The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Cutlass Cruiser lovin' member

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM

New Cutlass Cruiser lovin' member

Hi Guys,
I知 new to this forum and have come across it as I知 looking at getting another Olds, a Cutlass Cruiser to be more precise. So this section seemed the most appropriate.
I知 originally from Berlin, Germany, but live in England, ye olde Englande across the pond this is.
The car in my avatar is my old 72 Cutlass S which I owned for quite a few years and completely restored when I used to work in a restoration garage, wrenching on MG痴, Triumph痴 and Jaguars. Unfortunately I had to sell it as the garage went bust.
I致e kept myself busy with my more strip than street 67Bug which run low 12s at 110mph on the quarter.

Now, since most politicians and bankers have fcuked about every working citizen over in the western civilised world and our money is worth less and less with inflation, I figured I might as well invest it in something which will keep its value and give me enjoyment.
I知 on vacation for most of October and November, mainly in CA, but also venturing into OR, NV and AZ, travelling around in a camper and have already scanned the for sale section on here.
I always wanted a VC, but never knew about the cool early flat tops Olds made. I知 not partial to any particular year.
The wagon is going to be the tow vehicle to take the Bug to the drag strip.
Ideally I want something to drive straight away and restore later, but don稚 mind really, just don't want months of welding. All my parts for the 72 "S" resto before came from Fusick so I know my way around.

My first car when I was 18 and still at college was an 83 Cutlass Cruiser build in Canada for the European market with KM speedo and orange rear turn signals. Quite different from my friends Golfs and BMW 318s. Sadly I got T-boned one sunny Sunday afternoon and the car was a write off. I then bought a 79 US spec model and made one out off both. That one then got swapped for the 72.
I don稚 know how to insert thumb nails but here are a couple of pics.
The 83 just after the crash
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...r/Cutlass2.jpg
The 79 as I bought it
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...r/Cutlass1.jpg
The 72 "S" pre restoration at Santa Pod Raceway
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...tcher/Pod2.jpg
The 67 Bug (a VW on an Olds forum)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1.../NightRace.jpg
BTW its an ex stock Colorado car brought back in 2004.

My plan is to look at a few cars when I知 over so if someone knows of a nice flat top or VC which is not on here, let me know. I値l have my laptop and phone with me on my travels.

Cheers Frank
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Frank. I think most people missed your thread. As you must confess, the VC crowd is much smaller than the overall Olds community so I am moving this to the new members forum. You will get more responses there.
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
CQR

Frank welcome. Here is a local listing for a VC here in the Denver area. Nothing like getting all your rides from Colorado. Good luck in your search.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2591145763.html
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Pictures...ask and ye shall receive.

Cutlass2.jpg

Cutlass1.jpg

Pod2.jpg

NightRace.jpg
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have had some nice cars. I even like the Beetle. There have been a few air-cooled VWs in our family.

Last summer I was in CA and AZ for 2 weeks and went car shopping as well. I ended up buying my '72 Cutlass in Phoenix, AZ.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your VC search, I'll keep my eyes open for one here locally.
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM

Welcome! I like the Olds wagons as well and should end up with one this fall.
Hope you find just the right one!
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM

Thanks for moving the post. I'll put another thread up on the Station wagon & Vista Cruiser area.

CQR - I've seen this one on my CL search and will try to look at it.

Frank