The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My 55 Olds 98 Holiday

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2018, 02:10 PM

My 55 Olds 98 Holiday

Hello fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts. I am new to the forum but not new to my car. So long story short, I bought this car 2 years ago and took it to a shop to see about getting my car to a custom shop to do some suspension work as well as a little body work and fresh paint. A year and a half later my car still sat in pieces and practically abandoned while other cars were getting finished so I decided to bring her home and do the work myself. I was able to complete the suspension today. Cleaned the gas tank and changed the oil and started her up after a couple of years. It was nice to hear my car running again. So I did notice that I have a gas leak coming from the fuel line so I checked it and it seems to have a hose connecting the lines together which is no good so I'll have to replace my fuel line. I also noticed behind the axle, the passenger brake like is pinched (crushed) so it looks like I'll be replacing that part of the brake line. I'll post more pics, but in the car's current state there really is not much to show. Interior seems to be original but will need some cleaning and eventually re-doing. Anyways glad to be here.

​​​​​​
Old November 19th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Looks like its in really good shape, welcome to the site.
Old November 19th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Thank you.. The car is pretty much 95% rust free. Just a little surface rust which I have took all the way to the metal and treated. Just need to fix the small issues before taking on the test of the work.
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:08 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Welcome. You have a very nice car. I feel your pain about waiting and waiting I had to rescue my '56 from a transmission shop a few years ago after eight months of getting nothing done. Very frustrating.

Check out the Vintage Olds Forum. Lots of mid fifties expertise hanging out over there.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:02 AM

Welcome to the site. Definitely a cool car!

That's a bummer that the shop you had it at didn't do any work. Hopefully you aren't still fighting them about money you paid for services never rendered. We're glad you rescued her.
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Welcome aboard, Good looking 55 there. and as others have said drop on down to the vintage forum where most of the mid fifties guys hang, good information can be had there.

Maybe you have noticed that your gas gauge will not work. That is because you have a rubber section in your gas line is stopping the ground. On this model Oldsmobile the gas gauge ground is attached to the fuel line near the tank by a clamp. This clamp is a source of many problems with fuel gauges in this era Oldsmobile's and most after a lot of grief just attach it to the frame and be done with it..... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Welcome to the site. You appear to have a good foundation for a very nice car. Lots of places make promises about what they will do and then deliver nothing. Doing your own work can keep things moving. Good luck.
Old November 21st, 2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard, Good looking 55 there. and as others have said drop on down to the vintage forum where most of the mid fifties guys hang, good information can be had there.

Maybe you have noticed that your gas gauge will not work. That is because you have a rubber section in your gas line is stopping the ground. On this model Oldsmobile the gas gauge ground is attached to the fuel line near the tank by a clamp. This clamp is a source of many problems with fuel gauges in this era Oldsmobile's and most after a lot of grief just attach it to the frame and be done with it..... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Thank you Ted for that info and you are absolutely correct! My gas gauge goes all the way up when I turn the car on so it does not giving me the correct gas reading.
Old November 21st, 2018, 05:37 PM

Thank you everyone. I am bummed that my car turned out this way, but I am excited about putting some work in this ole girl and have her back on the road.