The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi there

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Hi there

Hi guys, been a proud owner of a 1950 Oldsmobile 88 Four door for the past 13 years...my girlfriend refers to the car as my first wife...working on making her better all the time (I mean the car ;-) Lol ) Pics will follow shortly. Have lots of questions that I'll be asking as time goes buy, you can all guess that parts are always an issue. My car has been powered by a 350 olds block from '77...beat the hell outta that block, lol, I call it the Bruce Willis...would beat it down and it always came back for more. Sadly the car has been mothballed for two years as time and money have been equally elusive. Proud to say that I have recently purchased a 350 Olds block from 1968 which I have searched long and hard for. (Will definatly be asking advise on ways to rebuild this block, and where I should go for gearage and dif's) Presently preparing to do a frame off of the vehicle, she is without a doubt due for a major overhaul and will undoubtedly be doing retro fits on many aspects of the car, as much as I love the nostalgic aspects of the mechanics, such as the suspension system and breaking system...its a question of safety foremost (todays roads are just faster and more chaotic comapred to 60 years ago) and with the choices Ill be taking in the beefing up of the motor power and such...I know the drums would have a hecjk of a time (Will be asking questions about possible kits on the market to modify suspensions and changing to disc break later) So thats me in a very small and tight nutshell...proud to be an olds owner, and love the historical legacy of this wonderful division of cars, and looking forward to doing my part to keep it alive...oh yeah...Im a metal fabricator and welder by trade, and a roughneck railroader earning my way, soooo I try to do as much work on my old car as possible (But proud to say with alot of wisdom and experience from my fellow rodders both young and old) So keep those rides between the lines guys and gals, and thanks to welcoming into the fold! Cheers
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O.!
Great write up on the project car. Great idea on the resto mod; especially for safety if you're planning to run it a little harder. You have the metal skills, so it will be nice to see the tradeoffs you have to offer others who need your advice on metal work too!

Lots of folks on this site with the technical knowledge you'll be seeking.

I'm sure you're other wife won't mind 'too much' when you start dedicating more time to that 50. Keep her involved in it and it may go easier?

Looking forward to the pics that will be coming!
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Welcome aboard, love to see another 50 era car join the forum. When you have time post a few pictures, if you don't the guys and gals here will pester you to death.

There are quite a few threads on disk brake conversions and such down at the vintage forum. you might take a look. Lots of very knowledgeable people here, help is just a question away. By the way my wife calls ours the mistress.Lost in the 50's....Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; November 10th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome, lets get some pic's up.