The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My "Old" Olds!

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2018 | 08:35 PM

My "Old" Olds!

Hello All!

Been on the site for a few months, and finally getting around to posting my pics and telling my story.

I purchased my 1971 Cutlass 442 in 1986. I purchased it from my cousin, who had purchased it from the original owner. Paid $500 bucks for it back in the day.

For anyone that is from the Bay Area here in CA., the original owner was a member of the prominent Crocker Family that was involved in the railroad business way back, then started Crocker Bank, which was then sold off to Wells Fargo many years ago. My uncle was a caretaker of one of their properties and when the original owner decided to sell the car, my cousin purchased it. He drove it for a few years, got hit by a corvette, which is why the passenger side fender is banged up.

The car is pretty much original, except for a few changes that were made several years ago. It has the original 455 and turbo 400. The intake manifold and carb were changed to an Edelbrock and Holly double-pumper. I still have the original manifold and Quadrajet, which I will be re-installing once I get to restoring the car. I also have the original air cleaner which will also be cleaned up and re-instated in the future

It is color code 68-Sable Brown with the white vinyl top and white interior and center console. As you can see from the pictures, it's more of a rust brown, than Sable brown. It was stored in the foggy town of Daly City for the last 25 years, which had done a number on the paint and metal. It does have power disk brakes, power steering, power windows, rear window defroster (embedded heater elements in the glass). It also has the radio antenna embedded in the front glass also. I joke with my friends that this was a true "Banker" car back in the day...non-assuming with the brown paint/vinyl top and hubcaps, but would light them up in a minute.

I recently had the car towed from the Bay Area to Orange County to start getting it in running order, then in the next year or so, start breaking it down for restoration. It needs a ton of work, and I'll spend more on it that what it will be worth once it is done, but I figure you can't put a price tag on great memories. This was my first car, so many great times were had in this old jalopy that I can no way part with her. I figure I'll have it done by the time my daughter is ready to drive....she's 10 yo now. )

This site has been great for information and will definitely be reaching out to some of ya as I start looking for advice/information/parts...etc. Lots of knowledge to be had here for sure.

Old July 16th, 2018 | 06:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, and it still has the flat hood.
Old July 16th, 2018 | 06:57 AM

Thank you much!
Old July 16th, 2018 | 07:30 AM

Great project. Many wish they could find their first car again, I know I would. Good attitude ! Costing more to restore than it will be worth is quite possible.
Welcome !
Old July 16th, 2018 | 09:19 AM

There's a lot of good parts on craigslist for your car. I scan the Inland Empire section which covers a wide area. Good luck, keep us updated on your restoration.
Old July 16th, 2018 | 09:34 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Great project. Many wish they could find their first car again, I know I would. Good attitude ! Costing more to restore than it will be worth is quite possible.
Welcome !
Thanks....I came really close to selling the car about 5 years ago....like really close, but my heart told me otherwise. Had it posted for sale on Craigslist and had some interest in it, but decided at the last minute I would regret selling it. So glad I decided to keep it!
Old July 16th, 2018 | 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by shiftbyear
There's a lot of good parts on craigslist for your car. I scan the Inland Empire section which covers a wide area. Good luck, keep us updated on your restoration.
I agree....I'm probably scanning craigslist 2-3 times a week (OC, LA and IE). Recently picked up a full set of 15x7 SSIII rims from a 1973 Cutlass with trim rings and center caps still in really great shape. I'll definitely keep everyone posted once I start breaking her down for the restoration.
Old July 16th, 2018 | 03:58 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your project... Maybe your daughter would like to help you restore the vehicle... Nothing like a little Father/Daughter bonding over a Classic Oldsmobile...
Old July 16th, 2018 | 05:54 PM

I like the originality of your car. flat hood, two spoke steering wheel, no sport mirrors and hubcaps. If you were to take it to an Oldsmobile show, it would stand out from the crowd because of those things. btw, if you change the wheels, keep the original ones as they should be the 14x7 wheels. ~BOB
Old July 17th, 2018 | 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the group... Good luck with your project... Maybe your daughter would like to help you restore the vehicle... Nothing like a little Father/Daughter bonding over a Classic Oldsmobile...
That's the plan. My little girl hasn't shown much interest yet in helping out her old man with getting this car going. Hoping in time.....she'll come around. Would love to pass it on to her once I've moved on to greener pastures.
Old July 17th, 2018 | 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
I like the originality of your car. flat hood, two spoke steering wheel, no sport mirrors and hubcaps. If you were to take it to an Oldsmobile show, it would stand out from the crowd because of those things. btw, if you change the wheels, keep the original ones as they should be the 14x7 wheels. ~BOB
For the longest time, I was determined to keep the car 100% stock original, but Olds did a great job with the W-25 hood and SSII/III wheels that i just gotta get them put on the car. To your point, I do intend in keeping the rims/hubcaps, and I also intend on getting the original hood prepped and painted too....just in case I decide to go original again down the road. But you are right, it is a pretty unique car. I don't see that color combo a whole lot.

Last edited by 442NV; July 18th, 2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old July 17th, 2018 | 06:57 PM

Great to see another 442 being restored, especially a '71 model. Always thought the standard center hood stripe really complimented the car. A local in NJ had a brand new '71 442 in Sable Brown with gold stripes. A very unusual and sharp color then and now. It had SS-1 wheels and a Sienna interior.

A suggestion would be to have the standard hood painted with the center stripe to see if you like it instead of going straight to a W-25 hood. If I can find a good donor car to rebuild my brother's 442, I plan on keeping the standard hood and possibly making the louvers functional. I understand the W-25 hood was optional, but always thought Oldsmobile should had made the louvers functional at least on the 442. Look forward to seeing the restoration of your 442.