The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Mystery Decal in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2019, 05:59 PM

Mystery Decal in Trunk

I've recently fixed a bunch of rust and repainted (black/aqua spatter) my 1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible and, upon admiring my handiwork, I noticed a rectangular outline about 1.75" wide and 2.5" tall (approximate dimensions) positioned on a slight diagonal on the inner driver side fender wall of trunk. So, I peeled back the paint and only found what looks like remains of a a thick paper sticker. I sanded that, repainted but, the rectangle is still visible to my eye albeit an obscure location.

Does anyone have any idea what this decal could have been?

I already have the Spare Tire and Jacking instructions on the deck lid. Those are much larger. Its not an anti spin label either. That's also larger. This decal looks to have been width of an engine code decal but, not the same height (or length).

I've already found one dealer decal where there could (or should) have been a tire pressure decal in the glovebox. So, its not impossible that it was a dealer decal but, given the sloppy installation, I'm thinking it possibly was something slapped on at the factory.
Old March 31st, 2019, 08:45 PM

That may be a part number sticker for a replacement quarter panel.
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:40 AM

I bet you are right. The story of my car is that my Dad is the second owner before he sold it to me. The first owner was the dealership owner who bought the car for his teenage daughter to drive. She allegedly bumped and banged it a lot (so did my sisters when they drove it as teenage/early 20's).

So, true the timeframe, it was full of bondo and a few different variations of red paint from Flame, to Matador, to a tomato color before my Dad decided to have the whole car bead blasted, bondo replaced with steel, and repainted. The quarter panel looks to have been replaced looking at the inside of the fender and that the wheel-well trim doesn't exactly fit up right.

Now, if that little outline bothers me too much, I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by SanTan Devil; May 13th, 2019 at 02:12 PM.