The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Classic Olds World - 63' Olds Starfire

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM

New to Classic Olds World - 63' Olds Starfire

Hello, looking for some information... inherited my Grandfathers 1963 Olds Starfire Convertible. The car is all original, in descent shape overall... BUT, the frame is rusted through, not drivable at this point. I'm not planning on selling it, I just need to know the value for insurance. Thanks - AL
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, need a bit more info and some pictures. A 63 Starfire Convertible is a very nice car and worth a fair amount of money when restored. However one needing a frame is not going to make it worth while when considering any other issues due to severe rust.
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM

The question is if the frame has rotted out what else is gone? Seldom does a frame go without taking other things with it. Pictures would be nice I love the starfires.....Tedd
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:38 PM

I will try to come up with some pics, it's covered and stored right now, but I will see what I can do. Thanks
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by rkbrine
The car is all original, in descent shape overall... BUT, the frame is rusted through, not drivable at this point.
This is an interesting choice of words. A car that with a rusted-through frame and not driveable would not normally be described as "in decent shape overall."

Why is it not driveable? Because of the rusty frame, or for some other reason?

In spite of the fact that it's a Starfire and a convertible, the fact that it is apparently in poor shape will be the greatest factor in determining its value. Collector Car Market Review values a '63 Starfire convertible in #5 condition at about $2,600.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/.../63olstre.html

Their #5 condition is described as follows, and I think it's a pretty good description of your car from what you've said. Your car is apparently complete, but it is not roadworthy, and, by many definitions, a car needing a new frame can reasonably be described as needing "complete restoration."

"#5 Poor: In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run. Not roadworthy."

The Old Cars Price Guide, which does not have an online presence, is a bit more generous. At the same condition level, their value for this car is about $4,200.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Are you sure it is even worth having insurance on it?