The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Howdy

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Howdy

I spent most of yesterday lurking. Catching up on a good years worth of your guys projects, very motivating.
Anyway, I go to pick up my '69 Toronado in about 4 hours. She's gonna need a lot of TLC and I'm gonna need all the motivation I can get .
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Past Administrator

Motivation.....we have. And we don't mind sharing. Congrats on your acquisition and welcome to CO!
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Thanks! I think I found a pretty good deal. I saw the ad for it the first day it was up on Craigs List. Called the kid, he lives about 35 miles away, so the girl friend an I went an looked at it. It was all pretty much down hill from there =) $350 for the car and the $150 it's gonna cost me to have it towed home. Very excited.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ZipTie
Thanks! I think I found a pretty good deal. I saw the ad for it the first day it was up on Craigs List. Called the kid, he lives about 35 miles away, so the girl friend an I went an looked at it. It was all pretty much down hill from there =) $350 for the car and the $150 it's gonna cost me to have it towed home. Very excited.
haha...that's cool! Congrats and good luck. I got my Toro in CA as well. It was up in Ridgecrest and the girl drove it down to LA for me to pick up. It was kinda fun actually...drove all night across the desert to AZ to her new home.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Driving her home musta been a blast. This is the first project car I've bought. I've done a lot of tuning on my daily drivers, but never anything this big.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ZipTie
Driving her home musta been a blast. This is the first project car I've bought. I've done a lot of tuning on my daily drivers, but never anything this big.
It WAS a lot of fun...it drives so well, I was very impressed.

You'll be fine...just take your time. Good thing is there are a lot of parts available for your car. Sad thing is cars like mine from the 80's are harder to find parts for...no one makes any reproductions yet. Soon hopefully!
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Good thing is there are a lot of parts available for your car.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Since when? There's some repro stuff for the 66-67 cars, but weatherstrip, a few other rubber pieces, and scripts are all there is for 69. It's pricey NOS or scarce good used, and even NOS was reasonable till a couple years ago when the dollar tanked against European currencies and seems like every 67-70 Toronado part on ebay went to Switzerland.

I count myself lucky I was able to stockpile a stash of parts years ago when I restored my 69. The stuff is 1) no longer out there and 2) expensive when it's found, which I don't understand as the 69 is probably the least popular of the 1st gen cars. At least being in the West you'll have access to good bright trim and sheetmetal if needed.

When you get the car in hand we'll tell you some stuff to look for.

www.toronado.org TOA is visiting with the Riviera Owners association for their Nationals up in NorCal this year if you can get the car up to a road trip.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 25th, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM

I've seens tons of parts for older cars of that era (I guess more for the Cutlass)...but have had the worst time finding any for the late 70's and 80's cars. Took me forever to just find a headlight **** replacement...and they wanted an arm and a leg for it! LOL Thankfully there are junkyards!
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the link Rocket. I'll check it out, see when things are happening.

It's sitting in the driveway now, I didn't have time to really start takin her apart though. Fortunately most all the seals are in good condition, a little bit of surface rust on the deck and in the trunk. Looks like the hardest part for me s going to be the electrical that needs fixing.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Few Pics

A few pics I snapped before going to run errands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1stDayBack.JPG (71.6 KB, 14 views)
1stDay-Front.JPG (76.0 KB, 14 views)
1stDaySide.JPG (66.2 KB, 9 views)
1stDaySide-Annie.JPG (82.8 KB, 17 views)
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:57 AM

Smile Rear view

Hi; Nice tail lights...welcome to the site..
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Oldsdruid

That's a 70. Make sure your title and registration are straight. It's Nugget Gold- one of the special order Toronado colors.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Welcome to the site and good luck with your Toro. You'll find lots of good infor here
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That's a 70. Make sure your title and registration are straight. It's Nugget Gold- one of the special order Toronado colors.
I may be in for a headache then, it has '69 on the old registrations that were in the glove box.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I thought that was a 70