The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

what to do....

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM

what to do....

Hello 1st and foremost...I am brand new to this kind of car forum as I have been over seas for the last 24 years... I just today came across 2 1957 2 door Super 88 models and a 4 door... one of the 2 doors has sat since 67...the 4 door since 67...the other one has sat since 68...I spoke to the 2nd owner of all 3 of these... he told me he bought them up in Montana for 500 a piece and wants 10 grand now for all 3 of them...is this a good price to pay...all have sat in open weather... all trim is present as is what he says are the original motors still in them...any and all thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated .
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Welcome, it depends on your skill level and wallet. It takes a lot to resurrect something that's been sitting since 67 or 68.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by glennmike
I am brand new to this kind of car forum as I have been over seas for the last 24 years
Why should this have stopped you? As I understand it, they have internet all over the world.

In fact, there are a fair number of people on here from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and others. Being "overseas" doesn't stop them.

As far as answering your question. $10,000 for three '50s-era Oldsmobiles might be reasonable, but do you want to buy all three? Will he sell them separately? It's hard to say a whole lot about value with seeing some photos and getting a better idea of condition. Your "all have sat in open weather" comment is ominous. For how long? You say they have "sat" since the late '60s. Have they been outside the whole time? Do any of them run?

Last edited by jaunty75; March 12th, 2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

...is this a good price to pay...all have sat in open weather...
I sincerely doubt it. They sound like scrap metal.

Pictures would be helpful.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Why should this have stopped you? As I understand it, they have internet all over the world.

In fact, there are a fair number of people on here from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and others. Being "overseas" doesn't stop them.
I have been led to believe that, in this context, "overseas" means "in prison."

- Eric
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:16 AM

I would use the 10 G's for a pretty nice example, driving 57 2dr and leave those alone unless you really want a serious project and lots of xtra parts. I dont think 10 g's are any where near what should be paid for all 3, it should be much less.
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I have been led to believe that, in this context, "overseas" means "in prison."
Ah, forgive my ignorance. You learn something new every day.
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hey, I could be wrong...

- Eric
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:03 PM

As far as answering your question. $10,000 for three '50s-era Oldsmobiles might be reasonable, but do you want to buy all three? Will he sell them separately? It's hard to say a whole lot about value with seeing some photos and getting a better idea of condition. Your "all have sat in open weather" comment is ominous. For how long? You say they have "sat" since the late '60s. Have they been outside the whole time? Do any of them run?
Why would this have stopped me???well for starters I was as said over seas and until the other day never knew what a super 88 was ...so I never had a need to come to this site....
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM

Ah, forgive my ignorance. You learn something new every day.
....lol...really????? Overseas means just that...OVER SEAS...as in stationed over seas...hence OVER SEAS....
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:13 PM

For you more serious people who took the time to give me decent answers.... Ill respond by saying that I have planned a get together with the current owner of these cars and go more i depth ...such as how does the underside look...floor panels...trunk... condition of Motor... how much is missing....I know that all rubber is gonna need to be replaced... as far as body goes...they all 3 looked to be in outstanding shape for being in the elements... I do know that the interior is shot on all of them as mice and rats have done their bidding in them, as far as I could see there was no missing chrome on any of them as well as glass was all there... we opened them all up and the doors didnt sag at all and closed like they were new..... I have been building cars since I was knee high to a grasshopper and have wanted an old school car since getting back to the states from being OVER SEAS.... as in Germany !!!!
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:17 PM

Prison in Germany?
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

$10,000 for three cars with wrecked interiors, not running, that have been in the weather for 45 years seems absolutely outrageous to me, as others have said.

Without detailed pictures, it's impossible to say more.

Glad you finally got out... of Germany.

- Eric
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:27 AM

and until the other day never knew what a super 88 was
You didn't say this the first time. You simply said you were "overseas" while saying nothing about being unfamiliar with Oldsmobiles. Had you said that as well, the meaning of your post would have been different. My comment was based on your original post, and it is still valid based on that.
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO glennmike. I am glad that you are interested in Oldsmobiles and that you came to our site, we all are, regardless of our sense of humor or understanding of your meaning. I would seriously consider paying 10 grand for three cars as described. As Oldsmaniac mentioned, you could find a good driver for that price. It seems that the owner wants to unload all three together, perhaps someone recommended that to him commenting in an offhand way that two could be parts cars for the third and that a real car nut would jump on it. Or perhaps his evaluation of what he has in that field is simply and inflated observation. If you could get some photos, and a better description of all three we could give you some more accurate thoughts as to their worth. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:04 AM

welcome to Classic olds, and welcome to jaunty75, resident mouthpiece. the odd time he actually has good info but usually just types before thinking. diarrhea keyboard.
without pics the cars sound like worth from one to two grand each, except the fourdoor, 500 to 1000 max
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:15 AM

I'd take that $10K and look for something in real good condition that is a driver, then spend your money re-chroming/reupholstering, rebuilding while you drive it since that will all need to be done anyway. At least you'd have a good base to start with. IMO.

That is unless you want to build 3 cars which may still need parts for all the items that can't or not feasibly be renewed or repaired.
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:24 AM
KVP

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful here so please stay involved. I don't own a '57. It would be nice if someone who has restored that year Olds could give you some specifics about areas to give special attention when looking these cars over. As previously stated, pictures would be helpful in determining value.
Old March 14th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

Welcome!

Maaaan, for that price, I'd buy a driver that I could enjoy immediately instead of three different projects in different stages of decomposition.
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:28 AM

Ok thanks for the opinions...greatly valued !!! I will be getting with the owner this week to do some further looking into them...will post pics and additional info as I get it/them...many thanks !!!
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If two or three of them have the J2 option (3 x 2 barrel carbs) with the air cleaners intact, that could change everything. It is really impossible to say without pictures but the price seems high for what they are.
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Welcome form the left coast

Be aware, parts for the 57's are a one year only deal. Most small parts and some trim pieces are reproduced as is the glass. But fenders, quarters and the like are not. I would not pay 10K for rust
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:20 AM

As you probably know a full restoration is a very expensive proposition and to do a threesum is beyond my wildest dreams, but just think if only one car was restored how nice it would be to have two parts cars just sitting there to parted and used. Wished I had had any kind of parts car to cannibalise when I did mine. Depending on a lot of factors like if you had runner no rust complete cars you might get 3k for the two door and perhaps 2 for the more door so unless your into parting out and selling it a piece at a time which I think you could make some good money other wise it doesn't pencil out to me.

If 10k is his first price and not firm I would shoot a number that would make a little more sense and see what happens from there, two door 57's are very popular cars and sell well, four doors not so much but gaining in popularity all the time so time is on your side if you can hang on awhile.....Just my rambling thoughts ...Tedd
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Don't waste your time on the posters that have no idea what's it's like to serveoverseas... I'm sure the rest of us knew what you meant. While I have no experience with 57's, I have to agree with some of the other posters on here and go with dropping your 10K on a daily driver... I think you'd get more bang for your buck. And also...thank you for your service. As a fellow vet I know the sacrifices, but I also know it is worth it in the end.