and am planning to shoot the car within the next week. Then it will get set aside while I travel for work and we get through the holiday season. After the new year, I'll start putting it back together so that my wife can drive it next season. Here in Northeast, Ohio, we have cruising season. That's what I'm shooting for.

My apologies for a long winded into. But here are a few pics. The first is as purchased and the second is when we finished the bodywork. Since then I removed the rest of the interior and door handles and sideview mirror. The car is all blocked out and ready for sealer, color and clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Passenger Side resized.JPG (83.4 KB, 38 views)
IMG_0497small 2.JPG (73.2 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Local Hero; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM

Welcome

HTML Code:
The best part of it: my Father-In-Law already purchased a brand new top and rear window for her old car. 
Welcome aboard

Tell your father in law ............................I'm avaliable for adoption

Be sure to join the Land Yacht Club
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome fellow Northeast Ohio Olds Lover!!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

I likes them big OLDS convertibles
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Them thar big cars are shor gettin poplar around here. Me I likem too.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

I see you have fender skirts for the car too. That will be nice. Welcome to CO.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:10 AM

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Personally I'm more of a musclecar type as well as a custom guy. But since this big car is for the Mrs., we went after trying to replace what she had only better.

As for the skirts, like I said I'm a custom guy. My dad made those up from scratch to simulate a 98. They look factory but were made from scratch.

Last edited by Local Hero; October 23rd, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Captain of my ship

wow

he certainly did a nice job on those skirts , they look as good or better than my factory ones.
Attached Images
014.jpg (156.9 KB, 6 views)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Past Administrator

I agree, nice skirts. So, why not shave the door handles, put poppers on them, channel the body and slam that sucker to the ground? Shouldn't be too much of a challenge for a custom guy.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I agree, nice skirts. So, why not shave the door handles, put poppers on them, channel the body and slam that sucker to the ground? Shouldn't be too much of a challenge for a custom guy.
ALL of our other cars are that way. Three of dad's cars plus one of mine all have air-ride. None of them have door handles. Mine even has shaved sideview mirrors.

The Mrs. wanted this car to be more like her old car that was bone stock. We cleaned it up a little bit, added the skirts, cut a coil all the way around and will be painting it Dupont "Hot Hues" Razzling Red.

For us this project is more of an exercise in restraint.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
Hi gang!

New to the forum here but not new to cars. I've had a pair of Oldsmobiles in the past, and both were daily drivers; a 72 Cutass and an 84 Delta 88 2dr.

The current project is a 75 Delta 88 'Vert for my wife. It is an "almost" twin of the car she drove in highschool.

She had a 73 88 'Vert that was her first car. Her dad patched it up and she drove it for a while until it got really rough. Then it sat in her dad's barn for many many years. When I met her I brought the car to my dad's shop and started going through it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth saving. So I searched for a better candidate to start with.

My brother's good friend fell into the deal on this 75. He bought it from the grandson who inherited it from the original owner, his grandfather. It is an Alabama car and is super cherry. It had a few shopping cart dings and the paint was somewhat faded. The top needed replacing and the back window was smashed. The interior was nearly perfect. The best part was that it was the same color combo of my wife's.

My brother's friend doesn't hang onto his cars very long. I mentioned that I wanted first crack at this one when he was ready to sell. A year later when he lost his job, it became ours. I parted out my wife's old car for "spares" and then got started on this one. As a bonus: my Father-In-Law already purchased a brand new top and rear window for her old car.

We have a young family so I spent one winter getting the mechanical components freshened up. Then the next winter my dad and I did the minimal bodywork it needed.

Since then it has sat for two years while I built a new home shop at my house. Otherwise I wouldn't have had anywhere to park it when it was finished. Plus our boys were too young to be riding in a convertible. But now the shop is done and the boys are a little older, it's time to ramp the project back up.

I have the paint on order and am planning to shoot the car within the next week. Then it will get set aside while I travel for work and we get through the holiday season. After the new year, I'll start putting it back together so that my wife can drive it next season. Here in Northeast, Ohio, we have cruising season. That's what I'm shooting for.

My apologies for a long winded into. But here are a few pics. The first is as purchased and the second is when we finished the bodywork. Since then I removed the rest of the interior and door handles and sideview mirror. The car is all blocked out and ready for sealer, color and clear.

Is this the same Local Hero that also has a real nice 68 XR7.

Last edited by Nilsson; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: because I wanted to
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Is this the same Local Hero that also has a real nice 68 XR7.
Can't hide anywhere can I? Thanks for the comments.
Attached Images
p 5875 w txt2.JPG (95.7 KB, 20 views)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM

Yep, that is one sweet Cougar.

Btw welcome.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Paint jobber still owes me three pints of color base. But I'm aiming to pull the trigger on the Vert paint job this Thursday... if I can get my boss to give me the day off.
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Paint jobber still owes me three pints of color base. But I'm aiming to pull the trigger on the Vert paint job this Thursday... if I can get my boss to give me the day off.
Go for it!

BTW- welcome!

Ralph
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Post some pictures when your done shooting. We'll be waiting
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Captain of my ship

Really nice Cougar. So you have to restrain yourself on this Delta? So if she is not spending a lot of time in the shop things "might" get out of hand
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the Cougar comments.

I've been enjoying not having to ask for shop time to work on this Olds. She knows it's for her so I get no "chin music."

If I didn't finish it off the way she wants it, I'll never hear the end of it. As it is, she wasn't too fond of the skirts until she saw them done and on. I still haven't told her about the gentleman's drop yet either.

Oh and it's official. I just got clearance to take Thursday off.
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM

Where did the year go?

Well I know that I have not kept up with this thread. But I have been keeping up with the car.

It's done!

Actually, It's BEEN done since July. I missed my wife's milestone birthday by ONE day. We've been enjoying it all summer and it is now officially put away for the winter along with the rest of the fleet.

I did the paint back in October '09 and then let it sit over the holidays. After the first of the year, I started the scuff and buff process. Long story short, I ended up having to re-shoot the decklid. It matched up really good.

I spent the rest of the winter putting everything back together. The entire floorpan is dynamatted. I installed a CD player with 6 speakers and modified kickpanel pods.

It spent two months in the trim shop (VERY LONG STORY and no fault of the shop) getting the new white top put on which actually ended up being three tops.

The interior, including the carpet, is all original except for the headrests and center armrest.

My wife has gotten stopped numerous times while out and about by people who want to know what the color is, who did the work, and if it's the same car she had in high school as we live in the same township she grew up in.)

The one thing I didn't get done this season was a fresh dual exhaust system. The factory original exhaust system is still on the car. I'll take care of that in the Spring.

Anyway... here are some pictures. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
IMG_0977 resized 3.JPG (87.9 KB, 21 views)
IMG_0991 resized 2.JPG (88.6 KB, 15 views)
IMG_0989 resized.JPG (71.6 KB, 18 views)
IMG_0980 resized.JPG (75.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Local Hero; December 1st, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM

Wow - SWEET is an understatement for sure! Sure is cherry - and cherry red, too!!!
Love that color - I bet you wife is very proud, and you too!!!!!
The cougar is sweet, also! I like most all old American cars.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:17 AM

Hey Mark,

LOVE the Royale! I have 2 '76 Ninety Eights and my next car will definitely be a '74 or '75 Royale Convertible similar to yours. You do beautiful work and I wish you lived closer because I would love for you to paint one of my cars! Anyway, best of luck with the new ride and keep up with the forum, it's a great place to talk Oldsmobile!

Also, do you still have any parts from the '73 convertible parts car? There's another member on here looking for some parts for his '74 convertible. Here's the link to his post:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-convert.html

John
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:34 AM

AWESOME JOB!! THAT IS A SHOW STOPPER! Congratulations on a great finished prodcut; bet your wife is happy!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Cutlass Lover

What a beauty!!!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
Oldsdruid

I had my doubts about those skirts but they work.

My 73 was a triple Cranberry car. Brings back memories.

Where did you find the speaker kick panels? I'm thinking they may be Impala, which should be the same as the other B/C cars.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:21 AM

Thank you all for the nice comments!

Yes, the Mrs. really enjoys the car and so do our boys. But they keep wishing that it was "faster like dad's car." LOL!

She really only likes driving it with the top down. So I don't have any pictures with it up. But the white top really sets off the burgundy paint. Had I known this was going to be the case, I could have just not even bothered with a top, put the frame down permanently and snapped the boot over it. It would have saved a ton of $$$$$.

The backstory on the fiasco with the trim shop (again, no fault of theirs) is that the top my Father In Law donated to the cause had spent countless years in the attic of his barn. When they installed it, they were running it up and down and a burr on one of the bows sliced the top all the way across. Those dang "scissor" frames anyway. The top had become dry-rotted and was very brittle which didn't help matters. I'm just glad it happened there instead of the first time I went to put the top up at home.

They ordered a new top but it took three weeks to come in. By then they were waist deep with other scheduled customers. The second top went on and when it came time to put in the back window, they learned that the new top had a nylon zipper and my replacement window had a brass zipper. NO MESH!!

The top came back off again and they had to sew in a matching zipper. All was well the third time around.

I do have a few parts left from the 73. Some of them I used on this car since they were in better shape. The rocker panel moldings were trashed. I cut the rear wheel moldings to work with the skirts on this car. But I saved this car's original moldings, which were nicer, in the event that we decide to run it without the skirts.

Sorry I can't help Jamie.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Where did you find the speaker kick panels? I'm thinking they may be Impala, which should be the same as the other B/C cars.
I had read on here about guys using Custom Autosound pods. I researched those and could not find any that fit this car. So I got a pair of the larger A-Body panels and sliced, and diced and spliced, cut and trimmed them to fit using pieces of my original panels. Once I got them to fit like I wanted, I dyed them and stole some of the pieces of the carpet off the original ones to hide some of the work.

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The guys at the trim shop even asked me how I made them since they get customer requests for stuff like this all the time. But one thing to consider, the early A-body panels I used do not have a provision for the hood release cable on the 75. I had to reconfigure a modified hood release cable to make it all work.

Last edited by Local Hero; December 3rd, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM

Thank you all for the nice comments!

Yes, the Mrs. really enjoys the car and so do our boys. But they keep wishing that it was "faster like dad's car." LOL!

She really only likes driving it with the top down. So I don't have any pictures with it up. But the white top really sets off the burgundy paint. Had I known this was going to be the case, I could have just not even bothered with a top, put the frame down permanently and snapped the boot over it. It would have saved a ton of $$$$$.

The backstory on the fiasco with the trim shop (again, no fault of theirs) is that the top my Father In Law donated to the cause had spent countless years in the attic of his barn. When they installed it, they were running it up and down and a burr on one of the bows sliced the top all the way across. Those dang "scissor" frames anyway. The top had become dry-rotted and was very brittle which didn't help matters. I'm just glad it happened there instead of the first time I went to put the top up at home.

They ordered a new top but it took three weeks to come in. By then they were waist deep with other scheduled customers. The second top went on and when it came time to put in the back window, they learned that the new top had a nylon zipper and my replacement window had a brass zipper. NO MESH!!

The top came back off again and they had to sew in a matching zipper. All was well the third time around.

I do have a few parts left from the 73. Some of them I used on this car since they were in better shape. The rocker panel moldings were trashed. I cut the rear wheel moldings to work with the skirts on this car. But I saved this car's original moldings, which were nicer, in the event that we decide to run it without the skirts.

Sorry I can't help Jamie.
Thanks for checking, I will keep on looking. Any suggestions from anyone please email me. racingelting@gmail.com

Jamie