The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My little piece of US of A

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2019, 03:53 AM

My little piece of US of A

Hi guys, I'm Youri, 27, proud owner of a 1964 Cutlass convertible.

Although my name sounds russian, i'm from France, close to Bordeaux precisely .

Dreaming about amercian classic cars since i'm...young I've looked for a 70's pick up for a while untill i found this cutlass, for sale at 20 km (sorry, i don't speak miles) from home...

I was only curious and i finally bought it... With my 2 sportsters, they are the apples of my eyes, my little pieces of USA.

The last owner did a frame off restauration (big respect for him, it's a big deal here...), the 330 is bored, equipped with edelbrock carb and intake, KN filter, stainless steel Magnaflow exhaust. It has about 300 HP now. Black Cragar rims make a nice contrast with cream body colour, as the hood (not sure about this traduction) does.

The inside is stock except water temp and oil pressure SW greenline gauge to keep and eyes on the engine health.

Thanks in advance for your welcome and sorry for my english...

Old May 18th, 2019, 05:58 AM
72 Olds CS

Nice car Youri, welcome to classic olds
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on the Cutlass.
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Congrats on your 64 Cutlass purchase...
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:53 PM

Youri, your English is better than my French and you've got one cool Oldsmobile.
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:53 PM

A bit of American History.. Congrats and welcome!!
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:57 PM

Nice car Youri, I have a white 64 two door post car. They have their own unique look.
Old May 18th, 2019, 11:00 PM
Olds Omega

Hi and welcome from Austria!

I was just recently for a wine tasting tour in the Region of Bordeaux! Great landscape and of course very tasty wines!
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:38 AM

Thank you all !

I'm surprised to see forumers from the old continent! It surely means that i'm at the right place!

I'm sure you guys will can help me with the maintenance of this piece of art. Hopefully I know that a lots of parts are common with other GM models.

As i drive it a lot more than the previous owner, some "problems" appear and need to be fixed => let's moove to the appropriate section!

@exotec i've never been to Austria...it should be a nice place too!
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:52 AM

Just for information: here in France the title is called "carte grise" (grey card) and each new owner of a vehicle have to make a new one to put his name into it.

You have to pay a tax for it (there's always one...), based on the administrative power of the vehicle.

The price for one taxable horsepower is determined by region, here in aquitaine (south west France), it's 42€ per taxable horsepower and the olds has 31.

Hopefully, for an old vehicle (10 years or more), the total amount is divided by 2

So I had to pay: 652€ (approx 730 USD) for it.

How is it in the US? Depends on the state?
Old May 19th, 2019, 10:32 AM

Hi Youri, you guessed correctly. Each state in the US has it's own method for taxing new purchases of cars (new and old vehicles, between private sellers and buyers, as well as Dealer sales), in addition to Registration (licensing) of the vehicle for driving on public roads. In my state, Colorado, they USED to charge interest/tax for a used car between private seller/buyer based on what the homemade Bill of Sale says was exchanged for the car. Many times, the seller would take, say $3000, for the car, but write up a B.o.S. for $150. This would save the buyer a few hundred in tax. However, the state finally changed that formula a few years ago. Now the state charges according to the current NADA Blue Book price, whether the car runs or not. This is almost always a losing proposition for Project cars, but can be VERY good on a fully restored vehicle.

You have a sharp ride!
Old May 19th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice car Youri, especially since it's a convertible. I'm impressed that a young fellow like you has taken to the classic car market; and with an Oldsmobile no less.

Hahaha, you should move to Canada. I paid $86 for my registration (pink card - same as grey card) on my 72 Cutlass, plus if I sell it there's no sales tax on it. It's also a permanent card and never needs to be renewed unless change of owners. I have 2 tags (license plates) for the car. One is an Antique Auto plate, the other is a YOM (Year of Manufacture). Both are registered to the car. I can drive with either and the police will only pull me over if they want to look at the car or don't know what a YOM plate is for.

Your English is very good. Do you use a feature like Google Translate or are you just that good with languages?
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:15 PM

@BackInTheGame : ok, thanks for the explanations!

The old system in Colorado was the same in Western Autralia, where I bought a van ten years ago. The deal was concluded for 2000 AUD and the owner writed 500 bucks to lower taxes i had to pay. Thanks for the compliment on the car! An expression that i like so much!

@Allan R : i think so! Coupes look more aggressives but in south west France, convertibles are so enjoyable!
With warm weather and the windows down, it's like a magic carpet ride (with a V8) !!

Maybe you guys don't know what i'm talking about but when i'm driving this car, i'm the actor of my own amercian moovie. Even for a 10km drive , i'm on a roadtrip in the US...Makes me dreaming and traveling...in another continent and in the past...It's a kind of magic! (wow, so much good music references!)

To be honest with you, i'm a little bit scared about my abilities to maintain this car...parts availability, costs, lots of thing to learn, not a big community around here (even though i found some nice guys around Bayonne (There's also a Bayonne in the US!) which have an association called "Amercian Crazy Cars". The president's got a Cutlass from the 70's).

But anyway, i'll do my best!

My grey card is so old that there's 3 or 4 informations on it (compare to 20-25 on modern cars). I have no seat belt, which are mandatory here. When police asked for them, i just said that they didn't exist int the US back in the days "Ok sir, have a good day!" Hahaha

Thanks for the compliment on my english...in reality, i have an horrible french accent!

No i'm joking, thanks to a 6 month road trip in Australia and studies in english. But I'm loosing it, this is another issue this forum will help for ! I'm trying to take hollidays in english speaking countries...one day for sur in Canada! In the US one day too, i have to buy a mega ship first, to bring back everything that i'll buy there...I guess it will be easier to live there
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the compliment on my english...in reality, i have an horrible french accent!
Hahahaha, I have visions of you sounding like Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers in The Pink Panther)