The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Cheesehead with a Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:44 PM

Cheesehead with a Cutlass

Hi Folks, Just a couple days registered with CO and I am starting to fall in love with it. Well, last year my father passed away and from that I have his 70 Cutlass. Ohh what memories of Dad and his Black Beauty when I was just a young boy. I'm sure many of you know what I mean. Anyway, I am excited to get this back on the road as he had it sitting for about 8 years in the garage. Of course the mice made it their winter retreat and weren't potty trained one bit. At this point I don't have the means to restore it to showroom condition but I am eager to get things tuned up, running smooth, smelling clean and making it road worthy again. I know that alone would make dad proud. Perhaps one day I will take it to the next level. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140707_232755.jpg (45.9 KB, 65 views)
20140707_232849.jpg (47.8 KB, 53 views)
20140707_232906.jpg (48.3 KB, 55 views)
20140707_232940.jpg (45.4 KB, 55 views)
20140707_233134.jpg (50.4 KB, 53 views)
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:24 AM

Welcome to the forum , your Olds looks in good shape . Tuneup and fluid change (all fluids) check the brake lines and replace cracked flex lines and gas lines. Drain the old gas out of the tank , put new gas in and see how it runs. It's gona be a nice tribute to your father.
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:20 AM

Nice looking car ! Good luck on getting it back on the road .
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the car seems to be very solid and in terrific shape and needs mostly cosmetics to be a great driver. As above stated, just pick a starting point and go from there. First get the old gas out of it, inspect /replace all the items needed to get the car running. Once it's running, work on the safety items needed to get it road worthy. Then work on the cosmetics. Since it's not a primary car for you, it can be worked on and driven as much as you desire.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Thanks all for the welcome, it's encouraging to hear! Indeed need to have a starting point, probably start with draining the fuel. I guess right now is to air it out (mouse pee smell). I will indeed search and post in the appropriate forum to help guide me through this bitter sweet journey.
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Looks like a solid car. Like the guys said earlier just pick a starting point. My Grandpas sat in a barn for about 15 years before I could start working on it. I started with just getting it running, then worked on the brakes and safety items. Now it runs great and because it's not my daily driver I could work on it as time permits.
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:53 AM

mickyb, I'm in your neck of the woods. PM me if you need anything or just want to throw back some beverages and talk Olds - Dave
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Welcome aboard
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:05 PM

Thanks Kirk. You're right, time is on my side as I can work on it when I can. Just eager to get it going again for now. The body is pretty solid, some bumps and bruises. Crager mags are flaking and I have no clue where the adapter is for the locking lugs. Flat spots on tires. Front driver seat is ugly and the carpet needs to be replaced along with some interior accessories. The brakes weren't working when I pushed it out the garage. The oil dipstick looked like it came right out of a quart of oil. The frame appears to have some surface rust, hopefully it's not too deep. Carb probably should be cleaned at the very least. Along with the usually checks and lubricants needed before starting. I believe this is the orig. color, from as long as I could remember. This is also called the Holiday model(Non pillar), correct?
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
mickyb, I'm in your neck of the woods. PM me if you need anything or just want to throw back some beverages and talk Olds - Dave
Thanks Cutlass Freak, I will certainly keep your offer in mind.
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

Thanks Jamesbro...Sweet looking 442 you have or is that the one that you list as gone?
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome. Sounds and looks like a great project.
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Ces

Welcome to CO. I'm new here, myself. What an awesome story your car has.
Being your fathers, and all. I trust it will be very rewarding to get her back towards her original condition and down the road for some new memories.
All the best with it, a true labor of love!
Old July 9th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks Ces, Welcome to CO as well. This forum appears to have a plethora of knowledge that we both can benefit from and hopefully share our experiences with others as well.
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Ces

Originally Posted by mickyb
Thanks Ces, Welcome to CO as well. This forum appears to have a plethora of knowledge that we both can benefit from and hopefully share our experiences with others as well.
Well said!