The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I'm new here

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
CBR

I'm new here

Just bought a '68 Olds Cutlass F-85, has a 455 that I'm told is from a '72. Unfortunately though, it'll be sitting at my moms house till I get back from Iraq. Figured I've got a bit of time to read up on this beauty and get a complete idea of what I want to do with it.

Adding power steering and power brakes is the first on my list. Then I'll most likely put on 4-wheel disc and new suspension. Engine rebuild, etc. The car I bought is in pretty good shape for a project car. It's been sitting for the past 10+ years, but is an Arizona car and has held up well. Body is great, lots of the original rubber pieces, plastic is good. Has a small dent in one of the chrome pieces, and a bit of rust on the L/R quarter panel. All in all, not too bad.

This will be my first rebuild/resto, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. I don't have any pics of the car yet, but I'll post'em when I get'em.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our country
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM

Post some pics when you can. I really like the 68's very good choice. Like Jamesbro said, thanks for your service. We all support you!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
CBR

Thanks guys.

I bought the car last week while I was home visiting. I'm back with my unit now, so I have to wait till my mom has a chance to snap some pics for me. This deployment can't be over fast enough, I'm already itching to start work on the car.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site, congrats on your acquisition and thanks for the service. Lots of vets here understand your situation.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!!! Glad you joined! I had a friend in Kirkuk a few years back - not a pleasant place from the stories he told. You and the troops stay safe... we'll keep ya in our prayers!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Glad to have you aboard and we'll help anyway we can. X2 on your service to our country, be safe
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

belguim 57 oldsmobile

welcome to the forum like to see some pics

greetz from belgium

marc
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM

Welcome Aboard,Look forward to the pictures,and Good Luck with your Tour of Duty.
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM
...should get a life....

Yeh...what they said CBR. You take good care and don't get mixed up with them Aussie boys over there. Welcome to CO.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Welcome to CO and it's good to know that there are some service folks like you on the forum (new and old)! Lots of great threads here to help you plan out a strategy and give creative ideas for your car project, and lots of people willing to help. Thanks for your service and good fortune on your tour.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Trying to remember member

Welcome, and profound thanks for your service! Hope we can keep the fire burning here for you.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CBR

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
CBR

Finally got some time to get some pics, thought I'd share.

R1-25.jpg
R1-24.jpg
R1-23.jpg
R1-22.jpg

R1-20.jpg
R1-19.jpg

I'm not going to Iraq anymore, but I still can't get started on her. I'll be stuck in Georgia for a little while longer before I'll get to go home. Really itching to get started though.
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Oldsdruid

Wow. That's a clean 68- a great start to whatever you have plans for. 68 is my favorite of the 68-72 years. To me, it has the best styling and dare I say it? it just LOOKS like an Oldsmobile.

Check out that standard steering wheel! we never saw them here; the dealers would not order plain-jane stripper Oldsmobiles. AT, PS/PB, AM radio and deluxe steering wheel and trim packages were pretty much standard issue on every Oldsmobile sold thru the dealers in this area. It was very rare to see a Ninety Eight or Toronado with wind-up windows.

Shoudn't be any real problem to put the power steering and brakes on, though not having them is some of your F85's charm. You can get them from many different GM A-body cars and even some later quick-ratio steering boxes will fit. You'll need 455 bracketry to mount the pump and somebody on here will probably have the stuff.

Young'un, looks like you actually live out in the desert. Kinda doubt anywhere in Jawja looks like that, but there's some Jawja boys on here so you won't be totally lacking in local Oldsmobile company. Where you stationed? Benning? Glad you're staying stateside, and I also appreciate your service.
Old December 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Looks like the "Sand Hill" area of Fort Benning to me. Flat as a fritter. Where a Captin is a "Big Dog"

Only there needs to be some big ditches round some where.

It looks like you can see the "fall line " in the back ground. Or of course I could be crazy.

Scrub oaks, rattle snakes and gnats in the summer.
Old December 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
CBR

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Shoudn't be any real problem to put the power steering and brakes on, though not having them is some of your F85's charm. You can get them from many different GM A-body cars and even some later quick-ratio steering boxes will fit. You'll need 455 bracketry to mount the pump and somebody on here will probably have the stuff.

Young'un, looks like you actually live out in the desert. Kinda doubt anywhere in Jawja looks like that, but there's some Jawja boys on here so you won't be totally lacking in local Oldsmobile company. Where you stationed? Benning? Glad you're staying stateside, and I also appreciate your service.
I may hold off on power steering for now, but power brakes are a must. The drums are in terrible shape, only part of the car that is, so I'll probably put it in when I install disc brakes(also a must).

The car is at my moms place in Tucson, Az, which is where the pictures were taken. I'll be going back there once I've separated from the Army. As of right now though, I'm stationed at Ft. Stewart.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Looks like the "Sand Hill" area of Fort Benning to me. Flat as a fritter. Where a Captin is a "Big Dog"

Only there needs to be some big ditches round some where.

It looks like you can see the "fall line " in the back ground. Or of course I could be crazy.

Scrub oaks, rattle snakes and gnats in the summer.
Oh hell no! I left Sand Hill years ago and don't ever plan on going back!

Last edited by CBR; December 27th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:35 AM

Looks like you have a nice project there. Its nice to see someone else from Tucson is on here.
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM

"hell no! I left Sand Hill years ago and don't ever plan on going back!

Well so much for my Geography knowledge I don't think he liked the gnats
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Trying to remember member

Post coupes rule!!