The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi! '63 Starfire, new here..

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Hi! '63 Starfire, new here..

Any other 63 Starfires here? Here is mine, I live near Amsterdam, Holland, and I would like to start driving the Olds again. Had it in storage for 15 years! I'd like to modernize it a bit and get the Ross Racing adapter for the th400, anyone here done it? Also own a 9 sec. '69 GTO. Here is some pics:

starfire-hi-res-kopie.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Welcome to the site.Great looking cars.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

Nice cars both of them. Love that 63 is that a recent picture?
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Thanks! That 63 picture was actually a scan of an analog photo I took some 15 years ago. I partially restored it then with a rebuilt engine, new paint and trim. I never could get it to drive that good because of the crappy trans and a carb problem I never took care of. Also the original BF Goodrich Silvertown tires might have added to the crappy handling haha! But I love the original look of the tires. Got the GTO around that time and started working on that, and put the car away.
Actually my first car ever was a 63 dynamic 88 4door and I drove that car everywhere, it was dead reliable. France, Italy, Germany it would go and go anywhere! Great cars. I'd love to see some other 63 pics!
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:26 AM

.....And a hearty welcome from Germany!

I'll have to wait 'till I get around to looking on my home PC- I'm @ work & these d@mn PCs are so locked down most pics & videos can't be viewed!

I can tell you there is a '63 Cutlass 'vert in Germany, their moniker is convertible 63. 67olds98 is also from Germany, I think he's like me- American that got "stranded" in Germany!
If you get a chance, check out the Dr Mustang site & their meet last Jul weekend. Maybe you could come- over 1000 American cars in 2009!

Greetz,

Ralph
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Past Administrator

Your Starfire is beautiful. I love the silver accent down the side. Haven't used the adapter so could not give you any insight to that. We have lots of members here and someone should be able to help out. Welcome to CO.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM

Welkom to CO

Welkom

Do you know Pinkerd? He lives in Oostzaan.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...windmills.html
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

The 63 starfire is one of the best looking Olds ever produced. Glad your getting back to it. Check out the transmission forum the Ross conversion was discussed a little while back. It looks to be the best engineered conversion out there. Like the goat too
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:29 PM

Thank you everyone. German442, good to see there are Olds fans in Germany, wish I'd see more american muscle on the autobahn. I hope to race my GTO at Nitrolypics one day.
Jamesbo, I think I know him, we live very nearby. If I am correct he and his son race a Chevy at the Dutch dragraces. Good people.
Citcapp, yes I checked the trans forum just before I became a member and found out there about the Ross adapter. It indeed looks like the best adapter out there. It would be great if there would be no tunnel cutting. I will be getting one this winter after I finish freshening the GTO engine.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:23 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dutch injun
Thank you everyone. German442, good to see there are Olds fans in Germany, wish I'd see more american muscle on the autobahn.
As I said, I know convertible 63 & 67 Olds98 from this site. I normally go to 4 meets during the summer & there are always between 2 & 5 Olds there, most full size except for mine & a beautifully restored '66 Cutlass 'vert from Luxembourg. He claims it's a 442, but NOT with a 330 engine & no badges!
If you get time next summer, we could try to meet @ one of the meets- maybe Dr. Mustang. Dr Mustang is one of the biggest clubs, includes probably 30-40% non-Ford, so its a really big meet- this summer over 1000 cars!
Another would be in Luxembourg- over 500 cars.

Let me know- maybe we could get enough together to start a sub-chapter!

Ralph
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Jeff R

Thanks! That 63 picture was actually a scan of an analog photo I took some 15 years ago. I partially restored it then with a rebuilt engine, new paint and trim. I never could get it to drive that good because of the crappy trans and a carb problem I never took care of. Also the original BF Goodrich Silvertown tires might have added to the crappy handling haha! But I love the original look of the tires. Got the GTO around that time and started working on that, and put the car away.
Actually my first car ever was a 63 dynamic 88 4door and I drove that car everywhere, it was dead reliable. France, Italy, Germany it would go and go anywhere! Great cars. I'd love to see some other 63 pics!
I have a '62 Starfire, you might find the differences interesting, check it out.
Old November 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Thank you everyone. German442, good to see there are Olds fans in Germany, wish I'd see more american muscle on the autobahn. I hope to race my GTO at Nitrolypics one day.
Jamesbo, I think I know him, we live very nearby. If I am correct he and his son race a Chevy at the Dutch dragraces. Good people.
Citcapp, yes I checked the trans forum just before I became a member and found out there about the Ross adapter. It indeed looks like the best adapter out there. It would be great if there would be no tunnel cutting. I will be getting one this winter after I finish freshening the GTO engine.
Hey!

Check out this thread!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-germany.html

Ralph