The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Need help verifying originality of 54 Olds

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Need help verifying originality of 54 Olds

I recently purchased a 1954 Super 88 that I am confident is all original. I want to have the car inspected and certified by FIVA. The inspector will be looking for proof of originality. Is there documentation available for this car that will show that any identifying numbers (engine number, chassis number) match and are the original serial numbers? Thanks.
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM

The engine numbers weren't matched to the body or vin on this era Olds, that didn't start till the mid 60's.There is a chassis number (serial number) stamped on the frame usually somewhere on the top of the wheel arch or near it where it is hard to see or find especially if the body is on the frame. If you have rust issues it often will disappear. I can't remember if that number is on the driver or passenger side but someone here may have an answer for you,it's been a while since I needed to know.
As far as the transmission , there is a number sequence that would tell if it came approximately in your year car but nothing I am aware of that would pinpoint it to your car precisely.
What are your issues that make you think your car has problems? Or are you going for a concourse type build. Hope this helps some......Lost in the fifties...Tedd
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:07 AM

thanks Tedd. I need to get a certificate of authenticity from FIVA for the car in order to be eligible for a historic rally I want to enter. FIVA will send an inspector to look at the car. The inspector is trying to verify the authenticity of the car, so one of the things they look for is some way to prove that the engine and transmission are original to the car. I think they are used to European cars where they can get a data card from the manufacturer showing the serial numbers of all the car components.

I am hoping to enter the car in the 2014 Mille Miglia in Italy.
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have never heard of FIVA. Apparently they are a foreign organization.
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM

I had never heard of them, either, but a quick google search turns up this.

http://www.fiva.org/EN/General_Info.htm

They appear to be based in Belgium.

It sounds like an organization similar to the Antique Automobile Club of America.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:43 AM

That's right. They have a branch in the U.S. to handle the inspections on the American cars. Some historic rallys require your car to be certified by either FIVA of FIA.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Well, what happens to a car such as yours, how can it be certified if many of the parts may or may not be from different cars? I could see it in a more modern car but as far as I know if someone stuck to the same year of parts the numbers or identification marks( other than frame serial number) mean nothing, just wondering.....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; March 28th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:26 AM

It seems like most American made cars in the 50's lack available manufacturing data. I had a 55 T-bird that I had certified by FIVA that was the same way, no way to match serial numbers on the major components. The engine did not even have a number. It took some convincing. I had to get the technical chairman of the International T-Bird Club on the phone with the inspector before he would believe there was an engine with no serial number. He was new to the U.S. By now he has probably come across this issue many times.

At some point they just have to believe you. They also require the ownership history, so they could check with previous owners (if they are still around). So for American cars, you could get away with having an engine not original to the car, but it would still need to be a rocket 324 with a Rochester four barrel carburetor.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Phantom Phixer

Smile Olds parts ID

The key to " numbers matching " a '54 would be in the casting numbers on the various cast or forged parts.
A key to these numbers can be found on this link http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofblk.htm...%20the%20Block
also try this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=47584

Last edited by Charlie Jones; May 14th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.