The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Master Cylinder cap gasket help

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM

Master Cylinder cap gasket help

Guys

I have a 67 Cutlas Supreme 330 engine.
Took off Brake Master Cylinder Cap.Silicone or rubber gasket seemed deformed and no good.Autozone=no Oreilly=no=Advanced Auto parts=no Wrong size.
Where can I get a gasket for this? I bought one from Ebay and it was the wrong fit as well.Are there any Pro's who know?
PLEASE AND THANKS!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MudEye
Guys

I have a 67 Cutlas Supreme 330 engine.
Took off Brake Master Cylinder Cap.Silicone or rubber gasket seemed deformed and no good.Autozone=no Oreilly=no=Advanced Auto parts=no Wrong size.
Where can I get a gasket for this? I bought one from Ebay and it was the wrong fit as well.Are there any Pro's who know?
PLEASE AND THANKS!
When you say deformed....By any chance was it sort of hanging down into the reservoir a LOT? Can push it up, but it won't stay there? If yes I had exactly the same problem with my 72 MC. I ended up buying a new MC. If you want to stay with the OEM part check with one of these guys:
2blu442, Oldspackrat, jensenracing77, or J-(Chicago) One of them will probably have the MC part you need. You could also check these guys on line: http://www.columbiaerd.com/automotive.html#chassis
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM

I have seen some of these in the Dorman "HELP!" parts section of Oreillys an AZ. They are a generic size, but maybe you will be lucky.

If you order one that is car-specific, a good fit will be hit or miss unless the car has its original MC, which would be a rare case.

BTW, WELCOME to the site!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Take a look at this on ebay. I DO NOT KNOW if it is the right one, but maybe you could ask the seller http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Moroso-44013-...item4aa790e1c0
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Perhaps a photo would be helpful.

There is no way to know exactly what is wrong or what part you have without seeing it.
Most master cylinder cover gaskets are available on the HELP! rack, but it's hard to see more without seeing yours.

The "hanging down" bit is not a defect or a problem - the gasket contains an integral bellows that moves down as brake fluid is depleted and can be pushed up again when fluid if replenished.

- Eric
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:47 AM
Administrator

That master cylinder was used on a number a Gm cars for a number of years. Look at Pontiac, Buick, or Chevrolet.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Brake Master Cylinder Diaphragm

Originally Posted by Allan R
When you say deformed....By any chance was it sort of hanging down into the reservoir a LOT? Can push it up, but it won't stay there? If yes I had exactly the same problem with my 72 MC. I ended up buying a new MC. If you want to stay with the OEM part check with one of these guys:
2blu442, Oldspackrat, jensenracing77, or J-(Chicago) One of them will probably have the MC part you need. You could also check these guys on line: http://www.columbiaerd.com/automotive.html#chassis
Hey Allan That's exactly right.It was hanging down and all.But why did you have to buy a new M.C? Just curious. Also Thanks for the other link on ebay.I'm checking that Diaphragm now.My brake cylinder cap(the chrome one) looks kind of rusty on the edges and even dented a bit on some parts of it.Will the new Diaphragm do the job or should I replace both? Anyone? Thanks Al
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MudEye
But why did you have to buy a new M.C? Just curious. Will the new Diaphragm do the job or should I replace both?
I bought a new MC because the old one gave up after 39 years. Blew out the rear seal and was leaking all over the brake booster. Happened on the highway going to a car show. Lucky I still had brakes when I got there. It was actually waaay cheaper to buy a new MC than to have the old one rebuilt. My new one isn't exactly the same as the old one, but it sure works better

The new diaphragm will do the job. I would just clean up the old top and have it plated or powdercoated a color you like. Painting it will probably not last, but you can try that too. There's new anodized paint (rattle cans) that give a nice look. Hope everything works out well for you.