The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the Classic Olds world

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:25 PM

New to the Classic Olds world

Hello all,

My name is Herman and I just purchased my first classic olds. I have picked up a 1971 Delta 88 Royale convertible. This was friend of mines car that has some electrical problems and has been sitting, covered in his driveway for about 8 years.

He had someone come and look at the wiring and got the engine to run again, but it's going to need a little bit of work to make her a sweet as she use to be. She runs and drives strong, just not great as of yet.

I have to drop all the fluids out of it and the give her a tune up. I was going to drop some seafoam into the engine before I drop the oil to clean out years of crud and then refill it all back up.

She has issues with the electrical to get the windows and top moving, so I will have to figure all of that out too... So if anyone has any input on anything or would like to throw some advice my way, I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much for allowing me to be part of this site and I look forward to learning more with and from everyone here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds pick up.jpg (56.0 KB, 65 views)
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to ClasssicOlds.

You'll find a lot of information that should help you on this site.

If you search for posts by me, there's a bunch of stuff about those nasty scissor tops and a diagram showing how to rewire it to avoid having to buy a replacement for their crappy relay.

You should get a copy of the 1971 Chassis Service Manual and the 1971 Fisher Body Manual.
The CSM is also available for free from WildAboutCars, but the scan of the electrical diagrams isn't great, and that's what you need. They don't have a '71 FBM scanned in yet, and you will need that for top and window wiring questions, but I can send you a pdf of the chapter on the top mechanism (I don't think it has wiring info, though).

Good luck!

- Eric
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Welcome to ClasssicOlds.

You'll find a lot of information that should help you on this site.

If you search for posts by me, there's a bunch of stuff about those nasty scissor tops and a diagram showing how to rewire it to avoid having to buy a replacement for their crappy relay.

You should get a copy of the 1971 Chassis Service Manual and the 1971 Fisher Body Manual.
The CSM is also available for free from WildAboutCars, but the scan of the electrical diagrams isn't great, and that's what you need. They don't have a '71 FBM scanned in yet, and you will need that for top and window wiring questions, but I can send you a pdf of the chapter on the top mechanism (I don't think it has wiring info, though).

Good luck!

- Eric
Thank you very much. I really appreciate all the help. I've been stuck to the posts for 2 days but unable to find the info I need
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Justin

Welcome !! Good looking vert you have I would paint the wheels to match the car but that's me

Also on the electrical don't over think it start with the basics fuses and clean contacting points like stated above check relays.
Good luck
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Welcome looks like a nice car.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Welcome !! Good looking vert you have I would paint the wheels to match the car but that's me

Also on the electrical don't over think it start with the basics fuses and clean contacting points like stated above check relays.
Good luck
Thank you! I have looked at the fuses and nothing bad there. But I have no idea which fuse goes to the windows or the top. As for the harnesses, I'm trying to trace them but not very successful. I'm not even getting a click or any sound when I hit the switches for the windows or the top so I have to figure it all out
Old November 3rd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Delta88Royale
I have looked at the fuses and nothing bad there. But I have no idea which fuse goes to the windows or the top.
That's because they go through a circuit breaker - top left position in the fuse block.

- Eric
Old November 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM

Welcome aboard! Nice to see more of the big cars of this era.
If shorting across the switches gets the top or windows moving, keep in mind that many of these can be rebuilt economically. Disassemble, resurface contacts with a dremel, and polish up terminals for the connector. I have done quite a few with good results.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. That is going to be a nice car. I like the color and I like the wheels on it. As has been suggested, getting the shop manuals is the first thing to do. Then get you a test light and start tracing the electrical gremlins down. As Rob mentioned, a lot of switches and relays can just be cleaned. Sometimes just unplugging them and plugging them back in will fix them. Keep us posted with your progress.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Herman! Look forward to hearing more about your ride.
Old November 4th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome, gotta love the verts.
Nice color combo.
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Registered Loser

Welcome

Beautiful car you have there. Nice color and oh those rare SSIV wheels... My favorite Oldsmobile wheels. Keep it original!
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by junqueboi
Beautiful car you have there. Nice color and oh those rare SSIV wheels... My favorite Oldsmobile wheels. Keep it original!
Thank you, I plan to keep them
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:51 AM

If anyone is interested in buying a nice looking 1976 Olds Delta 88 Convertible ,there' one at Alexander Automotive in Franklin, Tennessee. It's listed on CCTOL for $12,500 and has 41 pictures ,455, and only 85,000 Miles. Color is blue with white interior. Also listed at Alexanderautomotive.net Larry
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:02 AM

Welcome nice convertible and I love that blue. It reminds me of my first Cutlass
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Electrical problems can sometimes be discouraging to troubleshoot. Often, the problem is corroded connectors, which could be anywhere in the wiring. This car uses the Packard 56 series connectors, which are not environmentally sealed, so corrosion is more common than on newer cars. Get a CSM with the factory wiring diagram and take the time to understand how to read it. Trace the wires in each non-functioning circuit and pay particular attention to connections and grounds. Actually, some of the accessories like power windows and top are covered in the Fisher Body Manual, which you will also need. Good luck
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
If anyone is interested in buying a nice looking 1976 Olds Delta 88 Convertible ,there' one at Alexander Automotive in Franklin, Tennessee.
I think this is the car you're talking about, and it is a '75, not a '76. There was no Delta 88 convertible after 1975.

http://www.alexanderautomotive.net/U...TN/vd/14132101

Last edited by jaunty75; January 9th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM

OK,it was a '75, I saw it several days ago and in a few more days I Might be calling it an '85. Thanks for the correction. Larry