The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Intro and request for help

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Joe, the reason I said 'sort of correct' is he asked about valves got changed instead of referring to valve seats. Ok?
Ah. Sorry, I misinterpreted your previous response.
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Welcome to CO

There are a number of guys in the local area that would go look at a car with you. I am just down the road in Bothell. Good luck with your search. If I come upon anything I will let you know
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:12 AM

thread in 'Cars Wanted' section

Originally Posted by Allan R
Start a thread on this site in the 'Cars Wanted' section and post exactly what you're looking for. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...splay.php?f=15 Someone on the site may have what you want, or be able to network you to a car for sale. There is always risk involved when buying a car - especially at a distance.

Every so often one of the sponsors of this site posts Oldsmobiles for sale. Keep an eye peeled on this too https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=1281173
Would anybody on this thread be willing to look over my "wish list" for a car before I post it over in 'Cars Wanted"? Want to make sure I don't leave out something obvious.

In the meantime, this one is pretty close to what I am looking for:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3389502163.html

I just pinged somebody I found on the Olds Map to see if he know anybody (mechanic or shop) in the area who could look at it. Hopefully I will hear back from him.
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:41 AM

hi all i am new here been a chevy guy all my life dont know any thing about olds but have already learned a lot.thanks for that. i have two questions .first heres why i joined i have a 77 boat i was told had a 455 engine , well i blew it up last year at the lake . started tearing it down got curious checked the numbers and found that i have a350 not a 455 thanks to this site . bought a 455 block no main caps .no problum right ? well internals wont inter change . heres my question will my 350 manifold inter chang i found a long block that is suposed to be 455 havent bought it yet maybe this weekend.if it is 455 will the intake bolt on quiston 2 if not does any one have a 455 intake for sale cheep? sorry so long winded. 1 more question will my 350 fly wheel bolt on to 455 if not any cheep ones on here.
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The intake manifold is one of the few parts that will not bolt on to either the BBO or SBO, because the primary external difference between the two blocks is their width, right where the intake sits.

Cast iron intakes are a dime a dozen, though, and I'm sure you could find someone on here who is not too far away, who will sell or give you one - Not-cleaned-up, they go for about their scrap value.
You do NOT want to ship one of these babies, though, unless you're feeling very wealthy.

The flywheels and flexplates DO interchange between 350 and 455.

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM

chevy man52 thanks

thanks for the answer and any one near kingman az i think i will need a manifold .im going to look at a 455 so i am told but i will have the numbers to tell me what it isnow that i know thanks
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So that you know what you're looking at, I quote myself here:

Originally Posted by MDchanic
When identifying Olds engines, it can be hard to tell the diference between a big block and a small block, because most of the bolt-on parts, including heads, can be interchanged (whether successfully or not), and therefore look very similar to one another. Also, they may have in fact been swapped by some prior owner, leading to confusion.

The only major external part that CANNOT be bolted from one to the other is the intake manifold, so that is a guaranteed way for a newcomer to be able to tell the block type, short of memorizing casting numbers.

Also, by coincidence, these photos illustrate the difference between a divorced choke manifold (the red big block manifold shown) and a hot-air choke manifold (the gold small block manifold shown).

Gold 1970 Small Block Manifold with Hot-Air Choke on Left,
Red 1968 Big Block Manifold with Divorced Choke on Right

- Eric