The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Lets Party?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2014, 09:17 AM

Smile Lets Party?

But not really.

Just stopping in to introduce myself. I'm a nineteen year old college student majoring in Aerospace concentrating in flight dispatch for air traffic control. Extreme car enthusiast and currently purshased my first Olds, being a 1964 Fiesta Wagon, It's the 9 seater with the 394cu.

I bought this car running and driving for $3,200 and it came with every panel and trim piece. The car has 109,000 original miles, the original transister radio works, the power back glass works, and even the wipers work fine. The body is undamaged however, has extensive surface rust and the interior looks like something out of a horror movie. I have a pretty long list of small projects I'm on the brink of tackling.

I said the car USED to run fine, ever since I got it home I've been having engine idling issues which I assume is the carb being gunked up from bad gas. Long story short, I have $4k to throw into a reliable engine/drivetrain.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as picking an engine out, I would greatly appreciate it, My sights are set on an engine that...

-Cost less than $2500 (Complete)
-Push similar HP figures (375+ range)
-Must be carburated
-Must be a relatively easy swap (Shop charges me 65$/hour)
-Not impossible to find
-Relatively cheap replacement parts
-Broad aftermarket

If you know of any engines that may work perfect for my particular project, please let me know! I have tons of questions, and I'm extremely excited about restoring my wagon, peace!

Last edited by 64Fiesta; March 17th, 2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM

A glimpse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds.jpg (72.8 KB, 49 views)
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Hi and welcome. If I understand correctly, your current engine has no major problems. If that is the case then it would probably be more cost effective to get the original engine working right. That may not sound as appealing as swapping it out, but that engine could sound just as good as anything else, and give you more budget for body work.
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:59 AM

Sorry there are no easy swaps with the limitations you have listed. The 394 is a great strong engine but it is not easily adapted to anything but something less than what you want that being a 371 or 324 olds, just not enough HP for your wants. To convert to a later Olds motor of equal or more HP requires a very expensive transmission adapter or better yet a later transmission to match your new engine and quite a bit of adapting to make that all work. To adapt a Chevy motor (You have sorta danced around this without saying the word Chevy) will cost as much in the long run and unless you go with a LS1 or LS2 for your HP needs you are going over your cost limitations, you just can't get there from here.

Your best bet would to throw your money into getting that 394 up and running they are great engines but fairly expensive for parts. The down side of this is you will still have the Slim Jim transmission behind that great engine and they are not my favorite of transmissions, others have done OK with them but me not so much. Just my rambling opinions....Tedd
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Welcome to Classic Olds, in my opinion I would tackle the fuel lines and replace the fuel pump with a rebuilt that can handle ethenal and send the carb out for a rebuild. That's alot cheaper that trying to replace the drivetrain.
Nice car by the way
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Oldsdruid

Get yourself the 5-volume 1964 Oldsmobile factory service manual set and there's probably not much an intelligent young guy can't handle on this Fiesta wagon.

If that 394 isn't using excessive oil, a good tuneup (plugs, points/condenser, air & fuel filters, maybe spark plug wires) will do wonders. A carb rebuild isn't difficult on these cars either.

Fiesta-only parts may be a challenge to find but some of it is shared with the other 61-64 B-body wagons- not that any of them are common either.
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome to ClassicOlds!

Your car looks pretty decent, and I think you are underestimating the cost of an engine swap.....AND underestimating the power of the original 394.....! In my opinion, it would take mucho bucks for a proper engine swap to move that lead-sled as fast as you want it (375 HP), especially on today's crap unleaded fuel....be prepared to be on the search for decent gas!! (And it ain't cheap!)

I would spend the money repairing/replacing original engine parts, such as fuel, carb., etc., and work from there. Is this a 2bbl or 4bbl engine?? High compression, or Low?

I had a '63 98 Convertible with 394, and it was a bear; also had a '63 Dynamic 88 Convertible with Low Compression 394, and it was NO slouch!

Never had any transmission problems with either one.....but, of course, that was many years ago!
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome, you have an uphill climb with that budget and having others do the work. I agree with the others and you need to try and get that engine running. Your right it could have been gunked up with old gas.
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:46 PM
The Noob Messiah

Welcome aboard.....Enjoy the quest see IMO the quest, the ups and downs, the good the bad the ugly is all great experience. You cannot rush that.

I love the uncommon and Sir you have The Uncommon Car right there and VERY cool indeed.
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Will a rebuilt block be just as reliable down the road as a swapped long block? I'm heavily in favor of rebuilding my original engine rather than paying $$$ for a shop, however I plan on this wagon being roadworthy enough for 300 mile trips.

It seems a good route for now would just be trying to get it running. I'm glad your opinions swung mine the other way, jumping into an engine swap on a college budget is a pretty stupid thing to do.

The engine will fire, but die once it starts. I can keep it alive by revving it pretty hard, but once RPM's find idle the engine quits. I replaced the fuel line last week, and the thermostat. I guess I'll try to knock out a carb rebuild this week?
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM

There is no reason a good rebuild whether long or short should limit your range of travel. I personally would do a long block just because of the mileage on your engine, the top end is probably ready for a freshen up but once done well you can drive it like it was new. 300 mile trip is a piece of cake. I'm looking at a 2500 - 3000 mile trip with my car and it's 9 years older than yours.

Learn from your experience with it but mostly have fun with your car it is a very unique vehicle and will stand out anywhere ....Tedd